IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dysis White Stem (the monster one)

BS Man about Palms

Ha-Ha I know better, plus, I went on hands and knees thru his nursery and house..

So in other words, you were never invited to the "secret" shade house at Pop's? blink.gif

Oops, I should not have said that..... unsure.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...

For several that came to Mardy's place yesterday, but couldn't get in the poolhouse (250+ people) Heres some update shots.

post-27-12794618287715_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

More..

post-27-12794619960166_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Found! Mardy has another! :)

post-27-1279462340822_thumb.jpg

Bill, there are two of them in the greenhouse, the one you photographed is the one that is struggling, did you see the other one in the 15 gallon size against the wall? it is a really nice one.

Gary

Found! Mardy has another! :)

post-27-1279462340822_thumb.jpg

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

• 3 weeks later...

Bill, there are two of them in the greenhouse, the one you photographed is the one that is struggling, did you see the other one in the 15 gallon size against the wall? it is a really nice one.

Gary

So, last weekend I saw the 4th and final one Mardy has... Looks very nice.

post-27-12808997948097_thumb.jpg

post-27-12808998711346_thumb.jpg

Wow, four of them! Hmm, supply, demand -- does this mean the price is coming down? :mrlooney:

Just kidding, enjoyed seeing the additional photos. Did you have a hard time getting the whole palm in the frame? How tall are those fronds?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim that last one is in a 15 gal pot. So I think the fronds are about 5' at the longest. Good size.

• 1 year later...

It is a little boring around here so I am going to stir the pot. I heard someone mention they think this palm is Dypsis robusta. After looking at the pictures I have to agree it looks a lot like one to me. Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

I see regular fairly wide leaflets, brown and white tomentum starting to show on the crownshaft. The name white stem matches robusta which has a white spear. It is also slow growing, marginal in CA and looks to be a large palm. All these traits are the same as robusta.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Funny, was just looking at and touching the only one north of San Diego County only hours ago. I have to reserve judgement. It would be neat if thats the case, because that would mean it would not be extinct, but many (if not all) who have heard this theory and see the type robusta, once they see Mardys in person again, have second thoughts... :blink:

Nothing too impressive to show. This is the only D. robusta I have in the ground so far. Leaflets seem to be somewhat wider than on the ones above.

post-22-044836400 1316997613_thumb.jpg

post-22-011077100 1316997620_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks for that Bo. First thing I notice is the lower leaves don't point backwardsto the base like all the white stems I have seen here.

Bill,

After viewing and owning several "White Stem' individuals, I concur.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I heard that Mardy Darian was one of those "people" who went to Madagascar and cut down large rare specimens just to get the seed. Can anyone refute this heinous allegation, or should this man have a proper reputaion as an unscrupulous butcher/poacher?

Is that a question?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I heard that Mardy Darian was one of those "people" who went to Madagascar and cut down large rare specimens just to get the seed. Can anyone refute this heinous allegation, or should this man have a proper reputaion as an unscrupulous butcher/poacher?

Not worth the effort. The morons who spread these childish, stupid rumors are just that - MORONS.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

It's a rumor; it is not true. People see a photograph and jump to conclusions, partly based on their dislike of a person. Then the allegation gets repeated online again and again, spreading a twisted story again and again, with no regard for the person's reputation. That's irresponsible. Put the rumor to rest. Mardy Darian may be a lot of things, but he is not an "unscrupulous butcher".

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Not worth the effort. The morons who spread these childish, stupid rumors are just that - MORONS.

I hope we are both in agreement, that I was just getting to the bottom of something--not spreading anything.

For the record, I didn't hear this from someone "stupid"(those kinda people don't get my ear). Kim, I have never seen any photos of a Mardy Darian--couldn't tell you what he looks like or even what he is a doctor in! I just heard what I heard and was taken back by it.

I have a D robusta about the size of Bo's (maybe a tad smaller) and I've seen several "white stems" including some not much bigger than my robusta. As a younger plant they don't even look very similar to me. D prestoniana goes through a phase that looks much closer to "white stem" than robusta from what I've seen.

Also, I believe that according to Mardy, "white stem" is not a massive palm.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I hope we are both in agreement, that I was just getting to the bottom of something--not spreading anything.

For the record, I didn't hear this from someone "stupid"(those kinda people don't get my ear). Kim, I have never seen any photos of a Mardy Darian--couldn't tell you what he looks like or even what he is a doctor in! I just heard what I heard and was taken back by it.

These non-"stupid" people you speak of. Where they with Mardy when he cut down the tree and can cofirm the EXACT circumstances? Or did they get confirmation from one of the many guides Mardy used over the years? Some of which are now household names in the palm world and some even have plants named after them. Did any of those people tell this person the story? Or was it some moron that heard it from another and decided to spread it around?

It doesn't surprise me people still spread rumors about Mardy. This hobby is loaded with man boys. Men that will eat dinner at your house one day and steal palm trees from under your nose the next just to have something you don't. It is loaded with guys that are so jealous about other people's gardens they like to sit around and talk behind backs like catty woman but end statements with "but he is a nice guy". What's worse is it is loaded with ego maniacs that hate the fact someone did something before them and get more credit. These people like to make things up to sooth their ego. These are usually the same guys that are more worried about planting one more rare palm then the other guy then actually appreciating what this hobby is about.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I could fill a book with rumors I have been feed behind the scenes about many of you here.

And I find it curious that most of them in some way, shape, or form, come from people who have something to gain from the demise or besmirching of the target. And if the rumor does not originate from direct professional or financial competition, it is often the result of petty personal issues, or perpetuated by those individuals who just enjoy spreading juicy gossip.

And because Mardy is somewhat of a legend, and is controversial on many levels, he gets hit with more criticism and rumors than any other palm person I know.

So I would encourage everyone to ignore unsubstantiated rumors, especially those with a mean spirited mission. And instead base your opinions on personal experience only. And that would apply to rumors about your Moderator as well. :)

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I heard that the Palm Mod once ran a bus load off puppies off the road while chasing a nun...but hes a nice guy... :D

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

:floor: The entire bus was full of puppies, even the driver. Was that really the Mods fault? How qualified do you think that pupply driver was? Come on. His do-claws might have got tangled up in the lamb's fur steering wheel cover. You can't go blaming the Mod for that.

post-126-083873800 1317077003_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

thats an unfair stereotype that puppies are bad drivers...havent you ever seen one parallel bark!

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I guess I'm to blame for veering off topic a bit. I'm warning myself. :)

I think we should all pay attention to the note on the bottom of the Mods posts and forget the rumors and innuendos, but not the puppies :lol:

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Matt,

That's a real cute picture! But no seatbelt!? :huh: And presumably he (she?) is on cruise control! :mrlooney:

Dean,

I can imagine that would (will?) be quite the book! :lol:

Bo-Göran

I guess we're still off topic....

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I can't believe Mardy is even a little bit like the stories some mud slingers throw at him. How can someone be passionate about conservation, and then a forest wrecker on the other hand. I know where the palm cutting down rumour started, and it was a picture posted here some time back of a Dypsis ambositrae that he and a colleague asked the locals to find seed from which they would pick up on the way back through. The locals misinterpreted their broken Malagasy and they cut the palm down to bring to him. It was photographed and posted then everyone started throwing mud at Mardy. They never even got seed. Where's the gain in that for him? Everybody lost.

As Dean said he's very prominent in the palm community (though a very private eccentric guy) and so he's the one most hit by the mud slingers. Unfortunately mud leaves stains even if it's total lies.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

is it possible there are other forms? i bought two 8 gallon size, at a bazaar in maroantsetra, madagascar three years ago. i doubt it's this rare 'white stem' so what else could they be? the white powder is strikingly bright. i have both planted in-ground in the caribbean.

I started this thread and it it has veered substantially off course.

Of which I approve be cause I'm a nice guy... I think. Just ask me. :)

I started this thread and it it has veered substantially off course.

Of which I approve be cause I'm a nice guy... I think. Just ask me. :)

Bill we are only allowed to talk About you behind you back....so..... Wow this is awkward...

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Jubaeajoe, we'd love to see a pic of your white stem. If it's not the same maybe someone can id it for you.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Palmtalk is awesome--Thanks, everyone for clearing and cleaning everything up! Tyrone, thanks for the explanation. Palm mod, we always appreciate the direction you give! :)

Gossip can be very destructive to the reputation of innocent people. And make no mistake, people read it that wont read the retraction. Or alternately, people will read it that won't entirely believe the retraction. I hope there is a lesson to be learned here. Gossip (=unsupported allegations) should not be spread around in public. It is possible to investigate("get to the bottom of something") without going public.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Gossip can be very destructive to the reputation of innocent people. And make no mistake, people read it that wont read the retraction. Or alternately, people will read it that won't entirely believe the retraction. I hope there is a lesson to be learned here. Gossip (=unsupported allegations) should not be spread around in public. It is possible to investigate("get to the bottom of something") without going public.

Tom, I don't need a lecture on rumors and STOP trying to make it like I am spreading anything--I asked a question. I even gave some information as to why I asked the question--are we really shunning someone for the pursuit of truth? From the allegations I was told, I felt it a civic duty to ask the question for which some might be hesitant to ask. Now before the gracious Palm Mod has to get involved, let's not delineate from this topic to lecture people who don't need it nor want to hear it. Thanks :)

When I said I was going to stir things up this was not what I had in mind. We really need to get one of these to Hawaii so we can figure out what it really is.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

I am still not seeing much difference between these two palms. In the pics of Mardy's White Stem in a pot you can see the oldest leaf has nice wide leaflets that start to thin out with the new leaves. And this pic on palmpedia to me looks so similar. If they are different palms then I see a lot more similarities than differences.

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/images/c/c2/Dypsis_sp._%27White_Stem%27.jpg

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b