IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dave's Garden

DoomsDave

Another distant shot

post-208-1213591251_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Gazing reverently up into the crown . . . . .

post-208-1213591298_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Infructescences.

I've sent seed to various places.

Want some?

post-208-1213591354_thumb.jpg

Here's the base of the trunk, with the big bite taken out of it.

It's had that since I planted it back on July 3, 2003.

Note how it's healing! I didn't think it would, but it's nice to be wrong sometimes . . . .

post-208-1213591422_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Portrait of a purpurea, Archontophoenix, that is. . . .

post-208-1213591511_thumb.jpg

New spear, and my hand.

post-208-1213591609_thumb.jpg

AHEM!

:huh:

That previous pic was the base, with the Shoe for scale.

Here's the new spear . . . .

post-208-1213591689_thumb.jpg

Arenga!

engleri!

post-208-1213591741_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Another baby tuckeri, part of my incipient canopy, not a baby anymore.

post-208-1213591786_thumb.jpg

Same palm, with the Shoe for scale . . ..

post-208-1213591833_thumb.jpg

Fakey

Ahem . . . .

But don't break my heart, my fakey-achey heart . . .

post-208-1213591916_thumb.jpg

Cyphophoenix . . .?

post-208-1213592004_thumb.jpg

Chamadorea stolonifera.

post-208-1213592098_thumb.jpg

This is the same Mondo Fetisho A. tuckeri as in the earlier picture with Palmazon in it.

Swoon . . . . .

post-208-1213592153_thumb.jpg

This is the same palm's trunk with the Shoe for scale.

This was just a sad little five-gallon four years ago.

LOTS of water makes these grow so fast . . . .

post-208-1213592232_thumb.jpg

Copping a feel on that gorgeous crownshaft, with my sweaty, shaking hand . . . .. .

:drool:

Everyone who's seen it wants one. Floribunda has babies, which are worth waiting (not very long!) to grow.

Remember water water water water water water . . . . .

post-208-1213592371_thumb.jpg

Chamadorea cordoba

post-208-1213592531_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Same palm, note the Racing Stripe on the rachis.

Otherwise, very similar to C. elegans.

post-208-1213592575_thumb.jpg

Rock on Dave-O!! Those fakey's are sweet!!

• Upvote 1

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Dear Dave :)

thanks for the lovely tour of your property...and the palms are impressive ! is their any CIDP growing in your property ? if so can you post a still of that ?

thanks & love,

Kris :)

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Fab collection you have there, Dave. I wouldn't be singing the Blues with a garden like that. Your garden doth rock!

• Upvote 1

Great to see your place Dave. Your trees look like they are quite at home there.

dk

• Upvote 1

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Wow Dave! How big is your garden? You seem to have limitless space with all the palms you are posting. Also how many varieties do you have in your collection. Thanks for all the pics.

Ron

• Upvote 1

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Nice update on your palms, Dave.

I had the distinct pleasure of visiting Dave's extensive garden after the May PSSC meeting. While the photos show the palms nicely, it's nothing compared to seeing them in person. That handsome, common king is so excessively robust, it demonstrates the full potential of the species. (Sigh) If people would just water their street palms, they'd look so much healthier, I think there is an assumption that they are drought tolerant. Tolerant and looking good do not mean the same thing! I digress...

My favorite part of his garden is the shady Enchanted Chambeyronia Forest. Maybe that's in Part II.

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Wow Dave! How big is your garden? You seem to have limitless space with all the palms you are posting. Also how many varieties do you have in your collection. Thanks for all the pics.

Ron

It's half an acre (2,034 square M)

Quite a bit of room.

Only the surface of the tip of the iceberg has been scratched . . . .

Nice to get a peek of your garden. Quite a collection you have there. I see tha BS isn't the only one with a weed plantation along with his palms. :P:lol:

At least yours are on the ground ;)

• Upvote 1

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Nice to get a peek of your garden. Quite a collection you have there. I see tha BS isn't the only one with a weed plantation along with his palms. :P:lol:

At least yours are on the ground ;)

Some of my best looking palms started out as weeds! :D

Dave, I missed the Archontophoenix cunninghamiana before. What a great looking palm. I know they may be common but the landscape effect of a King is hard to beat. I love Royals for that reason too, but if they are not fed and watered properly throughout their lives they can get really funky looking trunks. Kings seem to always look great from seedling to mature tree.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

• 12 years later...

Oh way back when

32 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Oh way back when

Nice to see what the big boys looked like 12 years ago back when there was space between the palms and you could actually see the street from your garden!  Thanks for the reboot 'Dave from So-Cal'!

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder