IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Caledonian name changes

Matt in SD

Mat, Those habitat pics are stunning! You are a lucky man to live in such a beautifull place. Thanks for posting and looking forward to more :drool: !

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Oh Lordy! I'm in love all over again! :yay:

Thanks Mat!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Mat,

Great pictures! :) What's the location?

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Wow. Great stuff!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Man, I can't imagine living in a place like that. Those habitat pictures are incredible and I hope you have many more. Do you have habitat photos of Kentiopsis Piersoniorum?

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Dangggggg!!! Awesome Mat thanks! I think I just broke Dave's sofa.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Hi Mat and congrats on the pics of the local species in habitat. Having acquired 21 of the confirmed 37 species in New Caledonia it's refreshing having somebody who actually lives in the locality of one's favourite palm groups to share their experiences with growing these hard to grow and little known palm sps. Again welcome to the forum and we hope to see many more photos of these beautiful palms of New Caledonia in future threads.....Cheers Mike Green (Newcal )

Hi again,

I was in Noumea in late 2000, with the biennial. I went there 3 weeks before to browse the island and get seeds for the Palmetum in Tenerife.

I remember a group of Chambeyronia in the upper part of Place des Cococotiers, and also the group you mentioned at the road-entrance leading to Tontouta airport.

Where is the Cyphophoenix elegans in Noumea? A Pic?

Dypsis sp. fine leaf is commonly planted in NC?

I would really like to see pictures of the "other" chambeyronias. Adult "houailous", the yellow ones in B. I also heard of some with a silvery crownshaft.

Au revoir,

Carlo

A lot of habitat pictures to me look overgrown, so close together you can't isolate individual palms. Yours photos look better than a botanical garden. I especially appreciate you showing each species sequentially so I wasn't lost in trying to guess what I was looking at. I feel fortunate to be able to grow some the New Caledonia varieties here in SoCal.

I'm very much looking forward to more!

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Great photos Mat! Thank you for taking the time to share with us.

Jeff

Jeff Rood

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

Any one have some way of getting a hold of MatNC? all his photos are gone, thanks, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I was all excited to see the Pyriformis. :( no pics for me either

Welcome to PalmTalk Matt and thanks for spicing up the thread and making it the best one I've read in a long time! We needed a little excitement around here! No doubt the folks here are extremely excited to have a New Caledonian on board!

Three cheers for Matt!

Edited by Palmdude