IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A short Trip in Indonesia

rthink

i keep coming back to this thread,the pix are sp fantastic! great work!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

• 2 weeks later...
Rthink,

Do you know Dr. Witono personally? Do you think it is possible to get a tour? I am going back probably in September/October. I wouldn't mind a tour... The last time I was there, we had a 3 months old and 2.5 years old with us and we couldn't stay for more than 3 hours, as they were starting to get bored and cried continuously!! So, next time we might try without the kids.

A$8000!!!! I know cycads are expensive, but not that expensive!! Are you sure you don't have too many zero's there? BTW, where is the flona? Indonesian aren't that big on palms in general. Hendriks would know where to find them (Hendriks, where are you???). You could've contacted him before you go. I guess Vasin will visit Jakarta quite regularly??

If you see my NT Government House thread, there is a pic of C. spicatus. This palm is easily 5-6m (my vertical estimation is not that accurate though - I reckoned it was taller, but my other half didn't think so). It is planted in the shade on a slope...

Regards, Ari :)

Hi Ari and every one,

Sorry was late to respond. The Flona area was at Lapangan Banteng front of Hotel Borobudur previously Intercontinental Hotel, this event were named Flora & Fauna Jakarta. Ari you were right, Indonesian were not at Palms trends. On year 2007, Anthurium generas were the primadona which had been sold above US$ 40,000 for A. Jenmanii specimen 20y.o 4 meter height. Some of you might have seen this at Aroids website of this insanity prices. On 2008, Encephalartos species is the main collectors investment. The seller will quote you the highest price for it. Especially if you are not a natives.

Ari, Vasin & rthink or anyone, if you will visit Jakarta, Indonesia. And if, your aims are to purchase Palm seeds or variegated or crested one or natives Moluccan or Irian Jaya. You may go to Rawa Belong area to Kampung Sukabumi area. That is the biggest area to search UNUSUAL Palms or rare other species. Like Pinanga Aristata or Maculata (see PASCOA @ Palms) or Licuala Mapu, even real variegated Raphis Tenzan and Coccothrinax Crinita etc, you name it. But quite difficult to hold sellers' prices that every time changes. Or you want to see 80 years old Coconut Tree with 3 branches at mid trunks. Have anyone heard it? Will not be enough for one day to observe this area. Need a week then you will find the unsual one.

At Bogor Botanical, Teijsmann Park. There was a female 40cm caudex 60cm height, a famous E. Horridus (I saw it on 2002), about +300 y.o. The plant was stolen, now stay at unknown collector. It was like Hewson Collection, truly perfect dimension very blue leaf, check A&A Cycad. Ask Dr. Winoto where it gone.

Regards,

Hendriks

Edited by ixigena

Ari,

Some are more expensive than my country but some are very good price. The flowering size of C. micholitzii is about 750K rupiah...(about 100 AUD i think) and flowering mapu is about 5-6 million rupiah (600-700 AUD)

Greg lives just 5 km south of Bogor Garden. Dr. Witono may help you for direction and appointment. :)

Oh...I forgot to reveal the name of that silver plant..Check the picture..I don't know what make them so silvery like this..

Gronophyllum Pinanga Silver

Thanks Hendriks,

Pity... you won't be going home at the end of Sept. It would be good to catch up. My dad might know where it is. It has been a while since I went to Rawa Belong. He is not into palms either, so it might be hard to convince him to drive me there... I don't drive there anymore, he won't let me :mrlooney: . I won't buy plants as I can't take them home, but it would be good if I can pick up some seeds.

It make sense what you said about Anthurium craze in 2007. My dad used to have this 10 years old anthurium. I can't remember which sort. But someone offered him Rp. 4 million for it... so he sold it to him :). He doesn't follow the craze, he just buy heaps of other plants and grow them. He trully has green thumb. He doesn't believe in spending so much money for plants.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thanks Hendriks,

Pity... you won't be going home at the end of Sept. It would be good to catch up. My dad might know where it is. It has been a while since I went to Rawa Belong. He is not into palms either, so it might be hard to convince him to drive me there... I don't drive there anymore, he won't let me :mrlooney: . I won't buy plants as I can't take them home, but it would be good if I can pick up some seeds.

It make sense what you said about Anthurium craze in 2007. My dad used to have this 10 years old anthurium. I can't remember which sort. But someone offered him Rp. 4 million for it... so he sold it to him :). He doesn't follow the craze, he just buy heaps of other plants and grow them. He trully has green thumb. He doesn't believe in spending so much money for plants.

I can give you my contact, friend at Rawa Belong area in Jakarta. He does not speak English. But he is quite dependable and have huge of variegated stocks. His name is Mr. Jejen (mobile no: +6281584125230). At my last visit on 2006, he had specimen/ flowering variegated foxtail palm. Just mention my second name to him, from Bandung. He can show you the area.

To anyone at this forum who might want to travel to this area, I will be flying home on June 2009. I will take you around to find rare palms. At same time I'll be shopping also.

Regards,

Hendriks

Hi Hendrix,

Thanks a lot for your information. We've been trying to find nurseries that sell palms but there were none. But I'm sure Vasin will have plenty of time exploring that area.

Too bad that 300 years old E. horridus was stolen, if it was there, it may be my only opportunity to see that old specimen.

I used to see one big E. horridus at New York Botanical garden but no idea how old that would be. Anyway, the big clump of E. gratus (or another species, i'm not sure) is already breathtaking. Our trip members are still talking about it.

Chalermchart Soorangura

Bangkok, Thailand

http://picasaweb.google.com/csoorangura/My...key=u11QvNs-qbM

Thanks, Hendriks. I talk Indonesian too... lol.

masak sih?.....

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Yes... Paul. Saya bisa bicara bahasa Indonesia dengan lancar... :) . Bagaimana dengan anda?

Chalermchart,

Unfortunately theft is not something uncommon back home. I am a bit embarrashed to admit it. The worst thing is people actually buying them?? Anyway, I contacted Vasin.. unfortunately he won't be there in Indonesia when I go back, as it is the end of Ramadhan. I think he is going back home then. Hopefully I can catch up with him in Darwin instead. Hopefully, he can have fun shopping there instead.... I think visiting people with exotics palms will be a complete torture for me!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"