IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Time for Ti

joe_OC

Wow Kim, looking at your photos makes me wish I'd been planting and growing them in the SD garden. I'll take some cuttings from the Hilo garden the next time over and let you experiment with those. BTW, I'm still working on a response to your questions regarding my island garden plans. Complex site with many considerations.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here are some of mine. You can see some snail and insect damage on some....

post-71-1213982045_thumb.jpg

post-71-1213982056_thumb.jpg

post-71-1213982070_thumb.jpg

post-71-1213982081_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

2 More.

post-71-1213982220_thumb.jpg

post-71-1213982240_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Here are some more pictures...

post-1234-1213997467_thumb.jpg

These New Guinea Black (above) were started from one cutting that was two feet tall.... it has been in the ground for about 2.5 years. There is a one gallon pot on the wall for scale.

post-1234-1213997851_thumb.jpg

Here is a ti that fell over! Guess I should plant those!

• Like 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

post-1234-1213998092_thumb.jpg

This is a Peter Buck that has been in the ground for 5 years.

When it was planted it was the size of that one gallon ti which is in the photo for scale.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Epicure,

Thanks for taking the time to post your pics. Definitely the largest in ground red Ti plants I've seen in SoCal. The emerging theme so far seems to be coastal gardens using reds and blacks with the extra protection of hardscape and surrounding houses. Now if only we could find a way to mitigate the hard water and insects. :)

I'm curious now about the major gardens in SoCal. I don't remember seeing any in pics of Quail Gardens, Balboa Park/Zoo, etc. Am I just not paying attention, or do they need that cozy "backyard" environment? Any more pics from Ti lovers?

While it appears there are several varieties that will survive in selected SoCal locations, I still remain unconvinced that "all Ti plants should do fine in 10a/b." I think they are a demanding plant to get to look good, and there are many more varieties that will fail, than will succeed.

Those who wish to try should really look for the "Black Magic/Negri." These have really flourished for me in Cali and are about eight feet tall now. Once they get that large, it's harder for the snails to find them. :) But I still have to watch out for the thrips.

• Like 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

We just bought this one yesterday at Wal Mart (all this talk of tis make me want more :drool: )

The name on it was Ballerina Grande! I'm not sure if "Big Ballerina" is a very flattering name! :lol:

post-1234-1213998888_thumb.jpg

Thanks Epicure for sharing those pics... looks like you're doing a great job so far!! :)

• Like 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Wow Kim, looking at your photos makes me wish I'd been planting and growing them in the SD garden. I'll take some cuttings from the Hilo garden the next time over and let you experiment with those. BTW, I'm still working on a response to your questions regarding my island garden plans. Complex site with many considerations.

Tim

Wow, thanks Tim, I'd like to see what will grow here. And looking forward to hearing the details about your site from a design standpoint.

John, nice photos, I really like your garden, you have so much variety.

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Tim

Wow, thanks Tim, I'd like to see what will grow here. And looking forward to hearing the details about your site from a design standpoint.

John, nice photos, I really like your garden, you have so much variety.

Thanks Kim.

• Like 1

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Well, I've got my list of ti's together and will be placing an order soon. Looks like it will be a fun project to see how they will do in my yard. Thanks from all the feedback and pictures.

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Well, I've got my list of ti's together and will be placing an order soon. Looks like it will be a fun project to see how they will do in my yard. Thanks from all the feedback and pictures.

Good luck! Let us know what you get.

• Like 1

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

• 11 years later...

Hi Matt,

I had a list of ti’s I was going to post, but I figured including pics would be better.  Will post soon.

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Onomea - About 10 years old.  Full sun 8-9’ tall now

D261E360-83E4-4DEE-87AB-47DEC92A4394.thumb.jpeg.44020a432bdaeac6151f8ba079ffd320.jpeg

Black Ribbon - About 8 years old.  I use it as a hedge.  Constantly trimming it down to keep it around 4’ tall.  They are 6' now but will wait until next Spring.  Full sun.

82E94C7E-9627-4CA0-BC6C-F1ED9633A761.thumb.jpeg.ace890575a4038413ed8fba02b42a5fd.jpeg

Dr. Brown

Around 8 years old.  Started it as a cutting.  About 3’ tall with lots of suckers.  Full sun

F3CB59C2-769F-464E-9C7F-E202C29D27D1.thumb.jpeg.79f4ee889d2e2c37360765b20c416ebc.jpeg

Lots more to come

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Florica - About 10 years old.  Leaf damage from heat wave a couple of weeks ago.  Trimmed main stalk back earlier.  Like to keep them under 3’ tall.  Full sun.  

image.thumb.jpg.6b633e173bedd7933cad65f1d5bb82b8.jpg

Maria - About 10 years old.  Needs more sun to be happy.  Responded well to plumerias being trimmed back.  
image.thumb.jpg.099d4f9ce5bf8ff7c54698f29e6b49ab.jpg

Bolero & Auntie Lou

Recent plantings for this location.  I have mother plants in other parts of the yard that are over 6’ tall.  Both need full sun to get best colors near the coast.

image.thumb.jpg.161059a02992a36fba96883e01456e52.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Xerox reaching for sun.  I initially thought they wanted shade, but they really want full sun.

C8F38DB7-B0C3-4805-8BA5-4FE77FFF2DD4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I have several I started last year from cuttings:
Schubertii

Orange Glow

Wiley’s Gold

Hawaiian Flag

image.thumb.jpg.7466de97cce3025366886d42c0da45b4.jpg 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 3 years later...

Ti plants do pretty well here in Southern California. If you live in a place like the San Fernando Valley (or other inland areas) where the heat and sun can get a bit extreme, plant your Ti plants in a location where they get a little shade (preferably from the worst of the afternoon heat and bright, blaring sun.) I've attached a couple of photos of some Ti plants planted at Downtown Disney and the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, California.  

TI1.png

TI3.png

Edited by Mahalo2
  • Like 3

Green Ti in purple bloom.  A nice color pairing.

20230511-BH3I0958.jpg

20230511-BH3I0959.jpg

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Apparently the wildlife like the berries.  A few more go missing each day:

00_Hawaiian_Ti.jpg.bd895504466240158772b68a608ab393.jpg 01_Hawaiian_Ti.jpg.97f28f6846d2079dcffe618597ce77da.jpg

02_Hawaiian_Ti.jpg.0038681a4c80811974490a56b634f143.jpg

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F