IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rio de Janeiro, Jardim Botânico

Gileno Machado

that was a Corypha blooming from 2001

heres another the circle there from a few years backe

post-562-1214449354_thumb.jpg

Thaks for your photos Ed. It is great to see how the gardens were, a few years ago.

I haven't had much time lately to post the rest of the pictures I took in the Jardim Botânico, other places in Rio and SP (too much work and short trips lately) but I'll try to upload them soon.

Best regards.

Here's a photo taken from the Hotel we stayed, in Ipanema beach, a 10 minutes drive from the Botanic Gardens:

post-157-1214664698_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Keep in touch... you might start a thread on Parque Flameco ( pardon my spellling ) I have afew pictures of that.

In MG , my memories are bad and I was disoriented as I dont speak Portugues but I flew into Confins or Pampulas (ther are 2 aeropuertos in Belohorizonte) and drove to Diamintina through Seto Lagos and Curvelo--- I went thorugh this area called Cero and a national park there. I saw several species there. I had a map but dont have a good orientation to help you unfortunately.

I will try to scan some of the SA directions I got from the South African Journeys there. I went6 there in 91, 97 and 2001. They went there a few weeks after me in 91 -- but they were multilingual and had weeks to spend I ahd to do the best I couuld in a few weeks I had offf of work ... It took me 3 trips to begin to see what they had seen.

I saw many species of Syagrus S. picophylla, S. glaucescens, S. macrocarpa S. oleracea, S. flexuosa , S. duartei, S. pleiocada S. romansoznffianum as wll as many Acrocomias Butia arfcheri and tree ferns. I want to go back in some time to get to Bahia and see some other palms as well as southern Brasil to see the Butias.

Good to hear from you and keep posting ... Photos are lovely and document one of the prettiest gardens in one of the prettiest places I have been to. I will try to locate you some cycas seeds etc to post when they are ready.

Best wishes,

Ed

• 6 years later...

Bactris setosa with Liana; Acanthophoenix rubra; magnificent Corypha umbraculifera in flower:

Hi Gileno, I adjusted the settings on your photo, and entered it in Palmpedia, thought you might like it back, Ed

post-3109-0-55838400-1416397981_thumb.jp

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif