IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aug 2008 weather

Tyrone

Hi Scott,

I've had lots of light showers this month but not the accumulations of last month. This westerly wind that brings morning showers typically leaves me mostly dry. I'm also above 40" for the year so can't complain too much. Besides, we still have about 6 weeks before the rainy season shuts down.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Here's the forecast for Perth. Where did all the winter rain go? :huh:

It's been nice and sunny, but the nights could be warmer. I spose that's what you get for having cloudless skies at 32S in August.

Forecast for Tuesday

Fine. Moderate E'ly winds, fresh and gusty about the hills in the morning.

Precis: Fine.

City: Max 19

Mandurah: Max 18

UV Alert: 11:10 am to 1:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 3 [Moderate]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Wednesday Fine. Min 6 Max 20

Thursday Fine. Min 6 Max 22

Friday Fine, partly cloudy. Min 5 Max 21

Saturday Fine. Min 5 Max 20

Sunday Fine. Min 6 Max 20

Monday Fine. Min 6 Max 20

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Another good rain today.

FINALLY!

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hey Thibodeaux,

We get a front with a 60% chance tomorrow. Still 5" below normal

and 18" behind last year at this time, though. Hopefully, you'll get

it on Tuesday night or Wednesday.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Welcome to my world...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Welcome to my world...

Except that Darwin had 200+ mm of evaporation for July compared to Perth's 60mm.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Woo hoo! post-193-1218558663_thumb.png

Woo hoo! post-193-1218558663_thumb.png

I am watching it come down also. Now that is a good old Southern summer sight, now isn't it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Well Keith. I hope you got something out of it.

For the umpteenth time this year, I watched a

promising front head straight for my house and

then fall apart at the last minute. I didn't even

get spit on.

Steve

get spit on.

Steve

A little. Just enough to keep the leaf diseases nice and healthy.

I've been watering lately as we've had no rain for a week and a half. Palms like my majestic are sapping the soil so dry, it's become hydrophobic. Coconut loves this sunny weather. No rain forecast for the forseeable future. Weird August. The flying ants are out already, about 3 or 4 weeks early.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Except that Darwin had 200+ mm of evaporation for July compared to Perth's 60mm.

Daryl

No wonder everything is so dry....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Bill,

Can you move some of those little guys under an overhang?

Ray

Over all the Summer has been milder than normal in N. Calif. That means the highs have been lower if that makes any sense. Actually, better weather for palms than the sizzling heat we normally get in July and August.

Ants have been coming into my house for the past week, and I've heard others make the same comment. They usually come inside preceding cool or wet weather. I wonder if the ants know something we don't? We would not normally expect rain until late Sept. or Oct. If Summer is any gage, then I think we can expect a cold winter. I heard the Atlantic is warmer than normal and the Pacific is cooler. Calif. is in a drought and if we don't get the clouds in the winter, we get clear cold nights.

Dick

Richard Douglas

get spit on.

Steve

Well Steve, it finally happened. About 3:30am the heavens opened up with fire and rain. The lightening was so intense, it was nearly non-stop for a couple of hours. The rain was still going when I left for work at 8am. I felt like I was in Louisiana for the first time this summer.

Laissez le bon temps PLEUVEZ!

cher

Well I'm sick of this high pressure zone that has made it's home just south of Oz. It's almost stationary directing dry strong winds from the interior almost without stop. It's making some lovely warm days, but cool to cold nights. I'm having to water a lot now. I'm looking forward to the high shifting and letting a cold front with some moist westerlies through, but none is forecast for at least a week. A record dry August here.

regards

Tyrone

Could be worse here, could be shivering cold winds as well. Either way, this is the longest coldest batch of weather I can recall and definitely the longest cold run since I've been planting palms.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Not a drop of rain for nearly 3 weeks !!! :o shock horror ... as usual the shops are selling out of hose fittings and sprinklers etc. A few dark clouds around , but if I don't race around irrigating , it will never rain ..

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

It was beautiful and sunny and 23C today. Pretty cold at night. Flying ants were out again. It's bone dry, and no rain forecast.

regards

Tyrone

The rain is back from vacation.

Overnight low was 19 deg C last night... it is getting warmer... I would be cursing soon that it is too hot to do anything. The A/C will be going full blast... but at least away with this dry wind and the plants will be growing instead of going into state of dormancy. It is so bad this year even my bamboos have stopped growing... 'Doh!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Sunny and 24C today. I did a bit of fertilising of the palms in pots today. Rain would be nice. :) 22C tomorrow and sunny.

regards

Tyrone

No people on this board that is living in Poland? The weather there the last 2 day's has not been nice... and scary for those people there. Heavy thunderstorms with hail just like little balls, also tornado again... the think about F2 or F3.. 3 people has died.

Look at this movie, some people on a bus seen the tornado coming... it must been scary too seen that.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ER4CIOSOY

The hail... brrrrrr

478d13031b2c39a2c95ee002c7e850cf,9,1.jpg

8483a79dec54d1fcfe6aef144a76c979,9,1.jpg

b7968b441895411aed677c3663f96cdb,9,1.jpg

Southwest

The weather over here it not really warm but not too cold... around the 22-23C and sunny. Maybe in the late august we get some really summerheat again... Normally when a hurricane is hitting Florida and other states we get here most of the time some sun and heat.

Robbin

Southwest

Well, at least on this end, things are returning to normal. It is raining two of every three days. The ground is getting spongy again and it is about time. Hopefully, now my palms can put on some serious growth before winter comes around.

Well it was sunny and 24C yesterday, and 23C forecast for today. Cold nights, but they're forecast to get warmer over the coming week. Maybe, just a tiny possibility of rain tomorrow night. I'll believe it when I see it, but the cloud cover will keep the nights much warmer than they've been. After that we're back to 23C weather.

regards

Tyrone

It was real hot yesterday morning then clouded up and there was a bit of rain. Today around noon there was an intense rain storm and the rest of the day stayed cloudy. Last week almost every day was around 37 C / 98 F. For the most part it will continue like this until November. August and September are the hottest and the driest months of the year. Tomorrow I am going up to the northern hemishpere on the other side of the equater into the rainy season where it is wetter and somewhat cooler.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I am getting really sick of complaining about the weather, but it is 31deg C and 17% humidity today. Shocking cool dry wind too!! My bore is running full on.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, You're the only person I know who cools a 31C dry wind "cool". That's a hot wind. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

No... the wind actually cool... trust me.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

No... the wind actually cool... trust me.

I trust you Ari, but isn't a cool wind when it's 31c a good thing ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It is when you are people... not so much for the heliconias... You should see them, they look so ratty.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I left the southern hemisphere this morning with a pretty typical dry seaon summer day in Manaus. The temperature was on its way to around 37 C / 97 F. I got to Boa Vista in the northern hemisphere after lunch in a rain storm. The weather cleared up somewhat and it turned out to be a nice afternoon. The first picture is from a street near my house where some remanants of the original vegetation still hang on, the Oenocarpus bataua trees. It is sort of a funky view I see while leaving my house every morning. At least that is not my house. The palms are nice though. The other picture is an afternoon shot in the savanna land near Boa Vista on a winter afternoon.

dk

post-188-1219095830_thumb.jpg

post-188-1219096179_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Beautiful pics Don.

Are those clouds in the second pic on the equator? I've heard that right on the equator winds will just change direction. ie a SW wind will change into a SE wind on the equator. I think I got that right.

Well we got rain today. Just enough to wet the foliage and bring the dewpoints up. Much better than the neg 9C dewpoint yesterday. :( But gone is the sunny warm weather. It's cloudy and cool. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Averages are averages, or when it rains it pours.

The turnaround has occured. Our 13" rain deficit is now down to 9" and we are 4" rain above normal for the month of August and it is only the 18th. We are getting an inch or two everyday. Got to go fertilize now as the nitrogen leaches away fast when we get in these rainy periods.

Tyrone,

The clouds are south of where I was. I would put them at about 1.5 degrees North. I will try to see what the wind does next time I drive over the equator. What is interesting is that as you drive you can see the weather change as you get closer to the equator many times.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I've never lived in the north of equator before. I think I visited Thailand once, but never actually observe the weather, etc, etc. It would be interesting to see the change as you go pass the equator...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"