IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hello Dolly

steve 9atx

Tad et al in the Valley

What are your preparations for Wednesday re: post-193-1216604660_thumb.png ?

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Hi Steve,

Cozumel and Cancun must be horrible places to live. They get hit every year by something.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

8:00 AM PDT, Monday morning. Huricane warnings have just been issued by the NWS for all of South Texas. The tropical storm is expected to intensify over the next several hours and become a hurricane. Right now it's headed for Brownsville. It doesn't look good. Batten down the hatches, Tad.

Dick

Richard Douglas

screw em, le them fly, the wife and kids are off to phoenix this evening, not an evac just summer vacation at the nana and paw paws place, I have been delivering palms all day and the crews got it all under control, we might get some rain but I just dont think that this is gonna be much of anything.

still thanks for all the support!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Tad,

Not to downplay a hurricane but a Cat 1 should be "manageable". I think you'll be fine. God Bless.

Ray

Tad, best of luck....keep us posted if you can.

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

day one of storm, its about 85 degrees F, wind outta the north very pleasant, sunny, spotty clouds, spraying roundup as fast as we can so if it does rain weeds dont get toooo outta hand, digging 20 washies and 4 cidps for customer from La Vernia Tx, this afternoon I plan on taking the tractor and cutting deep ditches across the backside of the farm to ensure un impeded drainage should we get alot of rain!!

also waiting on dhl/fed ex for olive cuttings and maybe some ti cuttings.....

Tad

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

were still loading trees, I am well stocked, and prepared, the locals are in a frenzy at the gas stations and water mills, grocery stores etc.

I am glad that since I live on the farm here we keep a pretty good setup as far as prepared for anything anytime, I think besides another tractor my next big ticket items will be a 40 foot sea can and a large diesel generator.

Abraham Lincoln

good luck,tad! sounds like you are ready for anything that comes yer way.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I can picture Tad up on his tractor like Lt. Dan in Forest Gump during that storm on the shrimp boat.

"Is that all you got?!!!!!!!! :angry::rage: "

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

i was thinking more like the "wizard of oz",the whole farm getting lifted up & dumped in some strange,far away land,

somewhere like,oh i dunno,west hollywood.

still "warning-free."

hmmmm, westh hollwood , thounds fab, dry as a bone here, winds picked up and we are tying up loose ends stacks of pots etc, the last thing we tie down will be some of the shade cloth, the rest if it goes it goes thats what insurance and crop insurance is for, right now we are not holding that much material in containers.

plus were pretty far inland, 40 t0 50 miles from the coast, I am still not that worried, I didnt even go get my 5 free sand bags from the city, ...what the hell good is 5 sandbags anyway????

Abraham Lincoln

did a.lincoln really say "hustle?"

did that word even exist back then??? :blink::hmm::lol:

still "warning-free."

DAMN SKIPPY THAT IS A QOUTE FOM ABE who's son and I had the same name! TAD!!

still dry wind is steadily picking up but nothing out of the ordinary yet.

Abraham Lincoln

Tad,

My prayers are with you.

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

thanks senor, the wind has died down, still no rain, I am a hunkering !!!

Abraham Lincoln

Tad

I second M Thibodeaux. God bless you and your family and your mom

and dad around the corner and down the street. I wish you could just get

the precip without all the wind and tornado BS. I hope it just turns into a

rainmaker for y'all. Remember how we were talking about McAllen being

in a drought for 10 years........? I've been keeping an eye on the Bahia

Grande project at Port Isabel which will affect my fishing trips down there

for years to come. I hope it gets a good sweet water flushing out of this

one as its saline is still 1.5x seawater.

Off topic, but I've been in NM for the last few days. Lord, I have never

seen West Texas/Southern New Mexico so beautiful this time of year.

They've had a pretty good summer monsoon this year. The guys

building my Cath Lab in El Paso (which has a quite a few Washy's as you

know) told me that they've had some rain 14 out of 21 days. Dang, for

El Paso in late July?

In any case, keep us posted and call me if you need anything.

Steve

p.s. Poho, please. Read a legitimate bio of Lincoln. "Hustle" was one of

his favorite words, he used it all the time, you know, like a football coach.

Edited by steve 9atx

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Aint no hurrycane gonna keep Tad down. No way, no how ez.gif

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

HUNKERING , winds kinda calm, no rain yet. having huge sale specials wednesday afternoon, be sure to stop by!!

Abraham Lincoln

my knees are starting to hurt and nothings happening yet do I still have to hunker in the bunker?

Abraham Lincoln

Liberate yourself my man. Now that everyone else is hunkered down and no one is around, run naked through the farm. Oh, yes they call him the streak. Just watch out for Mildred.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

yeah..... NO, that would just be embarassing. plus lots a this stuff has thorns..ouch!!!

Abraham Lincoln

One of the news outlets did an interview with a lady on South Padre that will ride out the storm. Wind shouldn't be a problem but surge may be.

7:20, lots a wind a little sprtz of rain, so far so good.

Abraham Lincoln

The eye of the cat 2 hurricane does not seem to being moving very much. I live in Edinburg so were waitng this morning for the storm. Not much rain yet.

The winds are picking up.

my knees are starting to hurt and nothings happening yet do I still have to hunker in the bunker?

Tad,

Your knees aren't hurting from hunkering down.. It's from the barometric pressure dropping! :lol:

Hang in there,it will be over soon,hopefully!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

still got lectricty, winds picked up, and rain has too, still nothing serious I had to go and mist cuttings in prop house.

Abraham Lincoln

hmmmm, westh hollwood , thounds fab, dry as a bone here, winds picked up and we are tying up loose ends stacks of pots etc, the last thing we tie down will be some of the shade cloth, the rest if it goes it goes thats what insurance and crop insurance is for, right now we are not holding that much material in containers.

plus were pretty far inland, 40 t0 50 miles from the coast, I am still not that worried, I didnt even go get my 5 free sand bags from the city, ...what the hell good is 5 sandbags anyway????

TAD MCALLEN HAD UNLIMITED...u take shovel and they provide bags....we got about 50 lol not for us buit for this old lady that was all paranoid that her house was gonna flood....lol i wanted to jack her plumeria and say that it blew over...i didnt cause i didnt want bad karma :P

still got lectricty, winds picked up, and rain has too, still nothing serious I had to go and mist cuttings in prop house.

Tad,

Looks like things might be getting interesting.

I am hoping to get some rains from the outer bands. One is spinning just about 40 miles away and expanding slightly, so maybe.

Keith

just had a muffalatta sandwich for lunch, gonna take a nap all is still well, we have had a little over a inch and half of rain so far!

Abraham Lincoln

just had a muffalatta sandwich for lunch, gonna take a nap all is still well, we have had a little over a inch and half of rain so far!

Looks like Dolly is a slow mover and that means lots of rain.

I hope you all make it through ok. My prayers are with you.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

hell yeah theres alot of rain....there was a 17 year old that fell of a balcony....poor dude hes alive just broke his hip and leg i think.... and just right now 7.56 pm central time just heard some fire trucks roll by....people going out and crashing i guess....oh well tad is probably having some snack and drinking up some topo chicos looking outside or under his palapa thinking to himself.....woooo dont have to water there babies for another few months :P hahaha ok well hope your good over there in weslaco tad and ill be over here drinking some joya....manzana flavored :D wooooo

Haven't heard from Tad in a few hours now. Just read that over 125,000 are without power down there. Maybe he is one of them.

We'll leave a light on for you buddy.

Keith

Hopefully you guys got some sleep, beneficial rain and no discernable damage.

Tad,

I think all of us in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana are praying for you and yours. We've been through this too many times since 2004.

Stay safe.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

REO Speedwagon has a song titled "Riding the Storm Out". Crank it up. (of course the song had nothing to do with hurricances, it was about making it through a Rocky Mountain winter). It seemed appropriate here since its all about riding out the storm at this point.

Good luck to all in the path.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).