IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aviation - what keeps me busy....

bgl

If I ever had time and money, I would love to get a pilots license.

My brother has one. When he was in active duty in the Air Force he was stationed at Tinker AFB in OKC, OK. One time I was there him and an AF buddy rented a Piper Cherokee and we flew for a couple hours down to near the Texas border. On the way back they let me sit up front and were showing me how to fly it. I "steered" for about 15 minutes. It was cool as all. And weird, almost like driving a car but in "3-D" since besides keeping it straight from side to side you had to keep it level up and down. It was really fun. The weather was clear and smooth. There was a little airstrip that they practiced touch and go landings on and we flew to some little airport, landed, and had lunch.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Mike,

Thanks! And at the prices I'm selling the Clinostigmas I think it'll be a while before I can support myself on that! :) I'm curious about your Dad. You say he was not a career pilot, but rated on the DC-6B. That would seem to be quite an accomplishment. You don't exactly get to the point of flying large airliners on weekends just for the fun of it! Did he fly for an airline for a brief period, or?

And Eric,

Yes - that was another Kalitta Air Boeing 747 crashing after take off from Bogota a few days ago. After the accident at Brussels in late May (see photo in post #35), count on the FAA breathing down their neck to check their procedures and maintenance records...

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Yes, Bo, my dad flew commercially in the 50s but gave it up before I was even born. To be honest, I don't know which airline he worked for, but I do remember him introducing me to one of his former captains who, in the late 1960s, was flying 707s for American. One of the only reasons I know a bit about his foray into the commercial flying world is that I got to see some of the paperwork for his various licenses and ratings. But by the time I was growing up, he only flew private aircraft and then only occasionally. I'm pretty sure it was the expense of the hobby that kept him from flying more.

Still, he's the one that took me on my first flights as a kid. I even got to tag along when he would go up with an inspector to renew his instrument rating. Those early flights instilled a love of flying in me, something I've maintained to this day even in overcrowded commercial jetliners.

Mike

Mike Lock, North coast of Maui, 330 ft/100 m elevaton, 80 in/2000 mm average rainfall