IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

July 2008 Thread

Exotic Life

The closest PWS, one mile east of me, recorded 15.99" of rain for July. I unofficially recorded 17.12". I just kept records of the average between my three rain gauges (all were within 1/10" of each other at all times). It rained yesterday, day before, day before, where is the sun? In my 20 years here, coolest summer, low electric bill but SOPPY mess of a yard. The forecast for today: more rain, 70% chance. QUESTION: Does yesterday count as one thunderstorm, or does it count as 8...we had about 8 during the day at different times? Since I teach and am off now, I have time to observe, but I cannot get anything done because it is too muddy, too wet, or its raining, again. Now, don't get me wrong, we all love rain, but a little sun in the SUNSHINE STATE would be nice, too! Greg

Im with ya Greg.

July was far too rainy for my tastes as well. I ended July with 12.26", but so many days were also overcast and grey with some "spitting" rain which does not add too much in the totals, but makes the day dreary.

I also had only 480 cooling degree days )base 65F) in the month, which is about 10-12% below long term average. So, I too should have a lower than normal power bill. I also had only 17 of the 31 days of the month crack 90F or greater.

All that said, since I have no grass left and all areas are filled with plants/palms/mulch over pure sand, I have no soppiness in the yard as the water just runs down too quickly. And, than palms/plants have all grown fantastically with all the constant moisture.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

July was far too rainy for my tastes as well. I ended July with 12.26", but so many days were also overcast and grey with some "spitting" rain which does not add too much in the totals, but makes the day dreary.

I also had only 480 cooling degree days )base 65F) in the month, which is about 10-12% below long term average. So, I too should have a lower than normal power bill. I also had only 17 of the 31 days of the month crack 90F or greater.

Larry, I had only 466 cooling degree days (base65f) for July :winkie: I only cracked 90f or greater 14 days. I also have not had to add water to the pool this summer.( pumping it out is another story)

I am glad to see it go, but for the opposite reason, far too dry here. We finished July with 4" less than normal, and year to date we are 12.3' below normal. Sure been hell on the non-established stuff. A quick count if 5 plants lost, and a few more may go into winter too weak to make it, unless we have a really mild one.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I am glad to see it go, but for the opposite reason, far too dry here. We finished July with 4" less than normal, and year to date we are 12.3' below normal. Sure been hell on the non-established stuff. A quick count if 5 plants lost, and a few more may go into winter too weak to make it, unless we have a really mild one.

Looks like you might be getting some rain soon, Keith.

San Antonio sits directly north of land (Mexico) and it makes a big difference rainfall. (28 per yr)

Go 50 miles east of San Antonio and rainfall goes up to about 40 inches per year.

I wouldn't mind your water bills. Even your highest.

It's been a killer hot year. Record drought. Currently it's 100 degrees.

Dallas and Austin have had it much hotter than us.

Linda

San Antonio, TX

29.50N 98 W Elev: 950 ft

Zone 8b/9a (Half my zip code 8, other half 9) Heat Zone 10

Currently, all my palms are hardy to 8b.

լինդա կարամանիան մալդոնադո

(My name: Armenian)

Looks like you might be getting some rain soon, Keith.

San Antonio sits directly north of land (Mexico) and it makes a big difference rainfall. (28 per yr)

Go 50 miles east of San Antonio and rainfall goes up to about 40 inches per year.

I wouldn't mind your water bills. Even your highest.

It's been a killer hot year. Record drought. Currently it's 100 degrees.

Dallas and Austin have had it much hotter than us.

Replying in the August weather thread http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...st&p=226524

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages