IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia yatay

Dear Alberto :)

lovely stills and i have a question ? is it coustomery to paint the base of the trunks of huge palm trees to protect them from termites and rot ? since in you still and stills from few members i have seen this...

thanks & love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Jose,

Thanks for the detailed pictures of B. yata and your translations. With the Spanish forum, I was afraid we English speaking people would miss a lot of good information in this forum, however the pictures tell a lot.

After seeing your photographs I'm convinced that a Butia I've been growing for years really is B. yata as it matches your photographs perfectly. We were in some doubt about what my Butia was. Thanks again.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Jose,

Thanks for the detailed pictures of B. yata and your translations. With the Spanish forum, I was afraid we English speaking people would miss a lot of good information in this forum, however the pictures tell a lot.

After seeing your photographs I'm convinced that a Butia I've been growing for years really is B. yata as it matches your photographs perfectly. We were in some doubt about what my Butia was. Thanks again.

Dick

Dick:

I am happy that my pictures serve you to identify the Butia that you are growing in your garden

If you need some information or image, please tell me

And please, make an efort for write in Spanish

Regards

Jose

Dick:

estoy contento de que mis imagen le hayan servido para identificar su Butia

Si Ud necesita mas imformacion o imagenes , digamelo

Y por favor, haga un esfuerzo y escriba en Español

Saludos Jose

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

Adoro Butia yatay. Deseo algunas semillas. ¿Sabe cualquiera en algún lugar en Estados Unidos que podría conseguir algunos de? Perdone mi español, es muy malo. Gracias!

I love Butia yatay. I really want some seeds. Does anyone know somewhere in the United States I could get some from? Pardon my spanish, it is very bad. Thanks!

Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Adoro Butia yatay. Deseo algunas semillas. ¿Sabe cualquiera en algún lugar en Estados Unidos que podría conseguir algunos de? Perdone mi español, es muy malo. Gracias!

I love Butia yatay. I really want some seeds. Does anyone know somewhere in the United States I could get some from? Pardon my spanish, it is very bad. Thanks!

Krishna

Dear Krishna:

I think, the B. yatay seed are very common and easy to find in Florida.

If you didn't find, tell me and I send you in the next season by mail

Thank you to write in Spanish

Regards

Estimado Krishna:

Yo pienso que las semillas de B yatay son muy comunes y facil de conseguir en Florida

Si no las puede conseguir , degamelo y yo se las envio por correo

Gracias por escribir en Español

Saludos

Visit my site

And comment me

lovely stills and i have a question ? is it coustomery to paint the base of the trunks of huge palm trees to protect them from termites and rot ? since in you still and stills from few members i have seen this...

thanks & love,

Dear Kris

Seeing that Alberto doesn't respond your question, I do it

Yes, it is to people's habit that lives in the field, to paint the trunks of trees and palms with lime (calcium hydroxide) (Ca (OH) 2) with the purpose of avoiding the ants and other insects and also with ornamental ends

Regard

Estimado Kris:

Viendo que Alberto no le responde , lo hago yo

Si, es una costumbre de la gente de campo pintar los troncos de arboles y palmeras con cal, (hidroxido de calcio) con la finalidad de evitar hormigas y otros insectos y tambien con fines ornamentales

Saludos

Visit my site

And comment me

Dear Jose :)

thanks for the explaination and for your time !

lots of love to you,

Esto era también muy popular en Luisiana durante mi juventud. Lo veo raramente más.

This was aslo very popular in Louisiana during my youth. I rarely see it anymore.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

thanks & love,

Dear Kris

Seeing that Alberto doesn't respond your question, I do it

Yes, it is to people's habit that lives in the field, to paint the trunks of trees and palms with lime (calcium hydroxide) (Ca (OH) 2) with the purpose of avoiding the ants and other insects and also with ornamental ends

Regard

Estimado Kris:

Viendo que Alberto no le responde , lo hago yo

Si, es una costumbre de la gente de campo pintar los troncos de arboles y palmeras con cal, (hidroxido de calcio) con la finalidad de evitar hormigas y otros insectos y tambien con fines ornamentales

Saludos

Sorry Kris,I didn´t saw your question to me!

I can see that in argentina and also in brazil they paint the base of trees with lime. I think it looks awfull!

Desculpa-me Kris! Yo não vi sua pregunta direccionada a mim!

Yo vejo que na Agentina bem com no Brasil eles pintam las bases de arboles con cal. É muy feio!!

Edited by Alberto

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Dear Alberto & Dear Keith :)

Thanks for the info,even i was planning to get our dicot trees & phoenix sylversteris painted in that fashion.... :)

And Alberto no sorry required_Please....! :winkie: All in the family,so no formalities required at all... :)

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 10 months later...

Continuo este tema para mostrar a Uds algunas diferencias que suelen presentarse en las inflorescencias e infrutescencias y que a veces dificultan la identificacion entre B. yatay y B. capitata

Now, I show to you some different flowers and fruits that it sometimes presents this species. This hinders the identification between B yatay and B capitata

Diferentes formas y colores de frutos

Different forms and colors of fruits

Tipica forma y color de frutos maduros

Typical form & color of ripe fruits

post-1464-1242007589_thumb.jpg

La misma forma pero color rojizo

Equal forms but reddish color

post-1464-1242007729_thumb.jpg post-1464-1242007765_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1242007801_thumb.jpg post-1464-1242007832_thumb.jpg

Color amarillento pero forma redondeada y pequeño tamaño

Yellowish color but form rounded and small size

post-1464-1242008186_thumb.jpg post-1464-1242008204_thumb.jpg

Visit my site

And comment me

Algunas veces las semillas de B yatay tienen dos camaras, cada una con endosperma y un enbrion. Esto da origen a germinaciones multiples. Aunque no siempre se desarrollan ambos germenes

Sometimes, the seeds of B yatay have two cameras, each one with endosperm and an embryo. This gives origin to multiple germinations. Although both embryos are not always developed

Las dos camaras Two cameras

post-1464-1242527110_thumb.jpg

Derecha Right

post-1464-1242527227_thumb.jpg

Izquierda Left

post-1464-1242527236_thumb.jpg

Visit my site

And comment me

Cuando germinan ambos embriones se produce lo que pueden ver a continuacion.

No se si llamarla "palma doble " o "dos palmas" . " Mellizas o gemelas " :unsure:

When both embryos germinate, you can see this….

I do not know if to call it “double palm or two palms"

post-1464-1242528541_thumb.jpg post-1464-1242528580_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1242528605_thumb.jpg post-1464-1242528633_thumb.jpg

Visit my site

And comment me

Cuando germinan ambos embriones se produce lo que pueden ver a continuacion.

No se si llamarla "palma doble " o "dos palmas" . " Mellizas o gemelas " :unsure:

When both embryos germinate, you can see this….

I do not know if to call it “double palm or two palms"

post-1464-1242528541_thumb.jpg post-1464-1242528580_thumb.jpg

post-1464-1242528605_thumb.jpg post-1464-1242528633_thumb.jpg

Pindo, ¿llegan a prosperar los dos plántines? ¿tienes alguna foto de dos ejemplares adultos obtenidos de una sola semilla?

Gracias por las fotos

Datos del aeropuerto de Gando. Vivo a 1 Km

60030.gif

Visita el blog: PALMETUM DE MASPALOMAS

Migacebo:

Hasta ahora nunca pude hacer prosperar ambos plantines. Siempre hay uno que se impone.

Lo que si he hecho es separarlos y cultivarlos por separado.

Suerte

Visit my site

And comment me

• 1 month later...
Migacebo:

Hasta ahora nunca pude hacer prosperar ambos plantines. Siempre hay uno que se impone.

Suerte

Hola Pindo,

Interesante post, muchas gracias por ilustrarnos.

Yo tengo una duda, aunque no hayas conseguido que prosperen los dos plantines, es posible conseguirlo? En teoria deberia ser viable, ya que cada uno de ellos es independiente, no?

Saludos

Migacebo:

Suerte

Hola Pindo,

Interesante post, muchas gracias por ilustrarnos.

Yo tengo una duda, aunque no hayas conseguido que prosperen los dos plantines, es posible conseguirlo? En teoria deberia ser viable, ya que cada uno de ellos es independiente, no?

Saludos

Efectivamente Juan.

Siendo embriones separados y cada uno con su propio endosperma, tendrian que poder, en teoria, desarrollarse ambos.

En la practica, ignoro por que motivos ha prosperado siempre uno solamente

saludos

Visit my site

And comment me

• 1 month later...

Hola a todos y en especial a Pindo que siempre es un placer leerle.

En relación a los excelentes comentarios que he leido sobre la doble germinación de las semillas de butia yatay me gustaría hacer una pequeña aportación.

Esta tarde he mirado la bolsa de germinaciones de semillas de butia yatay que están en bolsas cerradas con humedad de ralladura de coco y me he encontrado siete nuevas germinaciones. Entre ellas destaca esta que os pongo en unas fotos.

post-1436-1250356831_thumb.jpg

post-1436-1250356643_thumb.jpg

Un saludo a todos desde la Feria de Málaga

José

José Delonix

El Jardín Botánico de la Concepción de Málaga es uno de los más bellos jardines tropicales de Europa. Os animo a conocerlo.