IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bertha

www.dadluvsu.com

Anyone keeping an eye on Tropical Storm Bertha? :blink: Last report I saw stated moving west at 21mph... Very fast! Not that anyone can really predict these things, but it looks to me that she's already a bit far north to run across FL... They usually have a motion that arcs them northward. Fingers crossed one more time. :rolleyes:

Forecast still has you guys in the outer edge of the cone, but I have to agree, looks more like a Georgia hit to me. I'll say a prayer for you.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Just read the Blog by Jeff Masters on Weather Underground.He states that a possibility exists that it may strengthen and make it to the Lesser Antiles.However,the water temperatures do not look good for development.Historically,it is interesting to note that July storms effect the Carolinas if they don't end up recurving North into Never Never-Land.They are not ever Strong.

What you look for is what is looking

Hi guys,

I'm watching this one closely. It looks as though the Bermuda High is pretty strong at the moment as it has kept Bermuda really really dry this summer. However, the high doesn't appear to be as wide as it can be. Therefore, my guess would be that it would brush the Bahamas or Bermuda and move towards a North Carolina hit before dissipating.

Check out the link from our local weather website. Weather satellite It updates every hour and you can actually see Bertha moving fast. This morning she was just peering into the satellite picture. Now you can see the full size of her. Notice, the clear areas in the mid-Atlantic surrounding Bermuda. That is the area of high pressure that is referred to as the Bermuda High. It is responsible for determining hurricane paths. Whenever hurricanes hit New Orleans or Texas it is due to the Bermuda High being quite wide.See this link for a better description: Bermuda High

As Bubba said, it probably wont be a strong one. Ocean water takes time to heat up so the big boys don't really develop till the end of summer or early fall.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Mike, Looked at that satellite image and MAN you are far out in the middle of the Atlantic!

We will keep an eye on this baby as she develops and pray it doesn't run you over.

The good thing is just that.Bermuda is a very small target with great palms and plants.Combine that with the fact July storms just cannot become too strong because of Ocean temp.and thankfully I think Mike will be fine.When was the last Major Hurricane to strike Bermuda?

Thanks for your concerns guys. Hopefully, it decides to skip us. I just built my shadehouse today which is the real bugger. Hopefully, it stays up and my palms don't get rattled. I'll have to turn them on their sides just to reduce damage.

Bill - Yep...we're out there in never never land. It does have the benefit of making direct flights to Canada or Miami all within 2.5 to 3 hours though! New York, Charleston, and Boston flights are usually less than 2 hours.

Bubba -The last major storm to hit Bermuda was Hurricane Fabian in 2003. It was a category 3 hurricane with sustained winds of 120 mph and gusts up to 130 mph. The eye passed about 14 miles west of Bermuda. It killed 4 people who were outside during the storm. They were swept off a bridge and drowned in their cars. Definitely the worst storm since 1926 where we got hit by a Cat 4. We get direct hits every six or seven years and one coming within 180 miles of us each year on average.

Here is a link with photos of Fabian. Includes many Palm photos...You can see a few Coconuts which snapped in two do to the sheer force. You will also see many other trees on the ground including a huge banana patch.

Fabian

Here is a whole history of named storms that hit Bermuda if you want to have a read. Bermuda Climate History

Thankfully, we have not had too many fatalities due to hurricanes as our houses must be built to withstand sustained winds of at least 110mph. All of the fatalities occured when people went venturing out of their homes. The hurricane of 1926 was the only other time where people had died in a hurricane and they were sailors out on a boat. Most of the damage to houses are damaged roofs usually caused by tornadoes associated with hurricanes.

Thanks again guys.

Michael Ferreira

Michael,

I keep hearing Bermuda when they talk about this storm on the news. What is the latest? Having endured enough hurricanes, my prayers are with you.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Mike, It sounds like your gonna get a bit of rain from this baby Bertha this weekend... Is Bertha plastered all over your television news stations yet?

Keith- So far, its looking like a weaker cat 1 storm at the moment. If it does hit it will unlikely cause much damage I hope! There are predictions that it may move east of us but looking at the radar it seems to be heading in more of a NW direction.

I heard about your run in with Katrina. If I can recall your house faired a little better than some of the surrounding areas. Katrina has to be the worst storm of my lifetime (although I remember Hurricane Andrew being quite bad also) and lets pray it doesn't happen again.

Bill- Surprisingly, not much talk about whats going on with Bertha. There is an occasional radio broadcast or newcast. We tend to take a we'll see approach until about a day or two before it hits. I used to be like that also until my palm growing obsession started. Now I have to start thinking about moving my 300+ palms... :rage: and pray that my new shadecloth doesn't get shredded. Arggh.

Thanks again for your concerns. Lets hope this hurricane season is quiet with no landfalls anywhere!

Michael Ferreira

The forecast this morning is for it to brush Bermuda with the west side (the good side, if there is one) later this weekend. Waves are expected to be about 18 feet.

All the weather guys keep saying this is the earliest Cape Verde storm on record. We don't really know how many other July storms there have been. Before satellites, we would never have known about this one until it was near Bermuda. The media loves scare tactics.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Mike, Any news to report regarding the effects of Bertha on Bermuda?

This Bertha is already too seen on the european weather cards... normally when a storm like this getting weaker.. and later a only a depression and it's going not directly going too the main land we can get some good weather from it...

We have got really a summer down here with low tempetures.... maybe this Bertha gives us a boost summertemps...

Robbin

Southwest

Hi all,

Everything is ok here! My shadehouse survived and did REALLY well. Other trees were rattling around and the palms in my shadehouse barely got a wiff of wind. They did get lots of rain though. About 6 inches in 3 days or so, with 4.6 falling on one day. Not much damage around - few royals had their leaves mangled but thats about it!

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Ferreira

The Storm Season is now so much longer with a handful of seedlings in my yard!

Good to hear you all fared well Mike, thanks for the update!