IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free to a good home

NorCalWill

I want to give up my Bismarkia nobilis.

I've got it in the back of my truck right now and I'm driving down to So Cal in the morning.

I've had it for 8 years and look what I've done to it...

It needs to live in So. Cal.

If anyone is interested e-mail me at wba31@yahoo.com.

I will be checking my e-mail from my phone, and may not be able to answer all messages, so if you don't hear back from me, assume it's no longer available.

I'd like this to be as simple as possible, and not have to drive all over the countryside. My furthest destination is North San Diego County (Fallbrook area)

I had to remove it from the wooden box and wrap it up in a tarp, otherwise I couldn't have gotten it into my truck alone.

No roots were damaged in the process, it should be fine, but needs to be planted or repotted immediately.

This palm was incredible when I bought it (for $300), and if you look closely at the picture, you can see a tiny leaf trying to push upward (I know the plants is alive because this new leaf is blue-green). I had this palm in a container on my deck in a protected spot, but it just couldn't handle our Winter cold and all of the leaves just shriveled up.

I tried posting this in the new "palm exchange" category, but it wouldn't let me.

-peace

Will

post-332-1213164014_thumb.jpg

Edited by Will

sent you an email never heard back?... always up for a good CHALLENGE! that little guy still has potential!

palmfreek

I met up with Will (a very nice guy) yesterday and potted that baby up in a 24" box. It looks like the spear is pushing and for free, what do I have to lose but a few minutes of time? I'll post some photos of it if it survives.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Hey Dave,

Thank you so much for the advice on nurseries in the Fallbrook area. I had a GREAT time! Made it out to Las Palmas where I picked up a 24" boxed Brahea armata, Multiflora for a Caryota himalayana, Livistonia meriae and Phoenix dactylifera. All of this plus the Sabal bermudana from Andersen's nursery made for an interesting drive home with tarps flapping in the wind.

Good luck with the Bismarkia, I really hope it comes back quickly for you. I think you will have it looking amazing again. I saw how well you take care of the rest of your collection and I really feel good about you having it. You definately know what you are doing. Good luck, and I'd like to keep in touch periodically, you are a great source of info.

-Will

To palmfreek, sorry I didn't get back to you. Dave's e-mail was the first one I got, and then the battery on my Treo died and I couldn't respond to anyone ( I don't have a car charger for it) anyway, If I run across another challenging palm for you I'll let you know.

Edited by Will

Good deal Will! I'm glad you made it those places and it sounds like you got some great deals on some palms that should do well at your place. You even found your Dactylifera, SWEEET!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

• 2 weeks later...

update, palm is most likely a gonner :(

I pulled the spear out over the weekend and poured some Hydrogen peroxide down in the crown so we'll see what happens. Most likely nothing but I've seen over palms come back from this before so who knows.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

• 3 weeks later...

Thats a great steal. It looks like a little TLC and it will come back.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?