IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Place which has the warmest year round night time lows

cagary

Which area of the world has the highest year round low temperatures? I saw the post by Kris about his Cyrtostachys renda problem in which he described his night time lows as being between 77 and 82 degrees, in other words Cyrtostachys renda heaven.

The long summers were brutal during the 7 years I spent in Taiwan (without A/C) when months would go by where we wouldn't even see the temperature drop into the 70's. We would wake up in the early morning and it would already be over 80 degrees (28 C.) and the sun wouldn't even have risen yet.

Are there places on the planet where low temperatures are like this year round?

Gary,

I havn't looked at any stats, but my guess would be any place that's right on, or very close, to the equator. Singapore is the largest city that's real close to the equator. Other places would be Belem and the mouth of the Amazon River, Libreville in Gabon and Mombasa in Kenya as well as a few coastal places on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

There is a town in Kalimantan (the Indonesian side of Borneo) that is right on the equator. It gets pretty steamy at night there.

I grew up in the equatorial tropics, and we didn't get much relief from heat at night...but everything grows so well. Besides, Java (where I grew up) has one of the best soil in the world... you put seeds in the ground, and you just watch it grow literally. When I have to do work to improve the soil here in Darwin, I remember how my dad gardens without any effort at all. Mulch.... what's that??? :angry:

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Our temperature is pretty much the same as Belem, PA at night right around 22 to 24 C. That is cold enough for me.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Our temperature is pretty much the same as Belem, PA at night right around 22 to 24 C. That is cold enough for me.

dk

In Weatherbase.com, I managed to find several towns/cities, in Indonesia, with an yearly average low of 79F / 26C.

But Ghana beats that, easily. Navrongo, Ghana 82F / 27C!

Edited by siafu

Algarve, Portugal

Zone 10.

Mediterranean Climate moderated by the Atlantic Ocean

With my AC on my normal overnight low is probably around 15 C.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Thanks everyone for your replies. I figured it must be near the equator. Too bad Navrongo only gets about 40 inches of rain annually. Tropical palms would grow great with those temperatures. The photos I saw of the area didn't show any palms or even many trees for that matter.

Interesting how being right on the equator (0°9'S) effects the temperatures in Quito, Ecuador. Their high temperature is virtually unchanged throughout the entire year and is only 66 degrees. Their average low is also quite uniform throughout the year, 50 degrees. I guess the altitude( 9223.0 ft) has something to do with it! I wonder how cool climate palm would grow there. Any palms native to that area?

Quito Temps:

http://www.weatherreports.com/Ecuador/Quito/averages.html

Gary,

The combination of latitude and elevation is interesting. For example, the village of Volcano here on the Big Island, is right around 4,000 ft elevation, and latitude here is 19 degrees North. It was interesting to visit San Jose, Costa Rica, a month ago for the Biennial. San Jose is at 10 degrees North and the elevation is roughly the same as Volcano here on the Big Island, about 3800 ft. In Volcano you don't see ANY palms, even though some can certainly be grown there (it'll drop into the 30s on a cold winter night). In most cases it's probably more a case of choice (people moving there like the feel which is almost like that of the Pacific Northwest). In San Jose, you saw all sorts of tropical palms used in the landscape, including fruiting Cocos nucifera. We are at 880 ft where we live, and this seems to be close to the upper elevation where coconut palms will fruit at this latitude. It would surprise me if there are fruiting ones much above 1000 ft.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dear Friends :)

seeing the topics in our FREEZE DAMAGE DATA

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showforum=13

I think iam really happy to be born in south india and also located very close to the sea hardly 2 /k.m.s from my house & place of work ! And i have never felt cool or cold even in our winters,but the problem is during our winters it rains heavily with our mansoon rains bringing in with it cycalones and all the wet soil trees become easy target for destruction but till this day i have never seen any palms aprooted...cocos nucifera,borassus,phoenix- sylversteris,carypta,royals,foxtails..etc never seen them fall till this day due to breeze or storm..but that is not the case with the dicots..

one can live without blazers,woolen blanckets,sweeters,water heaters in our climate...and thick clothing is not at all nescessory throughtout the year...and in the month of april to august the cycas,palms,mango trees all put out fruits ,flowers & new leaves in these very hot months..when temperatures reach 104 to 108 farenheat on average,it could reach even more at times..and due to coastal influence after 4 p.m in the evening mild cool breeze sets in and the house and buildings inside will be warm but the out atmosphere is very pleasent and if one is using Aircon in house,office or in the car can see huge misting of glasses after 6p.m since humitidy levels are preety high in the evenings...and people who walk sweat like hell.

And we do not have frost,or ice falling..so all the tropical plants grow fine.but few years back we had drought due to lack of rains but after the Tsunami attack 2 years back the water problem seems to have vanished without a trace...since its raining regularly now !

Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is Dubai.... arrived there at 3 am one time and it was 35 degrees C

Unbelievable.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

I've been wondering about Dubai. I have a friend there now who will be flying for Emeritis. He's really not a palm person, but I've asked him to look for palms there. All I've seen in pictures are date palms, but I'm sure there are many other palms that would grow there. Bismarkia comes to mind and maybe some of the desert Sabals and Braheas, and maybe some of the Livistonias.

There is lots of loose money and fancy cars in Dubai. An avenue of Bismarkias would sure look nice leading up to some palace or luxury hotel.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I looked up some climate data and Dubai is hotter at certain times of the year, but there is a greater swing in temperatures. I attached data for Dubai, Manaus, and Singapore. Manaus and Singapore are pretty much the same, although the percipitation is more consistant in Singapore. For average yearly night time highest low temperature I think that it would have to be the equatorial tropics. The one thing that never changes here where I live is the night time low, it is always pretty much the same.

dk

post-188-1214823334_thumb.png

post-188-1214823364_thumb.png

post-188-1214823501_thumb.png

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Here are a few more climate comparisons, Maldives, Hilo and Miami. Maldives is an equatorial climate and similar to Manaus and Singapore. One interesting thing about Manaus is the distance from the ocean, over 2,000 Kms. And the elevation at the airport is 74 meters above sea level, but the river is about 30 meters above sea level. In spite of this the average temperatures are about the same as those places at simliar latitudes at sea level.

dk

post-188-1214824942_thumb.png

post-188-1214824965_thumb.png

post-188-1214824988_thumb.png

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Here are a few more, Bangalore and Madras India, Abidjan Ivory Coast, and Bangkok. I wanted to put Bali here, but could not find it on the site. I could not remember what city Kris lives in. Kris is it Madras?

dk

post-188-1214826901_thumb.png

post-188-1214826940_thumb.png

post-188-1214826998_thumb.png

post-188-1214827272_thumb.png

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the graphs Don, really interesting. I had a friend who lived in Bangkok and I asked him what the temperature difference was between winter and summer, he said 'hot' and 'hotter.'

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I remember the last time this question came up on the old forum, we decided that you wouldn't get much hotter in terms of anuual minimum temperature than Singapore, but there are probably quite a few equatorial locations that share similar minimums.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

The hottest place on earth is located in interior Somalia or Ethiopia. I don't have the reference with me to check, but I think there's some uninhabited place with an average yearly temperature of 36 or 37 degrees (upper 90s F). By the way, that's not the average high temperature, it's the average daily temperature. Although not quite as hot, here's some data I found for Berbera, Somalia. By eye, it looks like the average low temperature for the year is in the upper 20's (low 80s F), which is quite a bit warmer than the 24-25C Don found for most equatorial cities.

post-74-1215614261_thumb.png

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

• 2 weeks later...
I've been wondering about Dubai. I have a friend there now who will be flying for Emeritis. He's really not a palm person, but I've asked him to look for palms there. All I've seen in pictures are date palms, but I'm sure there are many other palms that would grow there. Bismarkia comes to mind and maybe some of the desert Sabals and Braheas, and maybe some of the Livistonias.

There is lots of loose money and fancy cars in Dubai. An avenue of Bismarkias would sure look nice leading up to some palace or luxury hotel.

Dick

I was just in Dubai on vacation, and I saw coconuts all over the beach. Alot of them looked really sickly. The heat was absolutely unbearable. Daytime highs were about 40 - 42 C and humid.

We got up one morning at 6:00 A.M and it was 94 F.

Absolutely unbearable.

- Scott -

Littleton Colorado - Zone 6A.

Growing several Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and attempting a T-Fortunei.

I was under the impression that the area that is attributed as having the highest average annual temperature was The Fernando Po, but I believe that is an area of water somewhere in The Atlantic ocean. I'm remembering this from geography at age 9 or 10, so I suppose I should really double check that.

Edit: Having just looked it up, it is actually an Island, now called Bioko, which is in The Atlantic ocean off Equatorial Guinea.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Jack,

That looks like a terrible climate. I used to think that Manaus was a lot hotter than now do. I guess that is because I am used to place. I really enjoy our nights here A temperature of 22 to 24 C with humididy is quite comfortable. By the river it is really nice as there is normally a breeze.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I had a quick look online and it didn't turn up that much for the highest average daily minimum temperature.

However I did find that Fernando de Noronha, a small island at 03°54′S, 32°25′W about 360 km North East of Natal, Brazil, is said to have the smallest difference between record low and high temperatures in the world. Since 1911 it has not dropped below 17.7° C or gone above 32.2° C. It does have a distinct wet and dry season though.

By another measure Andagoya in Colombia has the most constant climate in the world, with the coolest month averaging 27.0 °C (80.6 °F) and the warmest month averaging 27.7 °C (81.9 °F). Every month of the year also receives on average more than 500 mm of rain.

"This near complete uniformity of temperature is caused by the fact that Andagoya, at a latitude of 5° 5' North, lies extremely close to the thermal equator, which is situated a few degrees north of the astronomical equator because the Earth reaches perihelion (its closest position to the Sun in its orbit) in early January and is at aphelion (furthest away) in early July, causing places located precisely at the equator to receive somewhat more insolation (i.e., light and heat energy from the sun) in January than in July even though the height of the sun and the length of days would be the same at both times. At a few degrees north latitude, however, the perihelion/aphelion factor and the slightly higher sun and longer days experienced at the time of the summer solstice for the Northern Hemisphere cancel each other out, making the level of insolation experienced there virtually identical throughout the year." - Wikipedia.

The world's highest average annual temperature at an inhabited place is said to be Dallol in Ethiopia that averaged 34.4 °C from 1960-66. Dallol is in the Danakil Desert in a depression 122 m below sea level. Photos of it don't show much in the way of vegetation!