IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dr. John Dransfield visits the Big Island

bgl

Bo, this "canaliculata" Dypsis I might have some info on if you wanted to know more about its origin. Ron Lawyer sold me a plant a few years ago he collected himself in Madagascar. He brought back some seedlings and seed. He sold me a plant he grew from seed. He had no ID on it. Well 1 1/2 years later I bring in a plant from Jeff Searle called Dypsis canaliculata which is like the one you have and that every one else's I have seen called "canaliculata". Looking at the two closely one can see they are the same exact plant. So if one really wanted to know more, they could contact Ron. :)

I plead the fifth. I don,t remember were this palm was collected. The larger plants I have are really starting to look interesting.

Bill,

Did you send seed to Jeff Marcus? If you google "Dypsis sahanofensis" you'll find an entry in Dave's Garden Plantfiles that has a photo of a mature speciment from Jeff's garden, and it looks to me like it's the true species. What I'm dying to know is if the seedlings Jeff is currently selling as Dypsis sahanofensis are from his tree. I've been growing plants from him for a couple years now and they are good growers and are so far consistent with the true species. If Jeff's plant is the true species, AND the seedlings he's selling are from his tree, then this palm is going up in numbers really fast because he clearly has a lot of them and a lot have made their way to SoCal.

Matt

I checked the site...Matt...thanks for the lead! The inflorescence and leaflet arrangement look ok for D. sahanofensis in Dave's Garden. Only prob is that it is difficult to tell if the palms are clustering. They do look single stemmed? Any way you can check with him? D. sahanofensis has many stems...up to 12 per per plant according to POM. The ones we have seen have up to 8 stems. I sincerely hope it is the true species...though! Jeff Marcus is on the ball regarding Mad palms...one of the best! Good luck!

Bill.

• Upvote 1

Hi Bill,

I was going to call Jeff this week anyways...I've got a few things to ask him about and hope it's long enough after his new list came out that we won't chew me out for calling to chat (but I will order stuff depending on his answers). I'll post here when I find out . You can see two plants in the photo, but can't tell if they are from one clump or are two separate plants. If the seeds of the plants he's been selling are from his plant, then I think it's nearly certainly the true species as they are suckering at a 1g size. We may be close to a mystery solved on this one (not sure if it has reached mystery status yet though).

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Just talked with Jeff. He pointed out that I made a mistake in post #8. There are two photos in that post and this is what I wrote:

"Here are two Dypsis at Floribunda. Both were referred to as Dypsis sp. mealybug, and then assumed to be Dypsis mananjarensis. John ruled out this as a possibility, and also felt that the two palms may, in fact, be two different species. The one on the left is a definite unknown. The one on the right is possibly Dypsis malcomberi."

Apparently I managed to confuse the two. It's the one in the photo on the LEFT that is possibly Dypsis malcomberi!

(I believe someone else may have mentioned this in one of the posts above, but I don't feel like going thru 200 posts....)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I talked to Jeff too. He didn't have much time, but did confirm that his "Dypsis sahanofensis" plants are from his tree. So we know what our plants will grow up to look like. BUT, Dr. Dransfield identified these palms as Dypsis hiarakae. I didn't get a confidence measure from Jeff, but I would guess that this is a solid ID since Jeff's plants are mature and probably had at least an old inflorescence if not actual flowers to look at. D hiarakae from the POM description and photos, looks pretty similar to sahanofensis but is smaller.

One point Jeff stressed was that the prime growing conditions on the big island make many of the madagascar palms look like they're "on steroids" compared to the same plants in habitat. Sounds like JDs visit was a long and challenging day.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

Matt,

I also have a couple of tall (15-18 ft or so) palms that I bought from Jeff as D. sahanofensis and JD identified them as D. hiarakae. If I recall he was fairly definite on that ID. I'm finishing up work on my monthly aviation newsletter today and tomorrow, so won't have time for photos for another couple of days, but I'm fairly certain these are single trunked palms. I also believe I have a number of 1G seedlings in the shadehouse (from my own palms). Will have to check them out.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

The hiarakae is definitely a clumper. Both according to POM and also the fact that the seedlings from Jeff's plant are already sending out suckers at a 1g pot size.

Would love to see some photos of yours with something for scale. I can't really tell how big Jeff's is.

Matt

San Diego

Hmmm....just realized that I misread the POM description. Dypsis hiarakae is listed as solitary. But the palms seedlings from Jeff's palm are clearly suckering at an early stage. Can't this ever just be straightforward? I would imagine that suckering vs. solitary would not change JD's identification. Some baronii are solitary, some are suckering, some Laccospadix are suckering, some are solitary etc...

Matt

San Diego

Hmmm....just realized that I misread the POM description. Dypsis hiarakae is listed as solitary. But the palms seedlings from Jeff's palm are clearly suckering at an early stage. Can't this ever just be straightforward? I would imagine that suckering vs. solitary would not change JD's identification. Some baronii are solitary, some are suckering, some Laccospadix are suckering, some are solitary etc...

Matt

Matt and Bo...not sure that we can sure about any of this! D.hiarake comes from a completely diff erent zone in Mad...in the far NE as opposed to D. sahanofensis which...in the Lit, comes from the SE and reasonably high up at 400m on Mt. Vatovavy. D. hiarake is single stemmed...D. sahanofensis is clustering and markedly so. Somewhere I hear a bell ringing... think JD told me via email that D. sahanofensis had been found further north on the E coast...near Soanierano-Ivongo...but it was a year or so ago and I remember being sceptical at the time trying to work out which 'hilly' area.

Another thing about the published photos on Scott's website is that the leaflets are too broad and the stems also and they appear solitary. Apart from that there is not much difference. If Jeff's plants are clustering and Scott's derived plants are not...then something is wrong. Very wrong. If Jeff's seedlings direct from him are also clustering...then you may be lucky...but I doubt it.

Still think that D. sahanofensis is a very rare palm. Will also annoy Jeff by contacting him...but he knows his Mad palms!

Cheers! Bill.

• Upvote 1

Bill, I ordered 2 Sahanofensis from Floribunda this spring and so far one is clustering at not quite a foot tall. These are beautifull palms!

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Thanks Bill, I'll try to get some pics up in the next day or so.

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Steve! Good luck!...Any chance of a photo or two of your young plants?

Cheers! Bill.

Bill, Sorry I did not get back to you sooner but I have been busy potting up seedlings :) . Here is a pic of one of my palms I got from Jeff Marcus as Dypsis Sahanofensis. Here is a pic of the overall palm.

post-351-1218165605_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

And here is a close up showing the new stem at the base.

post-351-1218165728_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Finally got around to this one...bought a few palms from Floribunda in 1998 under the Dypsis sahanofensis name. They were in 1G pots. Here are two of them (dead center in the first photo). Single trunked, tall and slender. These two have about 12 ft of trunk and overall height is right around 18-19 ft. John Dransfield identified them as Dypsis hiarakae, and the photo and description on page 286 in POM certainly seems to confirm this.

post-22-1218252586_thumb.jpg

post-22-1218252607_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks Steve and Bo! Seems we must find out which parent plants the clustering 'D. sahanofensis' seedlings came from...your little palms for example..Steve!

My own seedlings are only 18 months old and it may be a year before they become distinctive.

Very interesting subject.

Cheers! Bill.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Dr. John Dransfield, co-editor of PALMS, the IPS Journal, has been on the Big Island since last week, and for the last few days John and his delightful wife, Soejatmi, have been our guests. Yesterday I set a personal record, when John and I went for an eight hour garden tour here. And wishing we had had more time! John kindly offered his opinion on a multitude of palms, and I was taking notes as fast as I could! I'm going to post a number of John's comments, as well as photos taken by me (in our garden and at Floribunda Palms earlier today). Not quite sure how many photos that are good enough to be posted, but I intend to post them all tonight, but not necessarily within the next half hour or so. I'll make it known when I'm posting the last one.

First - here's John in front of a group of Dransfieldii micrantha at Floribunda Palms this morning. Seemed like an appropriate beginning to this thread!

Hello :drool:

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

• 10 months later...

I see Gary Levine should go back and ADD his photos missing on page 5... :angry:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 6 months later...

I was looking for this thread and thought I would ask if anyone knows any of the "updated" names yet?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

And, the last photo: John and Soejatmi by our driveway.

WOW Bo looks like it was a great tour ,i love this drivway pic in particular .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

• 2 years later...

Still no pictures or new/updated names. I enjoy going back to view this thread every once in a while so I just thought I'd bump it once more for the enjoyment of others.

Grant
Long Beach, CA

• 5 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2008‎ ‎10‎:‎37‎:‎19‎, BS Man about Palms said:

When you guys sort all this out let me know, I'll be out weeding.

:bemused:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Holy moly, it'll take me a week to go through all this! :o Moose, you're a real troublemaker! :mrlooney:

• Upvote 2

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2008‎ ‎10‎:‎37‎:‎19‎, BS Man about Palms said:

When you guys sort all this out let me know, I'll be out weeding.

6 hours ago, bgl said:

Holy moly, it'll take me a week to go through all this! :o Moose, you're a real troublemaker! :mrlooney:

I think Bill may still be out weeding :bummed:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

What? I was out weeding, what happened?

18 hours ago, bgl said:

Lol

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 7/23/2008, 6:10:48, bgl said:

Nothing new, but still a great looking palm: John Dransfield and Jeff Marcus are leaving this Lemurophoenix halleuxii for the next exciting palm. The Lemurophoenix just opened up a new frond. Very impressive!

post-22-1216872639_thumb.jpg

today, a leaf fell from this palm... i had to cut it into three pieces just to be able to clear it away. absolutely astounded at the growth of this palm in a decade

• Upvote 2