IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Actinokentia divaricata

Eric in Orlando

I planted this small Actinokentia divaricata out last year. It is currently opening a new leaf and has nice red coloring.

img_1674.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric,

Our palms must be long lost twins. Mine is about the same size and is pushing much the same frond this week as well. VERY SLOW.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Very nice color. I'm still waiting for mine to through a new red leaf. I thought this was my slowest growing palm, but it's pushing it's second spear since last December, so it's no longer the slowest, that honor belongs to my Kentiopsis magnifica.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Nice color. I had two that were doing great in 5 gallon containers and both of them died about 6 months ago for some crazy reason. I was totally surprised because I had them for over 3 years and they made it through a much rougher winter the year before. :rage:

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Nice color. I had two that were doing great in 5 gallon containers and both of them died about 6 months ago for some crazy reason. I was totally surprised because I had them for over 3 years and they made it through a much rougher winter the year before. :rage:

Weird. I had two plants in 5 gallon containers that I've been growing for about 4 years. One died a couple months ago, and now the other one is down to the newest leaf, the other four leaves turned brown in less than a month...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Jean and Chantal Pierson from New Caledonia visited the Big Island just over a week ago. They were instrumental in planning the Biennial in New Caledonia in 2000, and Kentiopsis piersoniorum is of course named after them. They were amazed at how well all the New Caledonia palms do here, and ironically, they have great difficulties growing a number of them at their place close to Noumea. Many of the palms are from Mt. Panie and soil and rainfall is quite different in Noumea. As I mentioned in another Actinokentia thread recently, this palm is a reasonably fast and predictable grower here.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Eric,

I'm glad to see it doing well....so far. They are extreamly slow and really are fustrating to grow here in south Florida. I do have one in the ground(double head) at the nursery thats probably been planted now for 7-8 years, it's alive, but just dosen't grow much. I hope you have better luck up there.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Water death I'd guess not temperature, either not enough or too much.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I really wonder how popular they would be but for that awesome photo on the PACSOA site.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

I planted this small Actinokentia divaricata out last year. It is currently opening a new leaf and has nice red coloring.

img_1674.jpg

Looking good Eric. Is that a home made sign? Looks good too.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

S L O W

bUT WORTH THE GO

Seriously.

(Putting my hat on frontwards)

Give it, shade, water, Death Camp Clay Soil, and it'll, well, if not rock (like the crown on the dog) at least prosper.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nice plant Eric. Mine made it through 30F unscathed.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Looking good Eric. Is that a home made sign? Looks good too.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 10 months later...

As I mentioned in the other thread, a great palm. Mine is heavily mulched & watered frequently. Yes it is slow but not as slow as everyone seems to be implying. I don,t expect mine to get as large as Bo's in my lifetime. I simply enjoy its existance as it is. :)

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 2 years later...

Updates--I'm thinking of trying this one in my rainforest section... I might already have one(I bought a macrocarpa seedling almost 2 years ago and it opens 2 leaves a year and this last leaf has held it's color nearly a month)...

• 3 weeks later...

What a great palm Eric. Bit of a tounguetwister though!

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

• 2 weeks later...

Had to do it--got me a little one and planted her. She rewarded me by throwing a kinda red leaf.

post-5491-039800200 1330632414_thumb.jpg

post-5491-084708400 1330632422_thumb.jpg

Had to do it--got me a little one and planted her. She rewarded me by throwing a kinda red leaf.

They get redder as they get bigger.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

wow, this post must have hitched a ride on an 88mph DeLorean

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 years later...

Very slow - still only one new frond per annum.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Hey, At least its still surviving. Is it still throwing a nice red leaf? Does it get any direct sun?

Iam also getting a new red leaf on mine ".Is it that time of the year" the palm allways looks good planted about 3 yrs ago and gets 1-2 new leaves a year. in filtered light on a drip heavy mulch. Very slow but a great palm for the understory. :greenthumb:

Mine here at the nursery is now a good 6' tall and pushing a new, large spear in each head ( a single trunk that split into two heads). The spears are pointing to the skies and are at 8-9' at the tip. Of course when fully opened, the actual palm will only be a couple of inches higher. Anywho....it was planted in September, 1999 at 2' from a 3 gallon size pot. This was seed grown that was collected from a cultivated plant in Sharon Peterson's garden in Hawaii.

So basically, it has grown a good 4' plus in just under 15 years. I would call that pretty slow. But it has survived through the extreme lows of 30 degree weather here over the years.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.