IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Adventure at the Osa Peninsula

Jeff in St Pete

Jeff, fantastic photos! You really scored with the scarlet macaws -- especially the photos of the attack macaw, that's crazy. I can only echo Jeff Searle's comments about Corcovado -- I recognize a lot of the landmarks as well, including the waterfall. Could that one palm really be 500 years old??? Looks like you had a wonderful adventure, thanks for posting the photos.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks everyone!

Don, I didn't see any of the blue/gold Macaws, only the scarlet ones. To see them in flight was an amazing sight.

Jeff, I thought about you when I saw all those beautiful Zamias!

Kim, I can laugh about the attack Macaw now but at the time it really shook me up! It came gliding up behind me without a sound and then let out a blood curdling scream as it passed my ear. I like a bird with a sense of humor!

I couldn't even guess how old that Asterogyne is, 500 years seems a bit much to me but that's what the guide is telling people. During our hike, she was more interested in showing us animals and birds than plant life.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Jeff,

I bet that the bird does that to other people he sees and enjoys the reaction. They certainly are smart enough to do that. They make such a racket to begin with.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

the crazed killer macaw, I almost spit soda all over my laptop, great stuff!

The oil palm is E.oleifera, the stems creep along the ground much like some ancient Serenoa do in fields here. Are the Zamia epiphytes? If so most likely Z.pseudoparasitica, gorgeous plants. I am certainly envious of your locale, one of these days ...

- dave

Jeff, fantastic adventure! I cannot believe the trunks on those Zamias. I always looked at Osa Peninsula on the map when we were down around that area, but too remote to get to. Now I know what part of it looks like. Keep the pics coming. Hopefully there was always someone at the boat so you did not get stuck high & dry, with the large tidal swings. Did it rain everyday?

Jeff,

Your photos are great. It's really hard to get good photos of the wildlife due to the low light and dense vegetation, but the photos of the owl and the trogons are pretty good. Scarlet Macaws are very noisy birds aren't they. Out of all the places I have been to in Costa Rica, the Osa was the best. I was down at the other end though, Cabo Matapalo. I am planning on returning to the Osa on my next trip down there.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Wow, what a great travelogue! So many great photos, my favorites were of landscape + beach, like the view from your balcony, and those amazing shots (plus story) of the killer Macaw! That was really enjoyable to read and view, it let's you imagine you're there!

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Dave, thanks for the ID on the Elaeis. I just assumed it was guineensis. As far as the Zamias, I don't think they were epiphytes, they were all growing in the ground.

Mike, there always seemed to be someone on the boat. They couldn't always bring the larger boat in close to the beach and sometimes we would have to climb into a smaller boat which would then bring us onshore. It did rain everyday but mostly in the late afternoon and evenings. One morning we woke up to rain but it quickly cleared up and the sun came out. Next time you come to Costa Rica, you will definitely need to check out the Osa!

Jake, you're right, the lighting in the forest is not good and it's very hard to get good animal pictures. The Macaws are VERY noisy! You can always tell when they are in the area. Next time I want to go down to Puerto Jimenez and the southern part of the Osa.

Thanks Mark! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

What great pics Jeff! I snagged one of the macaw pics as my new wallpaper. Too cool! I can just imagine that scenario playing out with that macaw :lol: :lol: Those camera skills are really coming along! Some visit I'd like to go there, looks gorgeous!

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Hi Jeff!! great pictures.

I did the same trip, and I went to Poor mans paradise as well, that was 5 years ago, and for me and my friend that trip became the begining of a new life... traveling and discovering places like Osa is what I like the most now. I feel like a landscape hunter.

I think that the name of your guide in corcovado is Consuelo, Am I wrong?? she said to us that that palm was 500 years old too, but the funniest thing was when she tried to convinced us that the Socrateas were palms that enjoy walking arround using their aerial roots to do so hahaha!!

I don't know if they still have "Paco" an amazonas parrot, it was very funny and he enjoyed having dinner with us. My name is Paco also so my friend was having a lot of fun joking about the parrot and me!!

We went to Isla del caño and we did snorkeling there. It is a very good place to swim with sharks and to enjoy the always beautifull coral fish.

Osa is a very unique place.

P.S: by the way, we got the same cabin as you did, beautifull views over the coconut trees and the ocean, the only thing I wasn't feeling very confortable with in Poor mans paradise , was walking at night time to reach the toilets thinking ¡I'm about to crush one of those huge toads!

Pura vida.

"Not the straight angle that attracts me, nor straight, hard, inflexible, created by man. What attracts me is the free and sensual curve, the curves that find in the mountains of my country, in the course of its winding rivers, the sea waves, the body of the woman preferred. Curves is done throughout the universe, the universe of Einstein's curved." -Oscar Niemeyer

What a wonderful piece of paradise!

Thank you for sharing your trip, impressions & great pictures.

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Thanks Bren, the next time you visit, we should definitely go to the Osa, maybe the southern part!

Hi Paco, You are right! Our guide's name is Consuelo. She works at Poor Man's Paradise and went on tours with guests almost every day. Turns out she is pretty well known. A German guy that was also staying there told us he heard all about Consuelo on a German travel forum. She speaks Spanish, German and English. Socratea is referred to as the "walking palm" here but she didn't tell us that story, I've heard that one before. Oh and I didn't see a parrot named Paco, I'm not sure if I just missed seeing him or maybe he is no longer there. Our cabin had a private bathroom so we only had to walk a few feet with our flashlight to reach it at night. They give you a list of things to bring with you and the most important was a flashlight! I can't imagine walking around that place at night trying to find the bathroom. It really gets dark out there when they turn the lights out at 10pm!

Simona, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

My friend Colleen got back to PA last week and emailed me her pics so I thought I would post some of them here.

After meeting her at the airport in San Jose, we drove back to Manuel Antonio that afternoon. We stopped at the Tarcoles Bridge so she could check out the crocs. This is the same bridge that the IPS members crossed during the Biennial on the way to Carara National Park.

1.jpg

2.jpg

We had three days in Manuel Antonio before leaving for the Osa. One day we had lunch at GAIA (a local hotel) and also got a personal tour of the hotel and spa from one of the owners.

The hotel is on the top of a mountain and has some great views.

Rooftop deck of one of the suites

4.jpg

Luna Restaurant

7.jpg

Along the river during the boat ride to Poor Man's Paradise

8.jpg

20.jpg

Me with my camera ready

23.jpg

We make a quick stop at this dock to unload some building supplies for a house along the river.

21.jpg

Corcovado

28.jpg

Me inside the hollow tree taking a picture

27.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

Her owl picture came out much better than mine

32.jpg

33.jpg

Ranger Station

35.jpg

Ginger

36.jpg

Scarlet Macaw at the National Park

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

Flowers on the beach

41.jpg

More flowers

43.jpg

44.jpg

Root ball of a massive tree that fell over. This root ball was the size of a single story house.

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

On her whale watching/dolphin excursion, they saw a mother whale with a calf and some dolphins.

49.jpg

50.jpg

Boat landing on the beach

51.jpg

53.jpg

Heading back to Sierpe

55.jpg

56.jpg

After we entered the river, the captain took a short-cut back. He took us through some very narrow channels through mangrove swamps. At times it seemed as though the boat was not going to fit.

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

Driving back to Manuel Antonio

62.jpg

The new marina being built

67.jpg

65.jpg

At the airport in San Jose

68.jpg

Dear Jeff :)

thanks for the lovely tour,the camera and your photography is simply stunning...

iam very fond of AmazonDK's travelogs,but i must say you have made us all feel as though we are travelling with you..

And page one stills resolution is fentastic,its so nice i feel like using it as postcards for greeting our members on their birthdays...

thanks & keep up the good work :greenthumb:

lots of love to u,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hello Jeff,

Your thread sure brings back memories! And it reminds me that I have not finished posting my pictures of Corcovado. Is it too late? :unsure:

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

Hello Jeff,

Your thread sure brings back memories! And it reminds me that I have not finished posting my pictures of Corcovado. Is it too late? :unsure:

It's never too late!!!!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hi Kris, I'm glad you enjoyed the stills! Please feel free to use any of them. :)

Hi George, It's never too late to post photos of Corcovado. Please post them!

Great pictures Jeff.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Jeff...what was the name of the place you stayed? :winkie: just kidding.

I really liked your pictures, your lucky to live someplace like that. I visited many years ago and remembered the crocs.....and the guy with the assault rifle hidden in the bushes guarding the crocs.

Do they still have to guard them from poachers?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Jeff...what was the name of the place you stayed? :winkie: just kidding.

I really liked your pictures, your lucky to live someplace like that. I visited many years ago and remembered the crocs.....and the guy with the assault rifle hidden in the bushes guarding the crocs.

Do they still have to guard them from poachers?

David, I've never seen anyone guard the crocs although there is a small police building at one end of the bridge and there usually is a police presence there. So maybe they are in charge of guarding the crocs.

Wow it's beautiful there. Thank you for showing the pics Jeff. Excellent photography.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Wow, thanks for sharing the pictures. My favorites were those with the Macaw flying around you. Looks like a great place to visit.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Jeff, I can only ditto what Mark NoVA said above:

Wow, what a great travelogue! So many great photos, my favorites were of landscape + beach, like the view from your balcony, and those amazing shots (plus story) of the killer Macaw! That was really enjoyable to read and view, it let's you imagine you're there!

Yes you are lucky to have chosen to live in such a beautiful part of the Americas! Silvia and I truly enjoyed our short stay with you in May. Thanks for showing us around beautiful Manuel Antonio and Quepos area. It wouldn't be hard for me to chose to live in your area, that's for sure. "Pura Vida!"

Aloha,

Al in Kona

A short distance from your place of us on the beach at Manuel Antonio in May, 2008

post-90-1219552701_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Al, Thanks for the photo. You and Silvia are welcome here anytime. I had a great time with you guys before the Biennial.

Luis Diego, maybe the Osa can go on the list of possible meeting places for our new group - Asociación Costarricense de Palmeras. :)