IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bicycles, Bicycles, Bicycles...

www.dadluvsu.com

At one point I had something like 16 bikes in the garage... I have thinned it out to 4.

DSC01194-1.jpg

Who else rides? Is everyone who loves bicycles a spandex warrior roadie? Are there any soul riders in here? How often do ya'll ride and what are you riding? Share Share SHARE! :lol:

This is a 1953 Schwinn Cycletruck I converted to electric. Very useful vehicle for local trips... My homemade tomato box could hold a half a dozen gallon pots, a large pizza or a couple 60lb bags of sand. A 4 hour charge got me about 7 mile range.

cycletruck.jpg

Notice the basket is attached to the frame and the front wheel is 20" making for a much lower center of gravity and sturdy ride...

cycletruck2.jpg

Here's my 200 mpg commuter bicycle.

billbike3.jpg

and a shameless plug for a nother forum I occasionallyl visit... Lots of thinkers and tinkerers on this site.

DSC00040.jpg

This is a 2006 Bianchi Milano melded with an xtracycle to make a sport utility bike... This thing had an attachment so I could tow 2 bicycles at a time. In these photo's it is set up for a second passenger and groceries... Easy to peddle, lots of fun. I think xtracycle even makes a blender attachment so this is like a party on wheels.

DSC00258.jpg

DSC00256.jpg

Sometimes I ride a grown-up's bicycle... This thing is awesome for camping.

DSC01410.jpg

But we all know I am a big kid at heart, this is my custom chopper.

Slickster.jpg

the custom choppers look like fun. Did you make those yourself? Is there anyone you fight with while making the bikes?? Where is mikey and vinnie?

the antique is my favorite though

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Wow, I'm down to just one bike, one of those mountain bikes with springs to make it easier for old goats like me to take the bumps that the road [of life] offers . . . .

All or your rides are COOL!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ohhhh, but I do love bicyles. This is one third of my stable.

post-1207-1214932295.jpg

post-1207-1214932295_thumb.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Have a Litespeed roadbike and an very old Kona mountain bike. I usually ride to work and try to go on extended rides once or twice a week. I'm looking to get a new mountain bike and a fixed gear roadbike for around town. I like my Kona because it has no decals and is very low key (won't get stolen). Bikes have a hard time staying put in Gainesville.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

as i can see you got TOO MUCH money. (whatevery you may think...)

That many bikes... come on :lol:

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

as i can see you got TOO MUCH money. (whatevery you may think...)

That many bikes... come on :lol:

Not sure who you were referring to, but in my case it is the inability to part with the old one. I have every bike I ever bought back 20 years+.

Oh, and I have too many palms too, and their used value is much higher than bikes. As oppposed to bicycels that usually depreciate, palms usually appreciate.

Now, I realize fully that I am guilty of PalmTalk heresy by using the phrase "I have too many palms", but I am hiding under the veil of humor.

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Bill,

Wow what a great topic, especially with all your custom bikes! You look like your really in to it. I had bikes as a kid like anyone else, but I took it in a different direction sort of speak. Because your topic is all about 2 wheel bikes, I will then ask for permission, may I post my other hobby from the past? I rode unicycles. I still have my 6' tall one that I used to ride in parades everywhere. But would love to talk more on your custom bikes the next time we see each other.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff and unicycles? Come on, that can't be true :D

Just kidding :greenthumb:

First picure, what i drive at the moment.

Second picture, is my passion real passion. My Cagiva Raptor 650. (sorry, it's not off topic..it has two wheels :D )

post-1237-1214944249_thumb.jpg

post-1237-1214944364_thumb.jpg

Bikes? Riding you say? Besides palm trees, this is my next most expensive thing.

MTN Bike - Ellsworth "Truth" - $4500 into it. Use to race back when I lived in Jackson Hole WY.

Road Bike - Trek Madone 5.9 - $5000 into it. Things weighs 18 pounds! Climbs like a scared baby black bear up a tree.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

"At one point I had something like 16 bikes in the garage... I have thinned it out to 4. "

HHmmmmm, did any one else count six?

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Jen and I just bought a Lance GSR-150cc scooter this week. We are jammin'!!!!!! boooyeacah!

post-126-1214953309_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

way to go matty! ;)

real thing for summer heats...

istockphoto_3870222_surf_hibiscus_s.jpg

Edited by Pivi

Jen and I just bought a Lance GSR-150cc scooter this week. We are jammin'!!!!!! boooyeacah!

Matty,

So I'm not the only one. I just bought me a scooter (150cc)3 weeks ago, actually on Father's Day weekend. I ride it back and forth to the nusery instead of the F250 4X4 diesel. I really love it! But....I'm not really driving it much anywhere else. I'm not really too big on motorcycles with all the insane drivers we have. I'll try and get a pic. of it up soon.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bill,

Wow what a great topic, especially with all your custom bikes! You look like your really in to it. I had bikes as a kid like anyone else, but I took it in a different direction sort of speak. Because your topic is all about 2 wheel bikes, I will then ask for permission, may I post my other hobby from the past? I rode unicycles. I still have my 6' tall one that I used to ride in parades everywhere. But would love to talk more on your custom bikes the next time we see each other.

Jeff

Jeff,

Why is it when I read this, I didn't even raise an eyebrow. Hmmmmmmm,,,,,

I was gonna post about unicycles but Jeff beat me to it. I saw his and we had a great time talking about it. Jeff was/is far better than I ever was on mine. We may have to get pictures at the next biennial... :o

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It's been 10 years since I said goodbye to my old Harley "Ironhead" Sportster. Ah, the memories. The vibrations!

post-1155-1215007886_thumb.jpg

I was part of a program for the junior Olympics for track racing. We used to race at the Dominguez Hills Velodrome. It was quite an experience. Did a lot of road riding since the 84' Olympics. I have done Centuries to San Diego and taken the train home from Huntington Beach. Got into the mountain bike craze back in the late 80's until 2000. Haven't been on a bike since I became domesticated with a wife and soon later, kids. Just starting to look at bikes again and think I will go back to being a roadie...

Len - Do you ride a lot or is your bike collecting dust? :P

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Joe, this year has been really slow. But every year up to it, I would mountain or road ride 5 - 6 times a week. This year with the arrival of the second kid, my time has been zapped. Plus my good friend that we would motivate each other to exercise, just had a baby. Need I explain more? :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len...hehehe

That's why I asked. I figure it will be another 2 years before I can get back to a regular routine. Will just be a roadie...Mountain biking takes too much effort to drive out to the trails. I just hop on the Santa Ana river trail and be at PCH within 2 miles and start heading either north or south...

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Since the beginning of this topic, and a marvellous thing it is to, I haven't been able to shake off a certain tune these past few days. Well enough. No more, "Bicycle, bicycle!". So here is the classic song by Queen: Bicycle Race.

Since the beginning of this topic, and a marvellous thing it is to, I haven't been able to shake off a certain tune these past few days. Well enough. No more, "Bicycle, bicycle!". So here is the classic song by Queen: Bicycle Race.

Since you brought up that song, and since someone else brought up motorcycles, I have to put up this song.

I never saw that before, but I believe I liked it!

♪♬" I don't want a pickle.... "... I jus' wanna ride on my motorcycle "♪♬ :lol:

Great Topic!

I've done 6 AIDS Rides from San Francisco to Los Angles. I just finished my most recent one last month. 545 miles in seven days! Over 27,000 feet of climbing. I train cyclists 30 weeks out of the year to be able to do the ride, which is why I miss most of our chapter meetings. Grrrrr. We ride all over Southern California-canyons, mountains, the Pacific Coast Highway and the vast urban jungle.

I've had new riders that did not know their brakes from their shifters! I start them at 20 miles in September and our longest ride this year was a 104 miles in May. I had a regular crew of about 60 riders. They are very dedicated, hard working and raise money for a wonderful cause.

One particular day on the ride this year, I was passing a cyclist and called out,"On Your Left" as we are trained to do. I noticed he was cycling with his arms, as he had disabled legs. Gave a me quite a pause.

I have two biles-a Bianchi CafeRacer for around town and a Felt road bike. I ride anywhere from 3000 to 5000 miles per year.

It's a great way to spot palm trees, incidentally. Cars go too fast and it's harder to stop and pull over.

Tailwinds,

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

• 3 weeks later...

I have two - a road bike and a mountain bike. I am training for the MS150 right now. I've done it several times, but not in the last few years. I am riding 30 miles every Saturday and 20 miles every Wednesday and will increase mileage until the 150 mile ride October 4 and 5.

I don't ride my mountain bike much any more because the local trails have gotten more difficult and I don't want to kill myself.

post-158-1217013667_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Cyclists are not always botanists. The photo of the "spiral yellow flower" in this link is some type of drumstick

(Isopogon sp)

Still, it's good that the mountain bikers are at least noticing it (say I, smugly).

http://nobmob.com/image/tid/64

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

• 2 years later...

I'm still waiting to see Jeff on oneathem unercicles... Lets see some youtube footage bro!

In the mean time, I've been totally daydreaming on getting a new pedal machine... I jettisoned all my remaining bicycles when we moved to the rolling toaster... I am bicycleless!!! OH THE SHAME!!! :(

Im total gaga over the Tommi Sea Sand Cruiser... The idea of riding at the shoreline just gets my quads pumping!!!

Look at those fatty rubbers!!! :drool:

TommiSea-Terrain-Destroyer-Yellow.jpg

My downsizing has taken its tool of the 2 wheelers. I am down from 9 to 3. And those 3 are on the sale block too. Last one to sell, will be the one keeper. And sadly, I probably won't ride it either. Just can't imagine not having a bike around.

There are 4 bicycles in my garage (2 are mine)..........at one stage I used to own 5 myself during my over 20 year career as a racing cyclist, during such time I represent Queensland and Australia as an A grade road cyclist.......now I just like to get out for a ride every now and again.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Love the bike collection Bill! I use to be into biking (road and trail) for many years when I was younger. I still have all of the bikes but rarely ride them anymore. Its something I would love to get back into, but its so hard when you way out of shape like I am. Here is my favorite bike. Its and old Tri-bike that was very advanced in its day.:

post-1490-081628100 1309800646_thumb.jpg

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

What a difference three years makes. I went from two bikes to 4. A new full suspension trainer, a carbon 29er racer and a single speed trainer. Not to mention I ride about 16 hours a week now for my race training. I am also 30 pounds lighter!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

As a teenager living right in the middle of Sydney, I couldn't have survived without my beloved Vespa. They are still the only thing one can ride wearing heels.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

WOW!!!!! What an amazing collection. Palms and Bikes, interesting combination. Do you collect, build or have any other hobbies/interest?

It's interesting I'm seeing this topic today. I had a bike in my garage that sat and sat for God knows how long. Well a friend can by just

yesterday, had a bike in their car and put mine in same. Off we went to Pauahi Street a place in town and there we mounted our bikes.

What an experience. I do not remember when last I was on that bike. Maybe only two times. It still looks brand new! To my surprise,

I really enjoyed same. I must do that more often!

We stopped off to get shoes for me. I wear high heels every day and could not do that on the bike. What a memorable experience! :)

Thank you for this post!

KPL

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

Bikes, well for me its just my daily transport from a to b. And I do not have a car, its cheap and easy. But not always comfortable when its cold and wet windy weather wich we get plenty most of the year for free uphere!

Alexander