IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Baronii complex

doubravsky

This group is probably my favorite overall. They seem to take sun out here, they are pretty cold hardy.... and have a great troppical look.

I have in the ground several Baronii, Onilahensis (some weeping, some not), Ambositrae, and plenty of Lutescens

In pots.... Heteromorpha, Psammophila, Arenarum, Albofinarosa, and St. Lucei

Are there others in this complex that have some hardiness (28-30 from time to time).... ????? I'm thinking of what to add next....

thoughts?

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

How about Dypsis decipiens? This palm is found growing in the same area as D. ambositrae.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

i heard somewhere that arenarum is synonymous with lutescens...think thats true? :huh:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Jeff.... I do have 4 decipiens.... forgot to list them! They seem to really thrive in my inland climate.

Po... I have heard that. I just have one little arenerum that I got from JD in OC... and it's just a one gallon little guy. For the time being he looks just like a Lutescens at that size. I've heard that the Arenerum comes from higher elevation and is maybe a little hardier. Can anyone comment?

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

How about Dypsis sp "black stem". We haven't heard about that one in over a year. I just know it's the one I want the most.

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/index.php/D....27black_stem%27

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

What's a baronii complex exactly ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

If you have the Palms of Madagascar book, just turn to page 476. Hope this helps.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Wal,

If you have the Palms of Madagascar book, just turn to page 476. Hope this helps.

No it doesn't but thanks Jeff for a reply.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I didnt read page 476 in our book but I believe they are referring to caneing Dypsis species.

Do you have Dypsis humblotiana? If not, your collection is not complete. :winkie:

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

More creativity Christian?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Dave, All of the choices you made are good ones. There is so much variability within each species sometimes you can end up with completely differant looking palms than the typical, say Baronii. I purchased dozens of Baronii's from the same source back in the day and so far I have ended up with 5 completely differant looking palms. You could also say that for Onilahensis and others. The people colecting the seed often misidentify the palms as well perpetuating the ongoing Dypsis Mysteries. If you like the color black on palms you'll like these in what I call the "Blackout complex" :drool: Some will retain this color and some may not but I enjoy palms at all stages of growth. This first one I bought as Dypsis Ambiliensis. Some say it is Psammophla but it is differant from what I bought from Floribunda as Psammy so who knows?

Steve

post-351-1217938491_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

This one I bought as Onilahensis. It had these dark colors when I purchased it and they have become more pronounced with age. It also is a strong grower growing twice as fast as my other "upright" forms.

post-351-1217938742_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

This one I am even more excited about as the actual trunk rings are staying black. Dypsis Baronii.

post-351-1217938862_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

And this one will probably change but out of all my Albofarinosas I just bought 2 had this nice coloration. Hope you enjoyed and good luck in your quest for more varieties of clumping Dypsis.

Steve

post-351-1217939044_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Steve

Those are some nice specimens you have there with the dark trunks. How long does the coloration stay dark? I don't have POM but will have to get a copy. Is pembana considered the same complex?

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Yeah, mayotte, pembana, lanceolata, mahajanga, slick willie

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

post-51-1217970979_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I thought pembana was up the street in the Cabadae Complex, and mahajanga was around the corner in the Madagascariensis Complex.

I wonder if decaryi, leptocheilos and lasteliana are thinking of merging to form their own sub-genus as well.

I really need to get a copy of Palms of Madagascar.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

You're probably right Terry. I just think of those medium stem diameter clumpers as the same.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Wal,

Before you confuse everyone, I just have to clear up your honest mistake. THAT is the "Baronii Institute" (or BI for short), it's where they study the Baronii complex (BC), and it was founded by the Baronii Movement (BM...uhhhh...yeah). This post was started by a normal person but has been kept alive by the BM (not BS as you may think). They are probably pouring over our every word over in this thread over at the BI.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Ummmm,

I'm thinking I remember something in the guidelines somewhere about staying on topic? :)

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I just read some where that one tablespoon of mustard will stop the hickups. Interesting??

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Back on track.......

I don't know if it's considered a baronii like species, but Dypsis scottiana is worth trying. It's a little small clumping species from the south of Madagscar on sand. It's becoming extinct for a number of reasons, one being that the stems make great crab and crayfish pots by the local fisherman.

I'm just beginning to really love this species. I bought one a while back, that although a slowish grower has a slim beautiful black furry stem. It's cute, so cute I bought another one on the weekend, that didn't look as happy as my first one, but when I got it home, noticed it had two little baby stems coming out from the base horizontally with leaves and spears and everything.

This species has taken cool wet conditions in full shade in my garden and looks great. I don't know if it will handle 28-30F, but it's from the extreme south of the Great Island, and it's small enough to be grown under canopy, so unless you get really cold, I think it should be fine under canopy. Cool moist shady conditions don't bother it one bit.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Steve

Those are some nice specimens you have there with the dark trunks. How long does the coloration stay dark? I don't have POM but will have to get a copy. Is pembana considered the same complex?

Thanks Don. So far the palms with the dark rings of trunk stay that way for many weeks and in some cases many months. Without looking at POM I believe Pembana is in with Cabadae, Lanceolata and Sp. Mayotte.

Steve

Steve,

Your palms are looking good.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry! We'll be back on da big island in a couple of weeks :) . Hope to see ya then.

Steve

Back on track.......

I don't know if it's considered a baronii like species, but Dypsis scottiana is worth trying. It's a little small clumping species from the south of Madagscar on sand. It's becoming extinct for a number of reasons, one being that the stems make great crab and crayfish pots by the local fisherman.

I'm just beginning to really love this species. I bought one a while back, that although a slowish grower has a slim beautiful black furry stem. It's cute, so cute I bought another one on the weekend, that didn't look as happy as my first one, but when I got it home, noticed it had two little baby stems coming out from the base horizontally with leaves and spears and everything.

This species has taken cool wet conditions in full shade in my garden and looks great. I don't know if it will handle 28-30F, but it's from the extreme south of the Great Island, and it's small enough to be grown under canopy, so unless you get really cold, I think it should be fine under canopy. Cool moist shady conditions don't bother it one bit.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

I couldn't agree with you more. I have been growing some of these now for several years and really like the palm. And......their doing really well in my garden. I love the black colors in the stem

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 9 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2008‎ ‎8‎:‎19‎:‎52‎, Jeff Searle said:

Tyrone,

I couldn't agree with you more. I have been growing some of these now for several years and really like the palm. And......their doing really well in my garden. I love the black colors in the stem

Jeff

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2008‎ ‎8‎:‎19‎:‎07‎, Urban Rainforest said:

This one I bought as Onilahensis. It had these dark colors when I purchased it and they have become more pronounced with age. It also is a strong grower growing twice as fast as my other "upright" forms.

post-351-1217938742_thumb.jpg

Is this the infamous Dypsis sp. 'black stem'?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Moose, I remember seeing that palm in Steve's garden. I'm pretty sure we all figured it was onilihensis at the time. 

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

• 1 year later...
On 8/4/2008 at 10:10 AM, doubravsky said:

This group is probably my favorite overall. They seem to take sun out here, they are pretty cold hardy.... and have a great troppical look.

I have in the ground several Baronii, Onilahensis (some weeping, some not), Ambositrae, and plenty of Lutescens

In pots.... Heteromorpha, Psammophila, Arenarum, Albofinarosa, and St. Lucei

Are there others in this complex that have some hardiness (28-30 from time to time).... ????? I'm thinking of what to add next....

thoughts?

How are all your clumping dypsis growing?  Pics?