IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Tropical tree I.D. needed

Walt

I know this may be a long shot but I thought I would post it for what it's worth.

A friend gave me a seed from a tree she saw in Cancun, Mexico, and I planted it (about two years ago).

I have no idea what species of tree it is, hence my post here.

At present the tree is somewhat over four feet tall. I think it's semi deciduous in winter. While I keep it sheltered in my green house, it's still exposed to far lower temperatures than what it would see in Cancun. But it's never been exposed to freezing temperatures.

Here's an overall photo of the tree:

2178421540042496162dpBQiA_th.jpg

by waltcat100

Here's a photo showing the tree's leaves more closely:

2322476640042496162IhrYzX_th.jpg

by waltcat100

Mad about palms

Yes, Lisa sent me the seed and many others. I have other trees and/or shrubs I'm growing from seed she gave me and I havent a clue as to what they are. I will photo them soon and post them here.

I just wish Bob Riffle was here to help. I miss Bob and his expertise.

Mad about palms

I was also going to guess it was from Lisa, but that guess and answer has already been posted. Did you germinate those Delonix seeds that Lisa sent you that were a more vibrant red? I believe I recall her saying she was going to, or had sent you some Delonix seeds from Mexico. We got to give Zac some pointers on the fun of cracking Delonix pods open while in Mexico.

Wish I could ID the plant Walt but I can not. Certainly as you pointed out I'm sure Bob could have.

Lee

Lee: Lisa did send me some Delonix regia seeds, the vibrant ones you are talking about. I germinated some and have them in separate pots now.

I sent Lisa a link to this post as she's curious as to what the unknown tree is.

Mad about palms

Walt, do the leaves have an odor when crushed.  That plant looks a little bit familiar.  I wonder if it may be Bunchosia?

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Walt, I am very happy it is growing well for you. I certainly should have stayed a few more months to take a picture of the blooms,  :) it would have helped.

I opened up a lot of Delonix when I was there... habit of working in the garden that I was missing :-) Zac you better takes some gloves if Lee wants to try that on your little fingers ! Lee, pics are coming soon, now that the weather is getting cooler I will be less busy. I have started already right !

Can I offer these seeds here as a  trade ? I have 600 of them that I want to offer for 20 seeds of brahea decumbens. If I am asking too much, let me know... I am not used to that board. Wishing you luck for the name Walt !

LisaVaBeach

z8a

and

SC - Beaufort area

Alan: I shredded, crumpled, tore, etc. a whole leaf and there wasn't any discernable odor.

I will continue to container grow this tree as I'm all but sure it won't survive my climate. However, I have friends and relatives who have lake front property and I may let one of them try to grow it, but not until it's too big for me to container grow.

Lisa: I wish you had taken a photo of the tree you got the seed from, then it might have been easier to I.D. But, that's the way it goes. I have some more stuff growing from seed you gave me and I need to post photos of them too, for I.D.

Walt

Mad about palms

Hi Lisa,

I'm not complaining (that you didn't get photos) . I'm thankful you shared with me the bounty of the seeds you collected down there. I think you gave me a dozen of so different kinds. Also, I have stuff coming up from seeds you gave me from your Phoenix Az trip.

Walt

Mad about palms

It looks like a Tropical Almond, or Terminalia catalpa.  Do the leaves turn a deep red before falling in the winter?  The branches seem to have a strong "whorling" habit.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Jerry: No, the leaves don't turn red before falling. If you look at my first photo you can see the leaves ready to fall off are yellow.

I sure agree the leaves look similar to tropical almond, even the habit of a young TA tree (I did a Google search). But I'm just not sure about this tree and will just have to wait until it gets bigger.

I was with Bob Riffle a few years ago down in Palm Beach County. We went to a nursery that was closing down. The guy's last name was Covington. Anyway, is saw some trees I weren't familar with and Bob told me they were tropical almond. But as I recall, just seeing them from a distance, they reminded me of southern magnolia trees, but with tiers of branches. The leaves looked darker and thicker than the leaves on my tree.

Mad about palms

It could be a relative or another species of Terminalia  it does seem to invoke that ID now that it has been offered, although could be Bunchosia.  A picture says a thousand words, but none of them seem to ID...

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Terminalia catappa seeds are pretty big and distinctive.  I'm not sure what a seedling would look like.  It looks sort of as if the leaves may tend to be clustered on short shoots--which would be a good identification character.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

If I recall, the seed was relatively big (maybe in inch or more long). I know at least one seed Lisa gave me was big, and that's why it was of interest to me. I recall I I.D.ed the name tag saying: Lisa, big seed from Cancun.

Mad about palms

I think there are other species of Terminalia other than catappa. I believe I saw them on another forum a while back, perhaps Eric S from Leu posted them? I thought about Tropical Almond at first but shrugged it off because it doesn't really look like the TA's I have seen in South Texas and in NE Mexico.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery