IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aug 2008 weather

Tyrone

I thought I'd start an Aug 08 weather thread as no one has done it yet.

It's cool but sunny here in West Oz. It's meant to be sunny nearly every day right up until at least mid Aug. Not bad for winter, but I could do with spring right now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The lows are too low, single digits and dry air do nothing for me and my garden I'm afraid. Even the New Guinea impatiens are miserable.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Is it August already? :blink: Scary, how the year has gone so quick. Soon, it will be build up (hot and humid with afternoon storm - well, probably not for another 2-3 months), the grass will start growing again :angry: , the plants are speeding up :) , unfortunately so will the weeds :angry: . Can't wait... I have enough of this cold night. Although, I can feel that it is definitely getting warmer. I know I would be cursing the weather comes the build up!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I am glad to see it go, but for the opposite reason, far too dry here. We finished July with 4" less than normal, and year to date we are 12.3' below normal. Sure been hell on the non-established stuff. A quick count if 5 plants lost, and a few more may go into winter too weak to make it, unless we have a really mild one.

Looks like you might be getting some rain soon, Keith.

San Antonio sits directly north of land (Mexico) and it makes a big difference rainfall. (28 per yr)

Go 50 miles east of San Antonio and rainfall goes up to about 40 inches per year.

I wouldn't mind your water bills. Even your highest.

It's been a killer hot year. Record drought. Currently it's 100 degrees.

Dallas and Austin have had it much hotter than us.

Yep, looks like interesting things coming my way. Pink dot is my location.

post-1207-1217820218_thumb.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

What a weird day today... 35 deg C with 20% humidity!!! The plants got knocked about by the dry wind!! It is like build up weather without the humidity. The plants didn't like it one bit!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I've had 14 incehs of rain since July 1. It's hard to complain about that.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I have been over in Iquitos, Peru for the past few days. There is more breeze here than in Manaus. And, last night it was sort of a slightly cool breeze.

The weather right now is a bit cooler than Manaus at this time of day. But, only a little bit, 1 to 2 C.

dk

Current Weather Conditions

Iquitos, Peru

(SPQT) 03-45S 073-15W 126M

Conditions at

2008.08.04 1100 UTC

Wind Calm

Visibility less than 1 mile

Sky conditions clear

Weather Fog

Temperature 71 F (22 C)

Dew Point 71 F (22 C)

Relative Humidity 100%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.83 in. Hg (1010 hPa)

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

We have had a very wet, soggy July and it seems to be continuing right into August. No complaints here.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

It was a sunny 20C today. Ahhhh Spring is around the corner.

Ari, when it's 35C and 20% humidity just flood your garden. Put all your sprayers on and just let it all get wet. What you are experiencing is a typical Perth summer day.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone,

Tell me about it!!! I can see even the trees don't like it one bit!!! This was the second day today... as I was home nursing 2 sick children, I could put the sprinkler on. But tomorrow... might not be the case. I hope either the temperature will drop or the humidity will rise...

You can keep your summer, Tyrone.. I don't like it either.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, It's not always low humidity here in summer, especially if you're near the coast which can get quite humid. Every year Perth is getting more humid in summer. We had a few days last summer where we had hot rain and 32C with that misty humidity haze during the middle of the day. Low humidity is a pain, so I'm glad I've got retic.

I hope your kids are OK and the weather picks up for you.

Best regards

Tyrone

San Antonio has been under exceptional drought. (8 inches this year. We're 11 inches short)

La Nina depleted us last fall, winter and spring.

Got some rain in July, which was a huge relief.

The horrific subtropical high has settled over the Southern Plains: Austin, Dallas, and Oklahoma City have been hit hardest. (Highs way into the triple digits)

Dallas has had it's share of 105/78 days.

Nation's high August 4th: Enid, Okla: 108F

The subtropical high is a fairly common summer issue in the Southern Plains.

It begins to receed first, from Oklahoma, usually around Labor Day.

San Antonio usually isn't hit as hard. (Must be the humidity)

We've been in the high 90's.

Linda

San Antonio, TX

29.50N 98 W Elev: 950 ft

Zone 8b/9a (Half my zip code 8, other half 9) Heat Zone 10

Currently, all my palms are hardy to 8b.

լինդա կարամանիան մալդոնադո

(My name: Armenian)

After too warm July, that was month number 7 this year... august start cool with some rain, clouds, sun.. tempetures around or above average. Tomorrow and thursday we gonna get some warm day's again with 27-29C/80.6-84.2F and the nights between the 17-19C/62.2-66.2F

Robbin

Southwest

The next 7 days here look like the worst for palms, dry and cold minimums around 6c , hopefully the maximums of 20c - 22c will save the day. Fortunately for me, most of my plants are established and may just do the hibernation thing before they explode into perfect weather at months end. :unsure:

Ari, if I hear you complaining about cold weather again, I think I'm gonna be sick. :lol:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ari and Tyrone: I don't speak much metric, but it sounds like your guys are having a fairly warm (hot) winter.

:blink:

Edited by PricklyPearSATX

Linda

San Antonio, TX

29.50N 98 W Elev: 950 ft

Zone 8b/9a (Half my zip code 8, other half 9) Heat Zone 10

Currently, all my palms are hardy to 8b.

լինդա կարամանիան մալդոնադո

(My name: Armenian)

The rain just keeps coming. What a stark contrast from one year ago. This is how I remember it as a child.

It was a beautiful sunny 21C (70F) day today. A bit cold at night again. It got down close to 2C. The coconut in the enclosure didn't care. It pushed about 5mm of spear overnight. It would have got down to 8C in there, but the day was in the 40's C in there. The maximum's tend to matter more than the minimums.

Best regards

Tyrone

The rain just keeps coming. What a stark contrast from one year ago. This is how I remember it as a child.

It is a beautiful thing.....

Ray,

What a difference makes from one year to the next, huh?

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I am at home, in the middle of a big old lightening and thunder storm, one with those big old raindrops. It has been so long. I hope it goes for hours, but the radar says I might only get to enjoy it for very short time.

I'll be back, gonna go dance in the yard for a while.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The weatherman said good chance of rain with all the humidity left in the air, no such luck.

Last year was very unusual in that it rained, and rained and rained, cleared up for a bit and then rained some more.

I remember I was so happy I installed french drains and catch basins throughout the yard...now they're empty and dry as a bone.

The day before yesterday it was a nasty day... it was cloudy not really cold around the 20C but sometimes it rain... but in the middle of the afternoon a huge raincloud drop everything down here... i have read that i got more then 40 millimeter in 10-15 minutes. That gives some little fleedings in the streets, after one hour all the water was gone already.

Today it's sunny 22C/71.6F cloudy with sometimes the sun.

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

Southwest

The dry season is in full force now. And, the hot air of August hovers over the city. I was tired of all the rain anyway. This is the best time of year to take a dip in the river. But, I will have to wait until next weekend for that. The daytime highs are hovering around 36 C / 96 F and over.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I am at home, in the middle of a big old lightening and thunder storm, one with those big old raindrops. It has been so long. I hope it goes for hours, but the radar says I might only get to enjoy it for very short time.

I'll be back, gonna go dance in the yard for a while.

Well, it didn't last long, maybe 30 minutes, but it sure was nice. And we got real light rains for 2 after that too. All together it maybe added up to an inch or so, but is sure was nice. I am hoping for more today.

Sunny, sunny, sunny, and freezing cold blustery prevailing winds. High pressure zones are great, except for the cold nights, and high winds on the outskirts of the high. There is a virtually stationary high to the south of us and it's moving east at walking pace.

Best regards

Tyrone

Same here, big high pressure system right over the top of us. Dead calm and totally clear. Beautiful sunny days around 21C (70F) but frigid clear nights. 3C this morning...brrrr... the second coldest temp I've recorded here. Hopefully it won't repeat last year's record temp! What happened to global warming? :hmm::)

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl, the days are lengthening, nights are shortening up, so the chance of having record winter cold now, this late in winter is starting to get remote. Thank goodness. I can't stand winter.

Talking about minimums, I had a look at Mandurah's mins this winter, where Jason Cox has built his house, and the coldest they've dropped this winter is 5C!!!!!! Max's have been a bit coolish ie 17C, about 1.5C cooler than me, but Mandurah must have a similar climate to the middle of Sydney Harbour. I think I'm in the wrong place. Officially my area has dropped to 1C, although the garden has held 3 or 4C. My Dwarf Malay has grown all winter with a bit of help, so I can't complain really.

Best regards

Tyrone

Summer seems to be a non event again this year. We had a warmer last week of July, but since then we have been back to below average temperatures during the day and plentiful clouds and rain. The outside palms are doing very slightly better than last year, but it's very slow going.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Daryl, the days are lengthening, nights are shortening up, so the chance of having record winter cold now, this late in winter is starting to get remote. Thank goodness. I can't stand winter.

Talking about minimums, I had a look at Mandurah's mins this winter, where Jason Cox has built his house, and the coldest they've dropped this winter is 5C!!!!!! Max's have been a bit coolish ie 17C, about 1.5C cooler than me, but Mandurah must have a similar climate to the middle of Sydney Harbour. I think I'm in the wrong place. Officially my area has dropped to 1C, although the garden has held 3 or 4C. My Dwarf Malay has grown all winter with a bit of help, so I can't complain really.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

As long as you don't loose anything... it can't be that bad. I might loose one of my palms, not to cold... it is due to my watering system clogged up with ant heads :angry: . Normal occurence here... meat ants got into the lines and got stuck in the sprinklers. The centre pulled out, so I put some fungicide and pray!!

BTW, Michael had too much fun here!!! He is off to Bunnings getting containers to take his palms home :rolleyes:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Some snow fell in Canberra suburbs. I don't know if it had any effect on the football there.

Canberra 74 Penrith 12 :hmm:

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Corey, August didn't improve on July then? When I was in the UK back in July, we had one day at Kew Gardens when it was around 29C, but we drove back to Devon and it was 21C wet, rainy and gloomy. :(

Ari, what did you lose? I'm sorry to hear about it. It's easy to think that nothing can go wrong with palms in Darwin. Michael acquired a few palms did he? :)

Phillip, I'm glad I don't live in Canberra. BBBBRRRRRRRRR

Best regards

Tyrone

Ari, what did you lose? I'm sorry to hear about it. It's easy to think that nothing can go wrong with palms in Darwin. Michael acquired a few palms did he? :)

Tyrone,

You don't want to know what I lost. In my case, it is not the cold that kills palms... it is the dry wind at the moment. Learn that the hard way :angry: .

Michael was busy for sure. I am sure he will let you know what he bought :lol: . Hopefully they will all survive the bare rooting treatment, the trip and the COLD!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Well, the two feet plus rains of June and July are history! Since Aug 1st I've recorded .34" total despite almost daily thunder and lightning. It all keeps missing me every which way possible (sound familiar Keith?)...Was in Tampa yesterday for Bromeliads, and it poured on the way, poured there, poured coming home until...I entered my city where the sun was out, the breeze blowing and the ground dry. This morning a cold front came through and it hit 70F with a dewpoint of 69F. Almost unheard of here in August. Most of the plams have grown lush this summer except a new P. sylvester which is still sitting! It is driving me crazy because it is to be a centerbed palm. The spears kinda came out this spring, it is a thick 3' trunk planted last Oct......argh.....Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Our low temp yesterday morning was the coldest August temp ever recorded on the Gold Coast. It was 3C at home, and 4.2C at the official location. At least this morning it was a balmy 4C! I hate these late cold blasts.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Brisbane and Perth forecasts look identical this week. This is the driest August I've ever seen. Lots of blue sky and sun. I wish the wind wasn't so cold though, although it's backed off today.

Best regards

Tyrone

Well, once again, they got the sizzle, we got the drizzle.

I watched these beautiful dark puple clouds build, and then they started dropping this incredible rain (4 miles up the road) and it was sizzling. We got this little diny drizzle that kept the leaf diseases nice and healthy, but did little else.

The rain went on summer vacation.

The rain went on summer vacation.

Ray, It did not go far for vacation. I have received rain 6 days out of the first 10 days of Aug. (2 of those days just .02") Total for Aug so far is 1.82in/46.2mm. My soil is not sandy and is still very wet from summer rains.I have recieved over 40in of rain so far for the year on the north side of the bay.

Edited by Tampa Scott

My got where is summer? Yesterday afternoon was really nice sunny but not really warm 22C/71.6F. The next couple day's it will be sunny sometimes, getting my rain and tempetures not really warm 20-22C/68-71.6F.

Tomorrow it will be really windy, there is a change too get some stormy winds from the sea at the coast... and also there is a change too get 20 mm of rain again... This month will be wet in the end.

Robbin

Southwest

I just checked in with the neighbor up at Childers and they said it was bitterly cold during the nights getting down to about 5C every night for the past week which is about 6C below normal, Slight frost on some of the lower areas in the district which has caused most of the passionfruit crop to drop while still immature, the tomato crops are also feeling it.

BRRRRRR what happened to that faitytale called global warming???????

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.