IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BS Man plants again!! Dean has to go to 200!

BS Man about Palms

OK- It's hard to believe that I want my palms in the ground as much as many of you do. But I have so many "timeline" projects with my construction, it's hard to decide what to "give-up" to drop a palm in the ground. But, I wanna do it, so heres the results.

First, the subject and its approximate location. It's supposed to be a Dypsis "highland mealybug/lastelianna" and its going behind a Sapida and near a Reclinata cross.

post-27-1216004033_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Next, clearing it for digging the hole.

post-27-1216004197_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to switch these pictures on the last post, so I made another post. This is the dug hole. See, I possess digging tools, contrary to popular belief.

post-27-1216004455_thumb.jpg

The subject, quite excited about its eminent "insertion" :blink:

post-27-1216004661_thumb.jpg

Firmly entrenched in its new resting place.

post-27-1216004795_thumb.jpg

post-27-1216004852_thumb.jpg

Amongst its new neighborhood. See, I do have other palms in the ground!!

Also, I have to say, for " the original soil" this area has I think the best soil since I remember when I dug for the Sapida, I remember a fair amount of sand here, about the only place on the property I know that has it. But, with the sand, the clay, and years of eucalyptus leaves falling on it, I think its made a good mix. Looks as good as most potting soil I see.

Heres hoping to rapid growth! Its been getting over a half a day of coastal sun for close to a year now. Since I usually have my truck parked near there, it will be similar.

post-27-1216005223_thumb.jpg

Nice Bill, I see it is finally growing out of the greenhouse stretch by the looks of the last leaf and the new spear hopefully means it is on it's way. Now a little roundup would finish it off nice.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Ahhhh, now doesn't that feel good? Way to go.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Lovely Bill, what species is it again ? :huh:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks Guys... Wal, see the first post. I don't know of an actual species name, Clayton or Mikey may know. Its supposed to be a D. lasteliana with heavy mealybug type markings on the petiole.

Test- to see old pic of petiole.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?ac...st&id=33603

Bill thanks for calling. I am glad my advice helped. Just remember what I told you and you will not need to call again. "Pointy end down". I know, it did not come with instructions. So I understand the call. It is not like you use a shovel all the time anyway.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Boy, this is going to be tough keeping up with the "New Bill." I'm only on number 71 since our last comparison. :)

Good job, BS. I know the feeling of accomplishment when something is finally where it should be.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Bill thanks for calling. I am glad my advice helped. Just remember what I told you and you will not need to call again. "Pointy end down". I know, it did not come with instructions. So I understand the call. It is not like you use a shovel all the time anyway.

He called you too. I told him green side up if it had a green side, if not it did not matter.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Congratulations Bill! Your soil looks a lot better than what I have here in Clairemont. Are the rocks for rodent control like a gopher barrier?

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Congratulations Bill! Your soil looks a lot better than what I have here in Clairemont. Are the rocks for rodent control like a gopher barrier?

Steve

In areas where I have seen gopher evidence, I have started leaving the rocks in the hole to act as an impedance. Over here I have never seen digging (because the rocks are a little thick) , so I put them around to support the slight "out of ground planting". (about 2")

The "rock" thing is something I stumbled on a couple years ago and didn't realise it's effectiveness at the time (I was to lazy to remove them all). My Bizzie was the test mule. Apparently, bizzies are VERY tasty to gophers and I know quite a few that have been destroyed by the little buggers. When I dug for the bizie, there were ALOT of rocks in the area. I dug down enough to plant it and threw a few of the rocks back in, but there were still alot around it. Well, about 1-2 feet away, it has almost been gopher highway, yet I have never seen evidence of one at the Bizzie. I suspect with so many rocks, they can't find a path and give up. Yet the roots can snake down in between.

Oh yes, like I said, the soil is only good THERE.

Nice Bill , finally Mr Dypsis gets a Dypsis in the ground. One of those Dypsis from Palm Mountian should be next in that same area. That is two palms this summer maybe we should slow it down let Dean catch up.

San Marcos CA

Nice work Bill! That looks great! Palms in ground w/ nice mulch = a lot less watering! You'll get the hang of it. Like Len said, pointy end down. That's the shovel, not the palm.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

No looking back or second-guessing from now on Bill. Damn the torpedoes and full steam ahead!

And I do agree with Gary that a little Roundup® or a coupla goats wouldn't hurt.

Bill, I am pretty sure that your project is so different than most that no rules apply. I have seen what you are doing and have lots of advice but I am sure none of it is any good because I have never seen anything like what you are doing.

I will try anyway to give you some help. First get all the cars running and sell them. Second, demolish the old house and move into the "addition". Third get Jeff and I back out there to point where the laborers shouild dig while you hand us beers. (Oops, can I say beer here?) Fourth, eat more sushi!

• Like 1

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Bill eats sushi?? :huh: Anyway, great to see that you're making progress! Keep it up - try to plant one palm every week! That should be a bit of a challenge for Dean to keep up! :lol:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I figured I should call you as it was still "fresh" in your memory as you told me you were always curious how your gardeners used that metal thing, so you finally asked them how it operates. Thanks for remembering all the "tricks" when you told me!

Ken- gotta move the palms to get the cars out to sell. ha-ha, not likely anyway.

Everyone else- Thanks? :P

Bo- I Luv sushi!.

Here is 1 days growth with "ant inspector", I hope it continues!! (umm well, my Firefox and Netscape are in "weird mode" so I can't post the pic.) :(

OK- "normal mode" returned to my Firefox, so heres 24 hours worth of growth.

post-27-1216086587_thumb.jpg

Oops, ant inspector on this one! Plus, you can sorta see that this palm sometimes has some color "behind" the mealybug white patches. The newest petiole is getting a little "maroon". It usually then goes back to green.

post-27-1216086826_thumb.jpg

Way to go Bill!

I know the feeling.

It was a couple years after I moved in before I did serious planting. I was waiting for "the Right Time" and Gary Levine said "the right time is now, and if you have to, move it." Or words to such effect.

So, I followed his advice and haven't looked back.

BS we have so much in common, weeds all over, dead cars in the backyard, I think we're twin brothers who got separated at birth . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

BS we have so much in common, weeds all over, dead cars in the backyard, I think we're twin brothers who got separated at birth . . . .

I've wondered the same thing on occasion. I think our biggest difference is our "taste" in cars.... :lol:

I have no taste in cars.

I just get in and drive.

You, on the other hand, wear yours, like a leather jacket . ..

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

You plant two lousy palms Bill and you get to have what appears to be the thread of the week. Imagine if you plant some more, this thread will overtake that crazy Farm one of whatsisname.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Good stuff billy boy! It's nice to see some progress ^_^

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

5 days growth. For a "funky" Dypsis, I'm happy! Its probably 2-3 inches... :D

post-27-1216422888_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I was looking today, heres just over 2 months after planting!

post-27-1222017609_thumb.jpg

I hope it continues blissfully along! Heres the colored, "buggy" petiole. :)

post-27-1222017783_thumb.jpg

Hey Bill - what happened to all of your "ground cover" in post 31???

Aloha,

Bill

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

Hey Bill - what happened to all of your "ground cover" in post 31???

Aloha,

Bill

The "Miracle of mulch" and some grunt work..... I plan on a "finished mulching" thread soon.

Nice work Bill! That looks great! Palms in ground w/ nice mulch = a lot less watering! You'll get the hang of it. Like Len said, pointy end down. That's the shovel, not the palm.

Remember to try and keep the mulch one inch away from the trunks to thwart funguses from getting to the trunks of the palms per Univ. of Florida's recommendations.

Paul, The Palm Doctor

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

• 7 months later...

Here is an update at about 9 months after planting. Hooray, I see a new spear! Yes it looks a little tattered, but we ARE zone pushing here I think a bit.

(By the way, I AM NOT posting this to re-up the Dean planting count! ) :lol:

post-27-1240690301_thumb.jpg

post-27-1240690392_thumb.jpg

BS Man its looking like it survived the winter, good Job!

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

Ah, BS, you have inspired me, and that's no BS . . . . . . . :)