IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Your Favorite Songs

osideterry

My brother and I are pulling together the tunes for our 30th(!) high school reunion in July. I'll likely run the songs from my laptop or iPod. Besides the obvious going with songs that topped the charts, I was curious what you all liked from that era.

1975-78 contained a treasure trove of chart-topping crap. "Billy Don't Be a Hero", "The Night Chicago Died" and "Afternoon Delight" all hit #1. I want to mix in some FM rock (Pink Floyd, Led Zep) to balance out songs like "You Light Up My Life".

Looking forward to your input. Feel free to make a list if you have time.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Thanks Alan. That song hit #39 and was in The Top 40 for 1 week. You make my case that the most influential music of the late 70s weren't hit singles. Looking back, most of the top hits of the 70s were forgettable and unimportant. Kansas, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Steve Miller Band, and Bob Seger all sold platinum and aren't in the following lists. Heck, Fleetwood Mac and Peter Frampton didn't have songs popular enough to rate top 10 for the year.

1. Love Will Keep Us Together, The Captain and Tennille

2. Rhinestone Cowboy, Glen Campbell

3. Philadelphia Freedom, Elton John

4. Before The Next Teardrop Falls, Freddy Fender

5. My Eyes Adored You, Frankie Valli

6. Shining Star, Earth, Wind and Fire

7. Fame, David Bowie

8. Laughter In The Rain, Neil Sedaka

9. One Of These Nights, Eagles

10. Thank God I'm A Country Boy, John Denver

1. Silly Love Songs, Paul McCartney and Wings

2. Don't Go Breaking My Heart, Elton John and Kiki Dee

3. Disco Lady, Johnnie Taylor

4. December, 1963 (Oh, What A Night), Four Seasons

5. Play That Funky Music, Wild Cherry

6. Kiss And Say Goodbye, Manhattans

7. Love Machine (Part 1), The Miracles

8. 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover, Paul Simon

9. Love Is Alive, Gary Wright

10. A Fifth Of Beethoven, Walter Murphy and The Big Apple Band

1. Tonight's The Night, Rod Stewart

2. I Just Want To Be Your Everything, Andy Gibb

3. Best Of My Love, Emotions

4. Love Theme From "A Star Is Born", Barbra Streisand

5. Angel In Your Arms, Hot

6. I Like Dreamin', Kenny Nolan

7. Don't Leave Me This Way, Thelma Houston

8. (Your Love Has Lifted Me) Higher And Higher, Rita Coolidge

9. Undercover Angel, Alan O'Day

10. Torn Between Two Lovers, Mary MacGregor

1. Shadow Dancing, Andy Gibb

2. Night Fever, Bee Gees

3. You Light Up My Life, Debby Boone

4. Stayin' Alive, Bee Gees

5. Kiss You All Over, Exile

6. How Deep Is Your Love, Bee Gees

7. Baby Come Back, Player

8. (Love Is) Thicker Than Water, Andy Gibb

9. Boogie Oogie Oogie, A Taste Of Honey

10. Three Times A Lady, Commodores

Just happens that I really like classic rock and had a brother who was a generation ahead of me...Here's some of my favorites broken down by years:

1975 - Pink Floyd's "Wish you were here"! One of my all time favorite songs

Led Zepplin's "Kashmir"

Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Aerosmith's "Walk This Way"

1976 - Eagle's "Hotel California"

Boston's "More than a feeling"

Blue Oyster Cult "Don't fear the reaper"

Bob Segar's "Night Moves"

1977 - Queen's "We will rock you"

Fleetwood Mac's "Go your own way"

Eric Clapton's "Cocaine" & "Wonderful Tonight"

1978 - Police's "Roxanne"

Dire Straight's "Sultan of Swing"

Bob Segar's "Old time Rock n Roll"

Rolling Stone's "Miss You"

The Who's "Who are you?"

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Oh my!!! Now I really wish I hadn't clicked on this topic!!

"Billy Don't Be a Hero?" "The Night Chicago Died?" "Afternoon Delight?" "You Light Up My Life?" !!!! NO NO NO!!! Please! Make it stop!!!

Now I am going to have nightmares! I would suggest the something from the first two albums by Cheap Trick. It's not dance music but it rocks! (they still rock... I try to see them live whenever I can... Rick Neilsen is a great guitarist!) You could always throw on some Sex Pistols! :lol:

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Styx, Rush, Yes, BOC, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Allman, AC/DC, a little Miles Davis for some difference, and a Willie Nelson just to see who is paying attention.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Joe - I'm right there with you on those songs. Each one is on my long list excepting "Roxanne", "Sultans of Swing", "Miss You" and "Who Are You?" They came out in the Summer and Fall after we all graduated.

Keith and Angela - Further proof that straight up rock survives. Strangely, I like funk better now than I did in high school.

Part of the challenge is creating a balanced mix that makes the reunion special for everyone. I have to equally include disco, funk, r&b soul, country... I'm drawing the line with pure gimmicky pop songs though. Will anyone miss The Bay City Rollers? David Soul or Keith Carradine ballads? C.W. McCall singing "Convoy"? Remember the disco "Star Wars Theme"?

Joe - I'm right there with you on those songs. Each one is on my long list excepting "Roxanne", "Sultans of Swing", "Miss You" and "Who Are You?" They came out in the Summer and Fall after we all graduated.

Keith and Angela - Further proof that straight up rock survives. Strangely, I like funk better now than I did in high school.

Part of the challenge is creating a balanced mix that makes the reunion special for everyone. I have to equally include disco, funk, r&b soul, country... I'm drawing the line with pure gimmicky pop songs though. Will anyone miss The Bay City Rollers? David Soul or Keith Carradine ballads? C.W. McCall singing "Convoy"? Remember the disco "Star Wars Theme"?

Oh my god... Why did I come back to this thread?!?! :lol:

Well, I did want to see if you had a response!

Convoy!!! That song is an audio assault!! (sorry if that comment offends anyone... I am VERY opinionated when it comes to music)

No one will miss that song.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Yay! A big rubber duck 10-4! Don't forget the UK hits; Wizard - See My Baby Jive and Sweet - Blockbuster. Where's the flared trouser emoticon? :P

I was born in 1969 so I didn't really appreciate a lot of the music from those years until much, much later. :)

Once I saw this thread it got me curious as to what music I like actually comes from those three years. I never paid much attention to Heart but I saw them on TV a while back, they kinda rocked... I was surprised. Maybe some at your reunion would like to hear "Crazy on You" or "Barracuda." Then you could throw in "That's the Way (I Like It)" by KC and the Sunshine band :mrlooney: How 'bout "I Can't Stand Losing You" by the Police?

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

I'm going to come back to this topic, the footy's on.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Some disco? Donna Summer - I Feel Love (1977) Earth, Wind & Fire - Boogie Wonderland (1979)

Terry,

Thanks for bringing back some old memories. I was only 7-10 during this time frame but I had a Panasonic radio/tape recorder and loved this music. I would call the radio station and request a song and them wait for them to play it so I could tape it. Two of my favorites were Wildfire and Seasons in the Sun. My parents probably hate both of those songs because I played them over and over again. I don't know why, but I don't have either of them on my iPod, but I will download them now. Thanks again,

Kathryn

"Tattler" by Ry Cooder was a great song

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

Keith - In high school I had albums by most of the artists you mentioned. They all had hits before and/or after my high school years, but not during. (Except maybe Styx)

Angela and Kathryn - You must be about the same age as each other (and thanks for making me feel old!). The music that was playing when I was 8-11 years old is way more nostalgic than my high school years also. Todd Rundren's "Hello It's Me" and Chicago's "Stronger Every Day" come to mind instantly. The Heart songs are on my long list, and hold up real well.

John - Sweet is great. I'm including "Ballroom Blitz" for sure. It, "Little Willy", "Fox On the Run" and "Love is Like Oxygen" were hits here in the states.

Sol - Ry Cooder falls in the "important and influential but unknown to a teenager in 1977" category. His guitar work might sneak in on a Stones or Van Morrison song.

Ted Mulry Gang - Jump in my car

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

This was kind of a weak period for pop music; I escaped by listening to slightly older music from Clapton and Neil Young. Joni Mitchell came out with Court and Spark in 1974, so I was still listening to that as well.

A few names to add: Rolling Stones: Shattered, Respectable, Beast of Burden. Linda Ronstadt: Heat Wave, Love is a Rose, That'll Be the Day, It's So Easy, Poor Poor Pitiful Me. Warren Zevon: the whole Excitable Boy album, especially Werewolves of London.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Cold Chisel - Khe Sanh (1978)

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

When I was 8-9, the music would be lost in the 50's! I had been out of high school for 10 years in 1977! Lordy, that seems like eons ago! I don't remember much music from the 70's or 80's. Just didn't care for it.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Terry,

All the UK Number 1 hits from 1975 to 1978. ;)

Status Quo - Down Down

Tymes - Ms Grace

Pilot - January

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)

Telly Savalas - If

Bay City Rollers - Bye Bye Baby

Mud - Oh Boy

Tammy Wynette - Stand By Your Man

Windsor Davies & Don Estelle - Whispering Grass

10 CC - I'm Not In Love

Johnny Nash - Tears On My Pillow

Bay City Rollers - Give A Little Love

Typically Tropical - Barbados

Stylistics - Can't Give You Anything (But My Love)

Rod Stewart - Sailing

David Essex - Hold Me Close

Art Garfunkel - I Only Have Eyes For You

David Bowie - Space Oddity

Billy Connolly - D.I.V.O.R.C.E.

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Abba - Mamma Mia

Slik - Forever And Ever

Four Seasons - December '63.

Tina Charles - I Love To Love

Brotherhood Of Man - Save Your Kisses For Me

Abba - Fernando

J J Barrie - No Charge

Wurzels - Combine Harvester

Real Thing - You To Me Are Everything

Demis Roussos - Forever And Ever

Elton John & Kiki Dee - Don't Go Breaking My Heart

Abba - Dancing Queen

Pussycat - Mississippi

Chicago - If You Leave Me Now

Showaddywaddy - Under The Moon Of Love

Johnny Mathis - When A Child Is Born

David Soul - Don't Give Up On Us

Julie Covington - Don't Cry For Me Argentina

Leo Sayer - When I Need You

Manhattan Transfer - Chanson D'Amour

Abba - Knowing You Knowing Me

Deniece Williams - Free

Rod Stewart - I Don't Want To Talk About It / First Cut Is The Deepest

Kenny Rogers - Lucille

Jacksons - Show You The Way To Go

Hot Chocolate - So You Win Again

Donna Summer - I Feel Love

Brotherhood Of Man - Angelo

Floaters - Float On

Elvis Presley - Way Down

David Soul - Silver Lady

Baccara - Yes Sir I Can Boogie

Abba - The Name Of The Game

Wings - Mull Of Kintyre

Althia & Donna - Up Town top Ranking

Brotherhood Of Man

Abba - Take A Chance On Me

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights

Brian & Michael - Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs

Bee Gees - Night Fever

Boney M - Rivers Of Babylon

John Travolta & Olivia Newton John - You're The One That I Want

Commodores - Three Times A Lady

10 CC - Dreadlock Holiday.

John Travolta & Olivia Newton John - Summer Nights

Boomtown Rats - Rat Trap

Rod Stewart - Da Ya Think I'm Sexy

Boney M - Mary's Boy Child / Oh My Lord

john how long did it take to type all that?it would've taken me hours!!! :D

is that the same "pilot" that had a hit with the song "magic"?

terry you could incorporate some early punk,as someone suggested earlier,like ramones,talking heads,elvis costello,iggy pop,to name a few.

a few suggestions in a more "middle-of-the-road" vein:gerry rafferty,elo,ringo starr(had more hits than any other ex-beatle),carpenters(yes,i know they are EVIL,but i get misty when i hear "rainy days & mondays"),kiss(thats right,you heard me!).

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

john how long did it take to type all that?it would've taken me hours!!! :D

Copied and pasted from a website. Ha, ha!!

sorry i "exposed" you! :P

still "warning-free."

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's interesting what did and didn't overlap from the US and UK charts.

One more hitch in my playlist: Regionality. I'm talking about Joplin, Missouri. (10 miles from Kansas, 10 miles from Oklahoma, 40 miles from Arkansas) Head East's "There's Never Been Any Reason" is mandatory. I might have to include Jim Stafford songs like "Spiders and Snakes" and "Wildwood Weed".

I wasn't aware of punk until I moved to Colorado, and my friends and I formed a punk band we called "The Cheese Pistols". Back in MO we had called ourselves "The Cheese-Clark Five". None of us were real musicians, but we did take some publicity photos.

the "hitch" changes everything! better stick with the truly "MOR" stuff and am hits!

still "warning-free."

Australian charts/radio used to be, that's used to be, the best because we had, that's we had, the best of UK, the best of USA and our own local music in the one chart, ask any aussie they'll agree. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: except of course mid/late 70s when the pickings were slim. What was going on here at that time was the evolution and realisation of great aussie bands/artists who were about to conquer the world. My fav songs 1975-1978 ? well basically it was album listening days so chart stuff wasn't high priority with me then. I was into Supertramp, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, The Eagles, Neil Young, Pal Simon, Beatles solo gear, etc etc, but by album only.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Paul - Give Joplin a litlle credit! We actually had the following bands play Memorial Hall Auditorium when I lived there: Ted Nugent (and The Amboy Dukes), REO Speedwagon, Grand Funk Railroad, and amazingly... Badfinger!

I've been listening to 70s stations on iTunes the last 3 days just to jog my memory. They'll follow the classic Stevie Wonder's "Living Just Enough for fhe City" with "Moonlight Feels Right".

I DARE anyone to watch/listen to this:

In 1975 Cooper released his first solo album, which marked the final break with the original members of the Alice Cooper band. Again collaborating with producer Bob Ezrin, and recruiting Lou Reed guitarist Dick Wagner, (as well as Reed's backing band) the project eventually resulted in Welcome To My Nightmare.

Spearheaded by the US Top 20 hit "Only Women Bleed", a ballad, the solo album was released by Atlantic Records in March 1975 and became a Top 10 hit for Cooper. It was a concept album, based on the nightmare of a child named Steven, featuring narration by classic horror movie film star Vincent Price (several years before he guested on Michael Jackson's "Thriller"), and serving as the soundtrack to Cooper's new stage show, which now included more theatrics than ever.

Accompanying the album and stage show was the TV special The Nightmare, starring Cooper and Vincent Price in person, which aired on US prime-time TV in April 1975. The Nightmare, the first rock music video album ever made (it was later released on home video in 1983 and gained a Grammy Awards nomination for Best Long Form Music Video), was regarded as another groundbreaking moment in rock history. Adding to all that, a concert film, also called Welcome to My Nightmare and filmed live at London's Wembley Arena in September 1975, was released to theaters in 1976.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Terry,

Not sure where they fall in your specific 70s years, but I found this great list.

http://www.bradboard.com/70s.htm

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Here's a UK site which has some good stuff and may jog your memory...

UK Chart Listings and commentary

I think there were some great songs in this period, and plenty of memorable 'one hit wonders'...certainly brings back memories of high school!

As Wal said, we got US, UK and Oz music, so had it pretty good.

What about

'Magic Man' by Heart

'Baker Street' by Gerry Rafferty

'Skyhigh' by (British) Jigsaw

Also, good Aussie songs of the time...

'It's a Long Way to The Top' by AC/DC

'Girls on the Avenue' by Richard Clapton

'All My Friends are Getting Married' by Skyhooks

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

John beat me to it. I was wondering where ABBA was? Can't have 70s dance music without ABBA.

Man '75. Brings back memories of riding with the top down, drinking brew and bringing down the man! For me that was riding a Big Wheel, drinking from a sippy-cup and pissing off my Dad, but memories none the less. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Even though 1975 - 1978 was a mere 3 years, the music trends were enormous. The Disco period erupted as I recall and the Bee Gees got their second or third wind.

Hey Daz, that was a grand time for ELO of course, almost forgot about Jeff Lynne and the lads with albums "Face the Music", "A New World Record" and "Out of the Blue" all released in that period.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Exile - Kiss you all over

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Even though 1975 - 1978 was a mere 3 years, the music trends were enormous. The Disco period erupted as I recall and the Bee Gees got their second or third wind.

Hey Daz, that was a grand time for ELO of course, almost forgot about Jeff Lynne and the lads with albums "Face the Music", "A New World Record" and "Out of the Blue" all released in that period.

Yeah, I was going to mention it...their three best albums plus Eldorado.

There was quite a variety of music during that period as you mentioned...something for everyone.

Daz.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Bungle in the Jungle - Jethro Tull

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

John beat me to it. I was wondering where ABBA was? Can't have 70s dance music without ABBA.

Man '75. Brings back memories of riding with the top down, drinking brew and bringing down the man! For me that was riding a Big Wheel, drinking from a sippy-cup and pissing off my Dad, but memories none the less. :)

:floor:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

For me, the most influential UK pop song of 1978 was "Wuthering Heights" by Kate Bush. Did that song ever chart in the US? You probably wouldn't want to play it at a party, though. :unsure:

I was also only 7-10 years old in that time but thats when I really started liking music. Some I can think of;

Barry White-""Can't Get Enough of Your Love" (not in your time period but one of the best songs from the '70s

10cc-"I'm Not in Love"

ABBA-"SOS"

America- "Sister Golden Hair"

Bee Gees- "Jive Talkin'"

Eagles- "Lyin' Eyes"

Eagles- "Take It to the Limit"

ELO- "Evil Woman"

Elton John- "Philadelphia Freedom"

Four Seasons- "December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)"

Hot Chocolate-"You Sexy Thing"

Jigaw-"Sky High"

KISS-"Rock and Roll All Nite"

Michael Martin Murphey- "Wildfire"

Queen-"Bohemian Rhapsody"

Queen- "You're My Best Friend"

Van McCoy-"The Hustle"

ABBA-"Dancing Queen"

ABBA-"Knowing Me, Knowing You"

Al Stewart- "Year of tMore, More, More he Cat"

Andrea True-"More, More, More"

Blue Oyster Cult-"(Don't Fear) The Reaper"

Eagles-"Hotel California"

Elton John & Kiki Dee- "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"

ELO-"Livin' Thing"

England Dan & John Ford Coley- "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight"

Fleetwood Mac-"Go Your Own Way"

KISS-"Beth"

Lou Rawls- "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine"

Paul McCartney & Wings-"Silly Love Songs"

Starbuck- "Moonlight Feels Right"

Starland Vocal Band-"Afternoon Delight"

Steve Miller Band- "Rock'n Me"

ABBA-"The Name of the Game"

ABBA-"Take a Chance on Me"

Andy Gibb- "I Just Want to Be Your Everything"

ELO- "Turn to Stone"

Elvis Costello-"Alison"

Elvis Costello-"Watching the Detectives"

KC and the Sunshine Band-"Keep It Comin' Love"

Neil Diamond-"Desiree"

Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack

Styx-"Come Sail Away"

Village People-"San Francisco (You've Got Me)"

Blondie-"Heart of Glass"

Cheap Trick- "Surrender"

Chuck Mangione-"Feels So Good"

Devo-"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"

Earth, Wind & Fire- "September"

Exile- "Kiss You All Over"

John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John-"Summer Nights"

John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John- "You're The One That I Want"

Neil Diamond- "Forever in Blue Jeans"

Nick Gilder "Hot Child in the City"

The B-52's-"Rock Lobster"

The Cars-"Just What I Needed"

The Cars-"My Best Friend's Girl"

The Police- "Roxanne"

Rod Stewart- "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?"

Player-"Baby Come Back"

Suzy Quatro & Chris Norman- "Stumblin' In"

Van Halen-"Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love"

Village People-"Macho Man"

Village People- Y.M.C.A."

(Didn't include any punk like The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Ramones, etc)

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

did anyone mention peter frampton yet? he was all you heard on the radio for a while there.same with fleetwood mac.

still "warning-free."