IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pics from Nong Nooch

bruno

Any guesses as to what post #66, pic 1 is of? Those are amazing palms too.

Hi Len,

I just noticed you ask what those beauty's where, There Pigaffeta filiars

the "White Pig", aren't they stunning.

Cheers Mikey :)

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

In fact, two more pics from Nong Nooch which is not only a display of palms but also a garden with many attractions like thai dances, elephant show, a large lake, restaurants and hotels now. you can check it up on internet.

Here are two pics that show a fac simile of Stonehenge in England and an idea of Verailles gardens in France.

Cambodgeoctobre20061411.jpg

Cambodgeoctobre20061431.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Now in Bangok, real travelog this time...looking at the river that crosses the town, a large avenue, full of boats coming up and down.

Cambodgeoctobre20061851.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Thai's talent for plants and flowers is at its height in this incredible flower arrangement. It is at least 3,5m high!

Cambodgeoctobre20061921.jpg

There are orchids everywhere.

Cambodgeoctobre20061931.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Wow. I never would have guessed they coudl look that good!

Hi Len,

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Hi Len,

Mikey, Are you still there?

I am blown away by those 'White Pigs." So I did some checking. I wanted to find out if they were as gnarly (spiny) as the other type(s). I have stayed away from them because of their spininess.

However, I came across this at PACSOA. Apparently there is some confusion over this species. What do you know? What do I look for if I want the "White Pig?" Are they any less spiny?

Check this out PACSOA PIGAFFETA FILIARS

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Dean,

I'm still not quite sure how the misunderstanding came about, but this is what I've been getting out of it: all the ones that have been sold here in Hawaii under the P. filaris name are, in fact, P. elata. And this is identical to the palm in the PACSOA link. I still don't know what a real P. filaris looks like, but the ones in Post #66 are sure different, so maybe that's the real deal, i.e. the real P. filaris? And yes, I'd love to get some - with or without spines. I'm not picky! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hi Len,

I am blown away by those 'White Pigs." So I did some checking. I wanted to find out if they were as gnarly (spiny) as the other type(s). I have stayed away from them because of their spininess.

However, I came across this at PACSOA. Apparently there is some confusion over this species. What do you know? What do I look for if I want the "White Pig?" Are they any less spiny?

Check this out PACSOA PIGAFFETA FILIARS

Hi Guys,

The Picture on the PACSOA site is not correct, Clayton and I were just having a laugh

about that, the writing is correct but again the picture is not correct at all, that pic is P.elata.

The Picture in post 66 is the true 'sp' and has just as many spines as P. elata.

Regards Mikey.. :)

Edited by calyptrocalyx&licuala freck

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Hi Guys,

The Picture on the PACSOA site is not correct, Clayton and I were just having a laugh

about that, the writing is correct but again the picture is not correct at all, that pic is P.elata.

The Picture in post 66 is the true 'sp' and has just as many spines as P. elata.

Regards Mikey.. :)

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Now on to the flower market of Bangkok. An absolute must go! I wanted to buy everythig I saw there and wanted to bring it back to Mada, with me. This is at the entrance, water lilies and lotus.

Cambodgeoctobre20062041.jpg

And a pretty smile at the end of the day.

Vietnamoctobre20060171.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Just before I left mada for Thailand, I remember someone posting about a coconut that does not produce water but instead a cream inside that one eats with a spoon. I found two dealers of it! Righ there! I was so happy. And tried to bring one back but they were too large already. Next time.

Vietnamoctobre20060201.jpg

I wanted to get that one also. And amazing, I saw it in Mada at the foot of Isalo mountains, i the wild! So this family can be native to Madagascar?

Vietnamoctobre2006022.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Does anyone of you know what the name of this plant is? I have looked everywhere I could without any result. I have found seeds here in tana and I just throw them on the ground and when the heat and rain arrive, they germinate. Disappear when the cold comes. Anyone please?

Vietnamoctobre20060161.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Hi Bruno--the plant with whiskers is a bat flower, Tacca chantrieri, native to South East Asia. I found the name of your pretty vine also, Ipomoea quamoclit, native to Mexico and tropical Americas. That flower market looks like fun, I'm amazed by the bonsai and array of plants.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks Kim, but where did you look to find out?

I did a google image search for "red flowered vine, ferny foliage" and tracked it down from a photo listing the common name as cypress vine. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks Kim, but where did you look to find out?

I did a google image search for "red flowered vine, ferny foliage" and tracked it down from a photo listing the common name as cypress vine. :)

Resourceful girl, that Kim. You should have seen her in Switzerland.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear Bruno :)

those flower markets looks great,and it is clear as to what you said that thai people love nature & its evident through your pictures....But i must tell you that its the other way around here in india...people have very scant regards to gardening or for excotic plants.

lovely tour and i feel like walking with you through your stills_thanks :)

lots of love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, thanks. What i found in India is that if Indians don't have any passion for plants, all animals are respected ! Although, what I saw in Kerala was plenty of plants and fields so well tended. bruno

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Dear Bruno :)

Wow! south india does not seem to be a new place to you_that's great ! And speaking of kerala(GOD's OWN COUNTRY)...i think the maximum rainfall & greenary seen in entire south india is kerala.and coconuts,coconuts..bamboo's every where.

my aunt used to live in trivandram & a distant relative in cochin.i used to visit them along with my parents when i was around 6 to 8 years old.so i do not have any vivid memories of that place now ! but when time permits i intend to tour this place...

In india north eastern province of manipur,mizoram,meghalaya,assam..areas near burma,nepal are supposed to be biologiest paradise...but we ourself don't visit these places for security reasons...

Lots of love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, what I liked most in the landscapes of kerala were all the coconuts and areca catchus among the rice fields.

here is one of the many dealers with beautiful palms

Vietnamoctobre20060251.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Back to the streets of Bangkok with what I really liked: plants everywhere, even lotus in huge pots at one big cross section, with lots of pollution.

Vietnamoctobre20060131.jpg

Palms in pots everywhere also!

Vietnamoctobre20060891.jpg

And orchids. Orchids everywhere.

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

And orchids all along many streets.

Vietnamoctobre20060881.jpg

And along the klongs,

Vietnamoctobre20060841.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

A funny and cheap way to have plants in pots, with no drainage problem. I've taken up the idea in my garden because I cannot find plastic pots here. Although I hide the bottle with natural elements.

Vietnamoctobre20060011.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

A few steps at Jim Thompson's place. He re started the art of thai silk.

Vietnamoctobre20060521.jpg

I told you, orchids!

Vietnamoctobre20060551.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Vietnamoctobre20060641.jpg

Last pic in Thailand. I hope you will make it there and we can meet our thai palm fanatics.

Vietnamoctobre20060821.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Does anyone of you know what the name of this plant is? I have looked everywhere I could without any result. I have found seeds here in tana and I just throw them on the ground and when the heat and rain arrive, they germinate. Disappear when the cold comes. Anyone please?

Vietnamoctobre20060161.jpg

As Kim stated later, it is a Cypress vine. They grow here in Zone 9a as periennial vines. While not aggresive, the are certainly persistent. Beautiful vine and the more it rains the better they look. I had one climbing a Pine Tree along with a Rangoon Creeper that made for quite and interesting combo. The creeper was using the cypress vine for support. I'll find it when I get home and post in a separate thread.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Most Thai definitely has special talent with plants, especially variegated ones. I am not sure what they do, but they have variegated everything. I don't know whether I want to go to that market... I think it will be a torture to see ALL the plants that I want and I know I can't take them home...

Bruno,

You should've got the special coconut. We have them back home too and I think they are some kind of mutation. They are very tasty and if I can get one, I would definitely grow them. They look just like normal coconut.

Regards, Ari :)

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Charlemchart! That's an incredible synchronicity... I love it. Out of the hundreds of streets in Bangkok. Maybe that palm needs a friend.

Ari as i said it was too big to take home and if I get caught with a seed in Tana airport... bad;

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Thank you very much.Mind Bending pictures of what has to be the most incredible Tropical Garden in the World!

What you look for is what is looking

Excellent Bruno. Your photos and journeys are always appreciated here!!!

Yes Bruno. Same here. Thank you for taking me to places I may never see in real life. Seeing them through the eyes of a palm lover doubles the experience.

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

When Kampong visited me some years back. I asked him how many gardeners he employed. His answer was "About 400." He said labor was cheap in Thailand. He showed me some pictures of his property and there were mountains in the distance. He said he owned land all the way to the mountains.

Kampong had already been to Florida on his visit and had collected a vast amount of seeds. Oddly, he wanted Queen seeds from my place, as well as any other palms seeds that were ripe. After visiting N. Calif. he went to S. Calif. for more seeds. He had already packed most of the seeds, and while his car was parked on the street outside his hotel, someone broke in a stole all the seeds, probably thinking it was dope.

Not to be detured, Kampong went back to Florida, then back to N. Calif. and my place and collected more seeds, then to S. Calif again. He told me about the theft on his 2nd visit.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Cambodgeoctobre20061611.jpg

Hi Bruno, thanks for sharing all the wonderful photos!

Anyone knows which are these palms? They are very cool.

Regards,

Luis Diego.

You may be looking at the Dwarf Betel Nut (Areca catechu).

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

those are amazing palms! :yay:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

thanks for taking the time to relate that great story about kampong,dick!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Thanks Bruno,

Also thanks to others for the informative additions. I must have a closer look at my Piggies now. I know they are white and spiny everywhere.

First chance I had to check this thread.

Awesome garden and a MUST visit some day.

Pity about the pedantic complaints involved in this thread though.

After all we are all here for enjoyment, not policing.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).