IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Costa Rican Collected Seeds

RainForestt Robert

As a member of bus 4 which collected it's fair share of seeds, I am happy to report that my Costa Rican seeds feel right at home in Trinidad and have all been making their valiant efforts to take their rightful places in my rainforest. Areca vestiara, Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus, Geonoma sp., Welfia and others. Cyrtostachys are plump and have been striking. I will be pleased to remember Costa Rica for many years by saying "Oh, I collected those seeds at the IPS biennial in Costa Rica". Pictures will obviously follow as the seedlings grow, and not only for identification assistance...... :D

• Upvote 1

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Robert,

Glad to hear your seeds made it home and are doing well! I just took the plastic lid off one container today because the seeds had germinated last week and the seedlings are now hitting the lid. I believe they are the single stem Areca vestiarias. The seeds were much bigger than the ones I collected from the clumping form. Most of the other seeds I collected from Herrero's are now starting to germinate also. What a treat that was to be able to collect any seeds we wanted from their farms!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Fire up that awesome camera Robert!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 1 month later...

Hyophorbe indicas have been strong growers. I think that I will pot them up to 1 gal soon.

DSC_1007.jpg

Areca vestiara. What are the chances of some of these having red leaves?

DSC_0460.jpg

Geonoma sp.

DSC_0996-1.jpg

Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus.

DSC_0459.jpg

I germinate my seeds in styrofoam trays. Fill them with a peat moss, sharp sand mixture and stick them in the shadehouse. I don't have to do much more in the rainy season.

• Upvote 1

The first photo gives a clearer look at the seed set up. The tray in the foreground has Cyrtostachys renda seedlings. These are Trinidad collected seeds.

DSC_0466.jpg

The seeds from Costa Rica have germinated, and are just now clearing soil level. Not much to look at. The should look like these, my older seedlings in 4 to 6 weeks. All told, I think I may have about 10,000 C. renda seedlings. What am I going to do with them all!!!! I tell my wife that they will help me retire early in 5 years.

DSC_0997-1.jpg

Two months ago this Welfia regia seedling leaf was completely red. It has just now begun to fade.

DSC_1009.jpg

• Upvote 1

Robert,

It looks like your well on your way to becoming the #1 nurseryman in Trinidad. :)

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, definitely for C. renda!

Robert

• Upvote 1

Robert,

That's very impressive! And 10,000 C. renda seedlings....wow!! :) About the A. vestiaria - the seedlings that open up with a maroon/reddish leaf (even if it's the first one) will ALWAYS do that, and the ones that open up with a green new frond will ALWAYS do that, so you can separate them into two groups as soon as you pot them up.

Bo-Göran

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Wow... nice germinating rates over there... 10.000 C. renda, you can start a whole forest with them later :D

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

I'm trying to imagine potting up 10,000 seedlings... Let's see, 10,000 pots, check! Soil for 10,000 pots, check! Presuming you are very efficient, one minute per pot, working 8 hours a day, you'll be done in 3 weeks. I think you need help, Robert!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• 2 weeks later...

Aloha Robert - amazing sprouts - you are the SEED KING!

Dan on “the Big Island” of Hawai’i

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

• 2 weeks later...

The drainage holes are on the sides of the containers. The containers are used to transport grapes from the US to Trinidad and are available mainly from September to December. As a matter of fact I picked up about 6 yesterday. The seeds are just tossed into the germinating trays. If, as in the case of C. renda I have a ton of seeds and the germination rate is good I have to take the sprouts out and space them in another container. More work, but ..............

Robert

• Upvote 1

Scott,

I am using a combination of promix and rice hulls for the seedlings. It is a nice light mix and has good moisture and aeration. I use this on orchids also and they have responded really well.

Robert

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some seedlings, the id of which I am unsure of. The seeds were collected at the Herrero farm and I have them listed as either Nenga pumila or a Pinanga sp.

DSC_0142.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

You are doing excellent Robert. I popped about 25% of my Areca vestiaria, 10% of the Cyrtostachys Renda and the other 17 species dampened off. I am really pissed off since I ruined such nice fresh seed.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 4 weeks later...

I had a handful of seeds from four or five different species, threw them into a single pot grouped by type, and forgot about them. Today I checked and I have at least 12 palms sprouted, but I don't know which is which.

Some of the seeds are shaped like an olive pit, and the new sprout is reddish -- maybe Areca vestiaria?

Some seeds are like a large black peppercorn -- any idea what that would be?

Some are buried, but the leaves make me think of Pinanga coronata, which I know I collected.

Now that night temperatures are sometimes dropping to 40, I wonder if I should bring the pot inside, or leave them under cover where they've been? It's funny, because I've never been very interested in germinating seeds, but I'm kind of excited!

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Here are some seedlings, the id of which I am unsure of. The seeds were collected at the Herrero farm and I have them listed as either Nenga pumila or a Pinanga sp.

DSC_0142.jpg

Robert,

You couldn't of pick two palms that would look closer as a seedling and even as they get much bigger. If your plants remain as a single trunk palm, their most likely not a Nenga, as I;m pretty sure these are clumping palms. And Pinangas can be solitary or clumping. Jeeeeeez, didn't you read the tag underneath the palm before you stole, excuse me, picked the seed with permission ? :)

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, the problem was there were no tags!

Kim, for me nothing else in this hobby is as satisfying as saying "I grew it from seed!"

Robert

• Upvote 1

Jeff, the problem was there were no tags!

Kim, for me nothing else in this hobby is as satisfying as saying "I grew it from seed!"

Robert

Robert, your evident enthusiasm is contagious!

Thanks to Ryan's thorough documentation of the trip, I was able to recognize and identify my seeds, yay!

Kim Cyr

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to see the latest (in photo form) on everyone's Costa Rican acquirements.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

Most of the Costa Rica collected seed are doing well. Here are a couple of updated photos.

Bactris honduranensis - before

DSC_0067.jpg

Now

DSC_0930.jpg

• Upvote 1

Welfia - before

DSC_1009.jpg

Now

DSC_0933.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hyophorbe indica - then

DSC_1007.jpg

Now

DSC_0941.jpg

• Upvote 1

Areca vestiara - then

DSC_0460.jpg

Now

DSC_0915.jpg

• Upvote 1

Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus - then

DSC_0459.jpg

Now

DSC_0914.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cyrtostachys renda - then

DSC_0462.jpg

After

DSC_0156.jpg

Now

DSC_0903.jpg

DSC_0921.jpg

• Upvote 1

Did I say I have a lot of C. renda seedlings?

DSC_0916.jpg

Two of my Pholidostachys pulchra seeds germinated. I'm ecstatic! :D

• Upvote 1

Thanks for showing those Robert, that's a wonderful display of growth.

Anyone else ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Nice, hope ya got a few hundred pots laying around! :D

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Robert,

Wow! I'm glad you don't live in my area. You would pose a serious threat to my business, as a grower. :) Your seedlings really look nice. I'm proud of ya. (no reason not to be) My stuff came up pretty good as well, but I only brought back a fraction of what you did. Way to go......

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 weeks later...

Very great... i like that shot with all the C.renda! You really must show a pic when they al have there own little pot.. if you got enough space for that :)

Robbin

Southwest

• 11 months later...

Robert, how are all the seedlings going another year on ??

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

• 1 month later...

Awesome shots of seedlings, they look really healthy. Yes it would be good to see them a year on.

Regards

Wanderanwills

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

My C. renda seedlings have been undergoing some stress from the water restrictions and our unusually dry season. I have lost about 10% or so. They are still in their community trays for the most part, but I will be undertaking a massive transplant program into one gallon containers next month, just in time for our rainy season. I will take a couple of photos over the weekend to post showing what they look like at the moment.

Robert

• Upvote 1

• 6 years later...

Is Robert still around? I'd like a 6 or 7 year update with photos, please :D:yay: All those seedlings and growth documentation photos...eye candy!!

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: