IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in Alaska

akpalms

I have grown T. Fortunei with great success in Ketchikan, AK which is zone 7. I now live in Anchorage, AK and am still growing palms, but indoors. I currently have about 150 palms(a lot are seedlings) I also grow banana plants. I want to try growing something outside here, I realize the winters are far too harsh for any palm to take without protection. I am interested in trying a few palms, Rhapidophyllum hystrix, T. Fortunei, T. Takil, and Sabal Minor. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried growing palms in zone 4 outside? I am thinking about constructing a small shed-like building to surround the palm to keep the snow and frost off. Any ideas on if this would work or anyways at all to make something work without bringing them inside for the winter? Thanks!

• Upvote 2

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the Forum! I can't answer any of your questions, but I know there are others who hopefully will be able to. I'm fairly certain you're our first member in Alaska. At least the first who one who posted! :)

Aloha!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I would say "go for it" , although I have no idea if you will have success. I would think that in addition to building a small structure for them, you could use some kind of lighting to put around the crown to provide additional warmth when the temps drop lower than....what, I am not sure. I don't think there are many of us that are that familiar with the winters where you live.

I can tell you that 18 yrs ago or so I stuck a very small (gallon size) T. fortunei and S. minor out in the ground and never protected either one. While they were small, they went through winters with lows at least 8 degrees and I think lower than that, 20" of snow. 14" of snow, lots of ice storms that stayed frozen for at least 4 days if not longer etc. They are both looking great. I did have two T. fortuneis next to each other and one died and the other has a trunk on it of about 5' (if I had fertilized it over the years, it would be taller). However, the winters here have to be less harsh and shorter than what you are facing.

I think the palms you have chosen are all good choices. Try to get the most size you can when you plant, and try to plant the closest to spring that you can so as to give them the most time possible to get somewhat established before winter. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I also have a bunch of tropical palms that I overwinter inside and in a grhouse. How do you overwinter yours, and how do they do? Any favorites, or ones that do esp well (or not) ?

My first thought is that R. hystrix and S. minor will require more summertime heat than Anchorage can supply, though I have NO idea how hot it gets in Anchorage in the summer. :) Maybe Trachycarpus nanus would be a good choice - it would be easier to protect in the winter, since it is non-trunking or only develops a short trunk. Not sure if its cold-hardiness rivals that of T. fortunei or T. takil.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

Wow. Go for it!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Welcome to Palmtalk. I applaud anyone who takes on a challenge. You might be interested in a few cold-hardy palm websites:

European Palm Society

hardiestpalms.com

www.scanpalm.no, a site, in English, about growing palms in Scandivania. I've even seen photos of palms growing in Bulgaria

You may find info on what palms to try. Unfortunately, palms that tolerate cold die miserable deaths in SW FL.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Dear Dan Potts :)

Welcome to our discussion board...& palm family !

i live in hot wet tropics,so cannot suggest palms for your zone...

lots of love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks everyone for the info and support! Hopefully I will be able to get something to work...if anyone has any further ideas or other cold hardy palms they think may have a fighting chance, please let me know. Thanks again!

Any pictures of your T. Fortunei growing in Ketchikan, AK ??? Would be interesting to see them... We are doing our first 'cold-climate' cruise this year, cruising Alaska. I was depressed thinking I wasn't going to see palms on vacation but have since been told there are palms in Juneau. Can you confirm that? Thanks Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Welcome! Palms in Alaska...now that is cool (no pun intended)! I would love to see some of the pictures of your greenhouse and the palms you are growing.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Trachycarpus would the easiest type of palm to grow in your climate. Sabal and Rhapidophyllum take longer to recover and most likely need warmer temperatures for any moderate growth.

Trachycarpus "nanital" seems to be a little hardier than regular fortunei. Trachycarpus wagnerianus is another good one to try.

For bananas, Musa basjoo may be able to survive the winter with heavy mulching. I'm not sure if there is enough heat/growing season for it to grow back into a nice plant (or get any significant growth) but you can always store them during the winter.

Edited by Turtile

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants

akpalms!

Welcome to our merry big band!

And getting bigger, and we scream with delight over those who push envelopes . .. .

Alaska?

Palms?

Not!

But I know better, and you obviously do, too.

Post some pics.

Of your palms AND Alaska, the great state of being.

Cruise ships, prospectors, Exxon Valdez and all.

Give it to us.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Welcome,

Check out the Hardy Palm and Subtropical board. That board seems to be more geared towards palm growers in colder climates. There's posters on there from the midwest - Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, the Northeast etc. I think there is some from Ontatio, Canada. Probably places colder than the AK panhandle.

http://members3.boardhost.com/HardyPalm/

I will have to look and see if I can find a picture of the palms I grew in Ketchikan. I moved away from there awhile ago. Funny story about that, rented our house out there and the guy who was renting it for a year go to enjoy the palms I had, there were a total of 6 there. We decided to just sell the house and were a long ways away so had no idea of what was going on and he dug up all the palms and took them to his new residence. A little messed up but hey, I guess he was caring for them while he was there and as long as they were still growing its all good. I am not sure about palms in Juneau, I know there are some in Sitka though. I will try and upload some pictures of what I have so you all can see. Thanks again to everyone for all the info!!!

There are some people growing trachies in Finland, zone 4! They use heated wooden sheds, insulated with polystyrene foam roof insulation for winter protection. If you post a question on the EPS forum, you might get a reply from a member in Finland.

Michael, SW Ireland, cool oceanic climate

16 yr absolute min -3c, 16 yr absolute max +28c

July av. max/min 20/14c, January av. max/min 10/6c

Welcome to our forum. I for one would love to see some pics. of your surrounding areas, maybe of some of your palms you want to plant out. I really know very little of this great and beautiful state of ours. Thanks.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

welcome akpalm. I grow palms in Kansas so I think I might know a little about growing palms in non tropical (cold) climates. I think the thing to do is to build some kind of insulating structure over your palms in winter and heat the structure somehow inside. If you can keep the inside temps above 10F degrees , you should have success with the palms you have mentioned. Plan on keeping the structure up well into spring time to keep the cold rain and cold temps off the palm trees as a cold wet spring can and will do damage. Rot is a bad thing. I am not sure how long your growing season is and thats why it may be wise to keep your plams covered as long as possible to generate some solar heat in your palm structure to re- energize your palms in spring and into summer. Check out the cold hardy palm web site listed in this thread and you'll learn even more.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

Palms can be raised in coastal areas of Norway, Scotland and Ireland, which are as far north as Alaska.

In AK, you have the Japan current to keep you warm . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Palms can be raised in coastal areas of Norway, Scotland and Ireland, which are as far north as Alaska.

In AK, you have the Japan current to keep you warm . . .

Some areas of Norway, Scotland and Ireland is zone 7 or 8 because of GulfStream is soften climate this country. So in this country growing such palms as Trachycarpus, butia...

How to grow palms outside in zone 6a - http://myflora.org.ua/forum

Welcome to the board, Im glad the palm diseases spreads around the globe. Funny you mention you are from AK, and trying to or have grown in zones 4-7. AK-47....coincidence? :winkie:

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I checked out the weather records for Ketchikan, and it actually looks favorable for Trachycarpus. WAAAY milder than the interior Continental US during winter, with much warmer winter lows. The Hi's aren't that high, but the lows aren't that cold at all. The average Jan Low is 29F which is almost the same as Atlanta GA, and the record low is -1F, which is warmer than most of the SE US cities outside of FL and immediate coast. They get no real heat though. But hey, they are growing them in Vancouver, what's a couple hundred miles north, it's basically the same climate.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatolo...onthly/USAK0125

Welcome to the board. I live in a cold zone too, zone 6 and can only grow Rhapidophyllum hystrix and Sabal minor with no protection. Most springs they both look pretty bad but the bounce back with the heat during the Summer. For me the two most important factors to growing palms outdoors with no protection besides location, is protection from the wind and too much moisture. In a zone 4, even with the shed you'd need to build around the palms, you'll need to make sure the ground doesn't freeze around the roots because that will kill them too.

On a few other boards I have frequented in the past there are people in zones 4, 5 and 6 attempting to grow needles, sabals, trachys and even washys with elaborate protection methods. There's a guy out in Missouri who has washys pushing 25' tall and he builds a scaffolding skeleton around them each fall. I think he has to heat them too.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

AK

Don't let anyone tell you there isn't enough warmth in Ketchikan for palms

(in the summer, that is)! I spent a few weeks up there last August and I was

half naked half the time with seawater water splashed all over me while fishing.

And, I am less hardy than many palms. My only advice would be that you are

careful with your exposure to be sure that they don't spend much, if any, time

in the shade during your loooong summer days, and your protect them

appropriately in the fall/winter.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Wow from all this info it is beginning to sound somewhat promising that there may be a chance for success with this. I am going to look into palms in Finland and try to get an idea of what they are doing so i can gain more knowledge. Its always fun to push the envelope and try things others haven't how crazy would that be to be driving in Anchorage and seeing palm trees, maybe one day...

Dan,

I'm a retired airline pilot and I used to fly to Anchorage often, but usually in the summer when the sun hardly set. Anchorage was beautiful in the summer with all the wild flowers blooming and the hanging baskets of flowers along some of the streets. Once I screwd up and had a trip in December. It was VERY cold and the first time I had seen salt water frozen solid and there was broken ice all over the bay. It looked rather scary. We went on to Fairbanks and it was 46 below zero there, and even the natives were complaining about the cold. I had heard with temps. like that you could throw a cup of coffee in the air and it would vaporize before it hit the ground. It tried it, and sure enough there was a big puff of steam and nothing touched the ground. In 15 seconds my trousers had frozen stiff. I made a hasty retreat back into the airplane. Later that month I flew back to Anchorage and the temp. was above freezing (day time) and the streets were slushey and a mess.

I think the only palms that might possibly survive and grow there would be Tracheycarpus, probably T. fortunei and T. wagnerianus, and that would be with winter protection. Rhapidophyllum and S. minor require summer heat to grow.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

You might try Target, they sometimes carry Rhapis plasticus and Chamaedorea syntheticus.

Either of these will do well in your area, but you might need to protect them from sunlight or the color will fade.

Edited by Will

WOW!

Zone 4.

What a challenge.

Welcome.

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Guest Keith in Zone 9

I too think the Trachycarpus are the best bet. Those southern species (Sabals, Rhapidiophyllum) really want hot summers. I suppose you could leave a transparent enclosure around them creating their own greenhouse environment. As someone else mentioned...keep the ground from freezing or they'll fail. I don't think they'll take weeks of temps in the teens either. They need to come above freezing in the day. Your long nights and persistent cold might be as bit a challenge as the absolute minimums.