IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A BIG ranch in Escondido, California

BS Man about Palms

I had occasion to work at one of the original "Rancho's" in So Cal some months back and intended to post these, but never got around to it. I think the caretakers (Its owned by "the corporation" in Scotland) said it was about 19 square miles?

For those of you locals, its Rancho Guiejito and it is the "east" end of Escondido and stretchs from a mile or two south of Lake Wohlford to the back side of the Wild Animal park.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

so where are the alleged pix? if yer still working on em i respectfully retract my question. :D

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

First shots of the 360 degree view around the Rancho. (With the last two major wild fires in the last 10 years, they said about 95 percent of the Rancho was burned.

post-27-1214153864_thumb.jpg

post-27-1214153900_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

YES, I should add, that for all intents and purposes, the ranch is as far as you can see! I'll show most of the "drive out" too. It takes 15-20 mins to get to the gate from the Rancho!

post-27-1214154106_thumb.jpg

The southwest view side of the house/rancho. The previous was facing north. I believe that when the wild animal park has its big yellow ballon up you can see in the "valley" of the second shot.

post-27-1214154320_thumb.jpg

post-27-1214154375_thumb.jpg

This is looking south then to the east.

post-27-1214154633_thumb.jpg

post-27-1214154689_thumb.jpg

Some more east end pics, "below" the grade.

post-27-1214154848_thumb.jpg

post-27-1214154997_thumb.jpg

The courtyard, facing east. Sorry no house pics. Nothing other than old adobe thats been updated over the last 100 years or more.

post-27-1214155169_thumb.jpg

Now for the drive back...until I ran out of camera memory. (small) It maybe a half mile or more between pics.

post-27-1214155446_thumb.jpg

post-27-1214155525_thumb.jpg

Probably just under a mile to this from the last.

post-27-1214155640_thumb.jpg

Then you came to the "fork". It was a tiny detour, I think mainly during heavy rains. the "left fork" took you you thru giant boulders the van would barely fit thru. I didn't take a picture because I was hoping to get "all" drive out. Next pic was "post fork". :)

post-27-1214155847_thumb.jpg

post-27-1214155889_thumb.jpg

another 1/2 mile or so... "just make a turn at the big boulder" OK.

post-27-1214156067_thumb.jpg

This was another 1/2-3/4 mile. Sadly thats all the memory had. It was still about another 4 miles to the gate. I like the place, kinda like having your own National Park!

post-27-1214156254_thumb.jpg

Oh yes, just in case you are here from the "other" link....... (you'll have to go full size)

post-27-1214157345_thumb.jpg

I wonder what that property would look like on a map. There is an amazing amount of open space in California just 10 miles inland, and a lot of it hidden. The area West of Murrietta always surprises me when I go hiking there.

"The Corporation" sounds shrouded in secrecy to me. They aren't turning it into housing developments, and it's not a good spot for commercial real estate. Maybe they are just sitting on it as a future investment.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Dear Bill, with my inquisitive aussie mind could you please explain the term "Rancho" ? Perhaps here we call it a property, I don't know.

Is there something that defines "Rancho" from a "property" or "farm" or whatever ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I wonder what that property would look like on a map.
Here's Rancho Guejito on the map Terry -

22_31_026_2_07.jpg

Great photos Bill! Thanks for sharing. You're very lucky to have visited that place, not many do.

Rancho Guejito was featured in the LA Times last year in this story, and here are their photos.

A quick Google search turned up this story about the ranch in the North County Times.

Good research Mats, Thanks.

Wal- Rancho's are basically early Mexican land grants. Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranchos_of_California