IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PalmTalk getting slower and slower

tropicalb

Okay...is it just me, or does opening PalmTalk nowadays seem to take at least four times as long to load as it ever did BEFORE it was changed over to php?

I'm thinking it has a LOT to do with the fact that Palmtalk is now hosting WAY more pictures on its server than it ever did before.

All I can say is.....it's REALLY getting slow in here.

Dean.....have you noticed this also? Anyone else?

I have been hesitant to say anything, but I too have noticed some increasing lag time for page loads. This is not graphics related.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Burt,

I did notice a substantial slow down this morning. I didn't take the time to investigate, because I had an outage yesterday and just figured it could be me out in the middle of the ocean. But it was very slow and there was obviously a problem somewhere. If you are referring to this morning, then the problem must have been with the server or DNS or something more global. Things seem to be back on track now, and I hadn't noticed any slow down previously. We get so spoiled thinking everything on the web is supposed to flow seamlessly at all times. I'm amazed that things work as well as they do, and this Forum hasn't been off line for a second since the switch.

However, keep an eye out. Some of the threads packed with larger than ever hosted pics are taking as long as 15-20 seconds to load for me. Four pics per post, 40 posts long, and that's over 100 large pics to download each time (per page) from another site. (That's one of the reasons I keep pushing for uploading pics here, to be displayed as thumbs first.) But other than those pic intensive threads hosted elsewhere, things seem to be as quick as ever.

If the opening page starts to slow for you, please let me know. It sure wouldn't have anything to do with php, as you know it is faster than cgi. And I doubt it makes much of a diff how many pics are hosted here, only how many are called up at any given time.

At any rate, let's hear what others say.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Dean...

I'm talking about in general:

as the site has become larger over the last coupla months, even opening the forum index takes as long as 10 seconds or more as of late.

I'll keep my eye on it also and report to you if i notice it getting even worse....also:

I STILL like .cgi over .php......i'm just old-school that way! B)

I certainly noticed the same thing this morning. As a matter of fact, I decided to log out, and then log in again and see how long time it would take: ONE MINUTE AND 31 SECONDS just to pull up the main page!!! But, a little while later I logged in (as a guest) on a different computer, and I got to the main page in about 15 seconds. Just now, tried the same thing (on a different computer: 5 seconds). So, whatever happened this morning, the situation seems to be more or less back to normal.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo....

it just seems that the site is getting progressively slower is all....this seems to have been happening over the last few weeks for me. I just wondered if I was the only one!

Bo....

it just seems that the site is getting progressively slower is all....this seems to have been happening over the last few weeks for me. I just wondered if I was the only one!

You've got the virus Burt!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Its funny. I check in hourly it seems as I am on a computer 14 hours a day. I personally do not notice this. On some threads where tons of pics are loaded, I see this. But not over all.

Had you guys said that for about two hours today 11 - 1 PM PT that it was slow only then that would be true. The data center handled a DDOS attack on the network where the firewall was actually working so fast it had IO issues. This caused some packet loss across the entire network. However as far as things getting slower over the weeks, I do not see it. If it is I would like to know too so I can check the server load, etc.. Maybe backups are running at the times of this slow down? This would happen.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

this morning @ 8:35:

over 40 secs to load forum index.

each click to get to make this reply over 30 secs each.

Cox Cable, IE6 browser, cache cleared and comp de-fragged last nite.

EDIT: all other sites I check daily: instantaneous loads.

Edited by tropicalb

Dear Sir,

what does this sentence mean...'It sure wouldn't have anything to do with php, as you know it is faster than cgi'.

i wish to know those terms php & cgi ?_Please...

thanks & love,

Kris :)

By the way i did not encounter any of the above said problems...its been smooth sailing in this new server.. :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Dean, you might want to do a reboot. It has not had a reboot since it has been online. This will kill off zombie processes and help clear things up. It has been really slow this morning for me too. You can do the reboot from Plesk.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Yep - definitely still slow! Just did a "Refresh" on the main page, and that took exactly 40 seconds!!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dean,

Definitely a very SLOOOOW day here on the east coast as well. Something's gone "south". If you need any tech. advice, please send me a PM. I'm sure I can figure it out within minutes. Once you give me the say-so. :lol:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for all the info guys.

System rebooted at 9:05 AM Hawaiian time. Please let us know if things are improved.

Still seems to be ultra-slow.

Len,

I'll check some things and give you a call.

9:28 am HST, still just as slow. Just now, 45 seconds to refresh the main page.

It was OK yesterday evening, then I got back on around midnight cst and noted it had gotten slower. Much worse today.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

slow here too..5:43am

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Things are slowing up, I've noticed too. Is Palmtalk on a shared server? It shouldn't be.

Way too slow, I'll come back later..

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks again for all the reports.

There is definitely a problem and the webhost is doing what he can to see what is going on.

We sill need to check things out one at a time, so please be patient. What is confusing is that it was running fine last night (for me) and now the same slow down as yesterday morning.

John,

Not on a shared server. Fully dedicated.

I think we (or should I say Len) has found the problem. As I understand it, we can thank some trouble makers in Hong Kong. Maybe he can tell us more.

Let us know if things are better for you now.

Dean wanted me to post something here. The issue the last two days was firewall related that is running on the server. It was due to the sql injection blocking on the firewall, the rules built up to a huge level from all the attacks towards the website and forum on server. The rules for each attack was just building to high levels over time. The attacks are more like web page code injection, like perl, or java, or php. These go over httpd port. So like a basic php webform page asking for your name and phone number, etc, can be exploited through injection in those inputs. A cron has been set to clear the rules before it builds up to high levels. This sql injection attack has actually been happening on a few servers. So the attackers probably are scanning an entire class C or more.

As stated this was a two day issue. Any prior issues are unrelated and I simply never saw it. Not to mention the server load and forum Dean set up was running optimal.

And sorry Burt, CGI sucks. That was the issue with the last forum. In fact fewer and fewer host will allow CGI-based forums due to the high resource loads. :mrlooney:

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Huh? :wacko: Well, I can fix your air conditioner...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Not sure what you did, but its "cooking with gas" right now.

cool,cuz i had some very serious posts that needed to get done. B)

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

all good here in oz.................as you were.............standing down.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Dean,

Everything seems to be running smoothly now. Thanks to you and Len. You guys really deserve a raise, you know. :)

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bill, I actually found that reply on Google. It sounded good. I have no idea what it means either. :blink:

Huh? :wacko: Well, I can fix your air conditioner...

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin