IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Strangest creature you've cooked and eaten (not a vegetarian post)

SubTropicRay

Ken's post made me think about the strangest animal I've consumed. That would be squirrel (not very exotic or exciting). I'm sure some of you have great stories. What is the most unusual animal you've eaten?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray,

It is not too unusual around here for people to eat monkies. But, monkey was about the most different animal I have eaten. I had a BBQ'd arm which was quite tasty. It still had the little hand on the end of the arm which sort of added to the event. And, I ate it in a clearing in the forest in eastern Bolivia with some forest indians which were harvesting the rice they had planted. I was 2 days walk from the nearest town through the jungle at the time. That was a long time ago, but I still remember it pretty well. I was a lot younger and adventuresome back then.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

snails

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

That I cooked myself -- rabbit. That I have consumed -- wild boar, maybe not so unusual really. Snails don't seem that unusual to me. I think I would have a hard time eating a monkey unless I was starving to death. Especially with the hand still on, ew! (I'm laughing, Don.) And how was that bear, Ken, greasy and gamey, or tastey? Squirrel sounds kind of like a desperation dinner, Ray. (I'm laughing again, this is a funny thread.) Makes me think of the movie 'O Brother Where Art Thou' when Delmar offers his makeshift barbecue skewer to Everett, "Gopher?"

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Well, it would be hard to say what is the strangest animal I've ever eaten. I've had squirrel, frog legs, quail, every part of a hog and cow, alligator, iguana, rattlesnake, wild hog, bear, elk, caribou, and most things from the ocean. Mullet, smoked, brined, fresh, along with the gizzard and roe - yum!

Maybe the strangest would be jellyfish. I had that a couple of times - the first with no probelms, the second one I had to go to the hospital for a shot of epinephrin. I had a severe allergic reaction to it. It was so bad, they didn't even ask me my name when I got to the ER. They just took me back and gave me the shot. Must have been pretty bad. Needless to say, I haven't eaten jelly fish again!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

I've eaten alligator -- tasty, like slightly tough veal; javelina, the wild pig of the southwest -- like ultra-dense beef, almost no fat; bunny rabbit, domestic, also like veal, but more tender than alligator.

Anyone eat crow? :)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nilgai, indian/paki antelope ferral animal round these parts , rattlesnake,

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Kim, snails don't seem unusual to me too, but it's the most unusual thing i've eaten, if you can call it like that.

So to admit, i didn't eat nothing more unusual than snails.

(i couldn't eat monkey to...man, that's like human brother. To me that's like chinese eating dogs. come on)

hahaha. and that's a chinese dog if i'm wright :lol:

Something different in Laos.

Squirrel.

And not just the legs of frogs.

These unhatched chicks were a delicacy

post-710-1216324611_thumb.jpg

post-710-1216324736_thumb.jpg

post-710-1216324805_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

worm taccos in Oaxaco--, Rice and big corn with chickens feet in Samipata bolivia ( I jsut thought it was rice soup) & a canned grasshoppers from Vietnam ( in 72) ,. The first two were by accident, the 3rd by commission I only hurled with the grass hoppers but it was mostly mental.

I also ate a decoration on a oeveres platter at a party but that was inanimate and mistaken identity.

Best regards,

Ed

And you must have this jerky with rice wine.

post-710-1216325021_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

no pivi your about as wrong as that costumed chihuahua is, its a mexican dog thats why the whole dog taco thing comes into play, see if it was a chinese dog it would be like a sharpei in a eggroll! or a pug in a dumpling, or a shih tzu in a soup.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

And you must have this jerky with rice wine.

post-710-1216325021_thumb.jpg

Now we're talking BAT jerky!

I like mine with a smooth merlot ,with just a hint of berries, and oak,myself! :winkie:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Just plain old Ostrich here.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I haven't always been a vegetarian, ya know. In my younger days I have eaten:

Squirrel fricasee with dirty rice (made by one of the old Cajun ladies I used to work with at the hospital in Galveston)

BBQ rattlesnake and armadillo at a kegger once (I think I can blame that on the, um...shrooms we were eating too, I would have done the snake but never the dillo)

But that's about as far out as I've been with game and other unusual animals.

A friend of mine went to China when we were in high school and ate fried bugs and chocolate covered ants

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Bear is not greasy. I had it Pennsylvania style where they cook the snot out of everything, fat aint got a chance. It was very nutty and Gooooooood . Better than squirrel or dear. Hard to come by. This one the rangers had confiscated from a poacher and distributed to hunters with licenses.

For sure Kobe beef tenderloin must be the best meat in the world but when in Indonesia...........eat unhatched chicken???????????? I want to try it. Does UPS ship it to Goulds?

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

ostrich, emu, rhea, meal worms and beetle grubs. live shrimp, live minnows. Oscars (the aquarium fish), nice orangeish flesh and good in a sandwich.

some fruit I have eaten is a little odd by western standards, durian for one. Hard to get used to, but now I am ok with it.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

you better get out the Goji berries, pomegranate juice and blueberries PDQ or you're gonna die

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Just about everything above, except Iguana. Haven't had that one yet, but I will when I have the opportunity. Did anyone mention raw oysters, that takes a little courage for first timers who didn't grow up with them.

When I was younger, I had Boudin Noir (Blood Sausage). I remember being quite fond of it. It is now against the law to sell in Louisiana. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsBc2GWGQN8

Squirrel Jambalaya. The skull was included. I remember opening the skull to eat the brain, which was considered a delicacy.

Also, Chock (Boat-Tailed Grackle) Jambalaya. As a pre-teen I would go out with my .22 and shoot them for my Aunt who loved to make that particular Jambalaya.

Pickled Pigs Feet

I have tried every fish known to man, including some considered non-edible. The only one I just could never find a way to make palatable was Jack Gravelle, and I tried many, many ways.

Oh, Nutria. Not bad.

I'll think of more. There is an old joke "When a Cajun is hungry, no animal in the woods is safe", and there is some truth to that joke.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

rabbit.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, tell me it was some kind of extrordinary rabbit like wild tasmanian rabbitt or rabosaurus rex rabbitt....of all the funky animals in the A and rabbitts as wild as it gets?

Abraham Lincoln

Bear.

With your clothes on?

Seriously, describe the taste . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

While skin diving, we used to crack open sea urchins, then eat the living roe right on the spot. It was Really good!

San Francisco, California

Termites!

Seriously.

Watched these people over in Africa going hawg-wild over roasted termites, my roommate and I just about peed ourselves laughing.

Next day, there's this termite hatch of winged adults to do adultery and I catch a bunch in a jar, and roast 'em in the microwave.

With pepper. Dang! Taste GOOD! Like peanuts with wings, and hot sauce.

There goes my bad rep to worse . . .

Dave, somthing makes me wonder if you shouldnt be fitted with a warning label that reads "ADULT SUPERVISION REQUIRED AT ALL TIMES"

Abraham Lincoln

I've eaten alot of the things you all have mentioned above. Also have eaten "cooter" :lol: otherwise known as soft-shelled turtle. Here are some pics from last friday serving the latest dish to the family........a good time was had by all.

post-97-1216352119_thumb.jpg

post-97-1216352136_thumb.jpg

post-97-1216352152_thumb.jpg

post-97-1216352165_thumb.jpg

post-97-1216352177_thumb.jpg

post-97-1216352192_thumb.jpg

post-97-1216352205_thumb.jpg

post-97-1216352216_thumb.jpg

post-97-1216352230_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I've eaten alot of the things you all have mentioned above. Also have eaten "cooter" :lol: otherwise known as soft-shelled turtle. Here are some pics from last friday serving the latest dish to the family........a good time was had by all.

Deep fried softshell turtle "cooter" is one of my favorite unusal things to eat,way better than gator, or frog legs which are pretty darn good!

I just wish they weren't so damn hard to clean.Getting them out of the shell is pretty easy,but removing all, or even most of the silver is kinda tuff!

Anyone ever eaten barbecued racoon, pretty tasty, closest cousin is I beleive a bear, Ken?

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Never eaten coon.....but I had possum once......terrible tasting! Stunk the whole house up baking it. I hear if you trap them and feed them nothing but vegetables for a couple of weeks, they taste better. Dove and Quail is good. Once ate a robin, not bad.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Possum. I draw the line right there. I know what they eat and their habits. No way.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Possum. I draw the line right there. I know what they eat and their habits. No way.

LIKE HOGS ARE ANY BETTER?

Or chickens?

Seriously!

Or Shrimp!

Or, shrimpers . . .

Seriously, they are better. I have never seen a chicken or a pig crawl out of a fully wrotten, bloated, maggot ridden carcus. I have seen a possum do that.

Buy me a beer one day and I'll tell you even more. Just don't plan on having a meal afterwards.

And other tales I dare not put in writing, haha.

goanna , cooked by an aboriginal mate ,, very good .. had a little bit of turtle also up on Cape Trib'.

Tried bat rat and dog in Indonesia. enak skali

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Manatee is supposed to be good. They eat the relative in India. Cow of the sea.

Had partrige last year. Nice bird.

Dave, the Bear flavor is more like beef only more robust. VERY good.

And Keith, That boat tailed grackle is a crow, no?. Dave wanted to know if anyone ever ate crow. There ya go Dave!

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Rabbit is tasty too.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Living in Guatemala you can only imagine what creatures are eaten! I have eaten Iguana and it is actually very good.Its flakey like fish.I have eaten horse and a strange water mammal(tepescquintle) I dont know what its called in english.Grackles and rice is a common dish here.I refused to eat armadillo- just a mass of fat.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c