IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The USA loses ground... and slips to #2

putu enjula

I'm sure fast food plays a big part , but a major reason is also the fact that many restaurants (especially the large chains) here in the USA have been gradually increasing the serving sizes. I remember when we lived in Poway, Claim Jumper opened up a few miles away. I believe it's a nationwide chain. People were walking out of there not just with little "doggie bags" but with shopping bags full of leftovers! The first time we went there, I was pretty full after eating just the appetizer! The next time around, I didn't order an appetizer. And a few years before that when my Dad came to visit (from Sweden) he and his girl friend couldn't believe the amount of food at the typical restaurant, so they would typically split an order between the two of them.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I'm sure fast food plays a big part , but a major reason is also the fact that many restaurants (especially the large chains) here in the USA have been gradually increasing the serving sizes. I remember when we lived in Poway, Claim Jumper opened up a few miles away. I believe it's a nationwide chain. People were walking out of there not just with little "doggie bags" but with shopping bags full of leftovers! The first time we went there, I was pretty full after eating just the appetizer! The next time around, I didn't order an appetizer. And a few years before that when my Dad came to visit (from Sweden) he and his girl friend couldn't believe the amount of food at the typical restaurant, so they would typically split an order between the two of them.

That is an interesting observation Bo, and I read this morning that in the UK the portion sizes of supermarket "ready-meals" have also increased in recent years. I wonder why this is happening? Here is the article: Serving up obesity?

Here in Brazil the weight problems with children has been increasing as has the problem with fat people in general. But, no where near that of the USA. For one most people still do not have cars. So, they have to walk more, even if that is from the bus stop to work, or home. And, as a rule people that can not get home for lunch eat much better than in the USA. There is an abundance of what we call Por Quilo restaurants, or pay per weight buffets. They normally have a great salad bar, home cooked type food, at a reasonable price. I really notice the fat people when I go back to the States. Last year when I took my son from Fort Lauderdale to Tallahasse we stopped a Sonny's Open Pit BBQ restaurant in northern Florida. Not only was I shocked at the amount of food the people were eating, but also the average size of them. I personally like to eat the food here in Brazil much more than in the USA. It is normally fresher, leaner, and even with the devalued dollar cheaper. Maybe a magic weight control pill will be developed. But, if not I really can not see how people will get slimmer since it mostly a cultural factor as to eating and excersizing habits. I normally eat a good home cooked lunch at home everyday, with a fairly regular portion of rice and beans. I do not buy hardly any processed food. Of course having a maid makes that a lot simpler.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

John,

I'm sure that increasing serving sizes is a competitive ploy. On those occasions when we went to Claim Jumper, which was usually when we had visitors from Europe, I was amazed at the number of people waiting to get in. There would always be up to 50-60 people hanging around, waiting up to 60-90 minutes. Those were the ones who hadn't made a reservation obviously, but even with a reservation you had to wait a bit sometimes. And our guests from places like Sweden and England would always be completely amazed at the size of the servings. They had never seen anything like it!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

With all this talk about carbon footprints, going green and saving energy, if you really think about it, food takes a lot of energy. Starting from taking the feed off the field, then somewhere to be stored, later it's processed at another location, then transported to the animals. Then you need to transport the animals to be slaughtered, then to another location (refrigerated) to be packed processed and finally transported to where it will be sold. I saw a show about a 550 pound man and he said that his car did not get very good gas mileage because of his extra weight. So I guess an easy way to conserve energy is to consume less food. :lol:

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

John,

I'm sure that increasing serving sizes is a competitive ploy. On those occasions when we went to Claim Jumper, which was usually when we had visitors from Europe, I was amazed at the number of people waiting to get in. There would always be up to 50-60 people hanging around, waiting up to 60-90 minutes. Those were the ones who hadn't made a reservation obviously, but even with a reservation you had to wait a bit sometimes. And our guests from places like Sweden and England would always be completely amazed at the size of the servings. They had never seen anything like it!

Bo-Göran

Whoa!

I'm FAT. Let's just say it . . .

And I've never even been to Claim Jumper.

Hmm. Bet Denny's is worse . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This is my biggest problem(gut wise)

First came the six pack, next the almighty twelvemeister, up next in the lineup was the gargantuan 30 pack, Oh yeah! The when you thought it could not get any better, along comes the granddaddy of them all, the blockbuster 36 pack. Oh when will it end. burpy.gif

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Dave,

It is hard to order a light breakfast at Denny's. At least that is my experience. It is either a Slam this way or that way. I started ordering senior meals which have less food.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I always have problem ordering food in a restaurant these days... The portion is always huge!!! I would rather pay half and get half a serve. I guess that is why I am not gaining weight... Besides, having 5 acres... there is always plenty to do. Who needs to go to the gym!!! Try running around after 5 and 2.5 years old, and do stuff around the house and garden are enough for me to stay slim.

In town... property is getting smaller all the time, less work around the house. More people spend time at work... hence less manual labour. No wonder everyone is getting bigger.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Yes, I didn't mention portion sizes. When we went to Maggiori's Little Italy in Orlando, the amount of food was unbelievable. The fact that I finished it after a huge starter and then had a desert was even less believable and even provoked a "You did well to finish that" from the waiter. I don't like to leave food, so it's a good job I don't eat out too often. It definitely seems to be a competition thing. There are so many establishments vying for the same business that they think increasing portions will do the job. I have to say the meal at Maggiori's was also the most bland I ate in the US, although the volume of food for the price they charged was phenomenal, I would have much preferred less food and more flavour. There were plenty of well priced places that served flavoursome food in equal abundance as well.

In terms of UK supermarket ready meals, I have to say that the portions were and still are very optimistic. What they say serves 2-3 it is normally a good amount for one and a meal for 3-4 is usually about right for two. Whilst it may sound like it, I really don't eat a lot, although I did on holiday, but I am not exaggerating about the ready meal portions.

Going back to the US, I have to say, when we ate in more upmarket establishments, flavour took priority over quantity and we still ate more than ample. We also noticed extreme contrast in food and beverage prices. You generally expect to pay more at an upmarket restaurant than at a fast food place, but the difference was quite astonishing. At pizza hut, I had a large mug of coffee with unlimited refills for $0.99. At our hotel in Miami a fairly small cup of coffee was $7.00 plus a $3.00 service charge plus 20% gratuity, plus an additional gratuity, if we wanted. At $12.00 for a small coffee, I chose against the additional gratuity.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa