IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pics from Nong Nooch

bruno

Are the blue/white palms featured in posts 16 & 17 Copernicia hospita?

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Wal,

I talked extensively with Anders Lindström during the CR Biennial. Anders is in charge of the botanical garden at Nong Nooch (there's also a nursery area and a cultural center that's part of Nong Nooch), and he mentioned that there are 2000 (two thousand!) workers at Nong Nooch. Presumably that's for the entire operation. Still, very impressive, and no doubt sufficient to keep the place immaculate!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Sorry again folks, I will not keep on posting here for quite a while.

I have really been put off by Wal's rude words towards the board and, at the same time, towards me. I am sure other words can be used in order to play the police around people who are on this forum mostly out of enjoyment and fun.

à bientôt. bruno

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Bruno,

Please reconsider.

Don't let one individual, who has since apoligized ( SEE HERE ), keep your valued pics and info from the rest of us.

Sometimes, especially so in the written language, the sensibilities of differing nationalities and customs are taken in a manner unintended. Knowing Wal, I am sure this is one of those times when the bluntness of the Aussie way may have been misinterpreted. I didn't take Wal's remarks personally, and I don't think you should either.

Please everyone, if you wish to comment, do so away from this thread ( HERE ) so hopefully Bruno will pick this topic up again in the near future.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I am moving any posts that don't comply with my request above. Let me repeat:

Please everyone, if you wish to comment (other than about Nong Nooch), do so away from this thread ( HERE ), so hopefully Bruno will pick this topic up again in the near future.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

After all this fuss I raised, sorry again, i will take Dean's words to take me out of this!

"Sometimes, especially so in the written language, the sensibilities of differing nationalities and customs are taken in a manner unintended."

Wal, I'll take your bat...

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Bruno, thank you for sharing your visit to Nong Nooch.It is an incredible place and I enjoy seeing the photos.I have looked at this thread several times.I hope to visit this garden one day.

Do you know if the Nong Nooch area has a dry season?

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

After all this fuss I raised, sorry again, i will take Dean's words to take me out of this!

"Sometimes, especially so in the written language, the sensibilities of differing nationalities and customs are taken in a manner unintended."

Wal, I'll take your bat...

Excellent Bruno, very noble in character (that's both of us I'm talking about :lol: ) now let's get straight back on track with some photos, do you have any more there or at least further comments on Nong Nooch generally ?, this is very important towards the future biennial interests for people.

much appreciated return, you can join our ratpack outings anytime, but you have to share the driving.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Sorry for disrupting the discussions. I hesitated as to where should I put that topic. But then I read: "general interest".

Isn't it general interest?

OK, from now on, I'll put all my trips around Madagascar in travelog section, because I live in an "exotic place".

Just like Australia, Brazil, California or Florida are for me, "exotic places".

Hi Guys

Bruno what great pic's you posted for all to see,What a lovely place Kampon has there

a place anyone would love to travel to, some of those one's your not sure sure on you

could always post on the "Discussing palms" for others to try and I.D.

Or if there new finds like Bills where that would be the same place to post them.

Hey Bill how about some more photo's.

Regards to All...

:rolleyes: Mikey

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

By the way, those grey blue palms that I love, is it possible to find seeds somewhere? I'd love to have some in my garden here in Tana.

I'll post a few more of that colour.

Cambodgeoctobre20061441.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Dear Bruno :)

it seems that we both share the same passion,that is to collect palms that is very different than the regular looking ones...to the best of my knowledge goes it is Copernicia hospita...and its seeds are avaliable from www.rps.com.

i have tried 10 seeds from their's, 2 has germinated and rest is sleeping..and i must say its very slow growers.

here is a still of it from the seed dealer site..

The Link !

And i must tell you that your coverage is mind blowing fentastic....keep them comming,since its been a long time i feasted since my marriage celeberation... :drool::winkie: And i must tell you that the visual-man(me) very happy now ! :hmm::lol:

thanks & love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks Kris, if you're happy, i'm happy too. And thanks for the link to rps.

Here is another marvel, very close to the copernicia. What is it again, I'd love one here, and look at it from the top.

Cambodgeoctobre20061531.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

wonderful pix! c.renda seem to be a bit white on the undersides of the leaflets,do you find that to be true?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

That's Copernicia macroglossa Bruno and that specimen looks in absolute perfect condition. One of nature's truly great designs for sure.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I hope they will grow a bit faster though.... Copernicia macroglossa just a bit TOO SLOW for me :angry: .

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I f it is slow in Darwin, I'll be dead before it is nice here in Tana where winter night temperatures are between 7/8°C!

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Here is a group that was somewhat separated from the rest of the garden. Are they rare?

Cambodgeoctobre20061581.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

By the way, those grey blue palms that I love, is it possible to find seeds somewhere? I'd love to have some in my garden here in Tana.

I'll post a few more of that colour.

Cambodgeoctobre20061441.jpg

The palms are quite magnificent indeed.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Does any of you have a large becariophoenix like this in his garden?

Cambodgeoctobre20061691.jpg

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Bruno,

Thanks a lot for the additional photos! Can't get enough of photos from Nong Nooch! I was particularly interested in your photos of the Dypsis bijouf (also referred to as sp. bejofa). It seemed to be somewhat hidden away behind that building. Did you see more than one of these palms? Any of them fruiting?

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Does any of you have a large becariophoenix like this in his garden?

Cambodgeoctobre20061691.jpg

Bruno,

Yes to your question, but bigger. :)

But I love the Dwarf Areca catechu's in post #62. This palm ranks in the top 10 list I think for me. I just can't look at these enough. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bo, I think there were three of them but not sure.

No more pics of Nong Nooch. More Next time when we meet there.

I said also pics from Bangkok, flowers and plants in so many streets and houses and balconies. I was amazed at the love thais have for plants.

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Isn't that a Lodoicea maldivica near the temple ?

Fabulos photos Bruno, those dwarf catechus, holy smoke and the Piggies and variegated foxy ladies and etc etc. This place is calling me, mmm, biennial 2012 ?

Cambodgeoctobre20061601.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Fabulous garden, marvelous pictures. I loved the large compact catechus and the blue cyrtostachys. I wish to try some!!!

Carlo

I thought this was fun and humorous.

Cambodgeoctobre20061661.jpg

Cambodgeoctobre20061671.jpg

Hi Bruno, the palm picture in this post is infact neither D. bejofo or D.'sp' bejofa as

for the the spelling D . 'sp' bijouf there has been only one person selling the plants

under this name, Michael Ferrero the last curutor of Palms and flowering trees

at N.Nooch for 10 years must have brought plants from Bill Beattie awhile

back. In my View these plants are in fact what came in as D. tsaratananensis

the one with the white petiole, menitioned in an earlier thread, It is funny and like yourself

I find this Humorous indeed that this palm pictured has that name attached

maybe Bill might be able to fill us in how this got mixed up.

Regards Mikey..... :)

Edited by calyptrocalyx&licuala freck

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Mikey,

I respect your opinion a lot, but in this case I have to disagree 100% with your conclusion. The palm pictured above as "bijouf" is in fact identical to the one that was sold here in Hawaii as D. bejofo (but is not), and that we now refer to as Dypsis sp. bejofa. I have more than 30 of them in the ground, and I can say with very close to 100% certainty (not often I can do that with Dypsis.... :)) that the "bijouf" above is definitely the same as my "bejofa". The one sold as D. tsaratananensis (now referred to as Dypsis sp. white, or the White Dypsis) has a very white new spike, and does not hold nearly as many fronds as the bejofa. The "bijouf" above certainly does not have the white new spike that's typical of Dypsis sp. white.

Bo-Göran

PS - in order not to get sidetracked any further and also for the benefit of all those who may not have looked here, I'm starting a new thread in Discussing Palm Trees, with photos of both of these palms.

Hi Bo,

I'm keen to see those pictures, for the leaf, petiole and

crownshaft looks.

Cheers Bo,

Mikey

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Hurry up Bo..... I'm waiting.... :huh:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Any guesses as to what post #66, pic 1 is of? Those are amazing palms too.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Any guesses as to what post #66, pic 1 is of? Those are amazing palms too.

I'm with you Len.

Those are awesome. Talk about white petioles, and not holding a lot of fronds??? Trunks look a little "dypsisey" as well. If they weren't so large and the Dypsis "white" wasn't so slow........................

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes