IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dysis White Stem (the monster one)

BS Man about Palms

Aaron - I think your on to something, the differences could be strictly enviormental.

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

Aaron.... you lost me a bit... many palms are refered to in this thread.

The pic of gary you included is of Gary in Habitat I believe with an unknown palm... that Gary thinks "may" be white stem, but it is bigger than anything else around. Have you seen any of the ones here in person? :blink:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

My bad Bill. I thought that palm was Dypsis robusta. Instead it is an unidentified palm in habitat that Gary thinks may be white stem.....It just looks like Dypsis robusta.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Aaron, I believe you are correct about the palm in Gary's photo. I have a photo of the same palm, taken some time after Gary's photo. The sign in the left margin of the photo would indicate this is a palm in the Ranomafana Arboretum, and if I am not mistaken, it has since been tentatively identified by Dransfield as D. robusta. Could it be the same as the mystery D. 'white stem'? I couldn't possibly answer that. I'd be interested if the experts out there agree this is D. robusta. ??

My photos:

This is the front of the sign visible in Gary's photo; the information predates the indentification of the palm

DSC_0585.jpg

DSC_0586.jpg

DSC_0583.jpg

DSC_0582.jpg

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Aaron, we are both right. :)

I thought habitat, you thought robusta! :D As Kim says, we shall see someday if the two are one and the same...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'll take that as an apology for yelling at me. :mrlooney: Seriously I am just having fun with this and just repeating what some things I have heard from some knowledgeable people in the palm world that make sense to me. Time will tell what this palm turns out to be, but robusta is the obvious choice for me right now.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is important to realize and remember that apparently many palm species in Madagascar have distinct variations. We all know of the different variations in D. lutescens and D. onilahensis. Some so distinct as to appear as different species. The same is holding true for D. decipiens. And I have been made aware of two positively verified very different D. psammophila. Different forms of D. lastelliana have also popped up. I could go on.

IMO, the same appears to be happening with D. prestoniana. I even seem to remember reading this somewhere. And it won't surprise me if D. robusta had some variation as well.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

When I said I was going to stir things up this was not what I had in mind. We really need to get one of these to Hawaii so we can figure out what it really is.

Need to get some to north Qld .. or make that some more ...

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Big difference between D.robusta and White Stem is growth. D. robusta grows easily. White stem is very difficult at best.

Kinda like the rate/ease of growth between Big Curly and OCWS - both of which several "in the know" are beginning to suspect are D. prestoniana.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

When I said I was going to stir things up this was not what I had in mind. We really need to get one of these to Hawaii so we can figure out what it really is.

Need to get some to north Qld .. or make that some more ...

Will look at planting mine, what ever it is, up here over the wet. Not that I am claiming to have one. Just a Dypsis that I posted a pic of previously that I am unsure of what it is exactly and as a small plant (still several years old)has some remarkable similarities. Well worth getting into the ground to findout at any rate. Love to hear from some of the more knowledgeable Dypsis growers.

Ben

• 6 months later...

I'm going back anyway very soon, maybe I can plan my whole trip around searching for this palm. My guess is the most feasible way to find them would be to fly over the forest in a low flying helicopter, but they may not be possible to find in Madagascar.

Another possibility is to fund Bruno to find it, he knows the area, people, language, etc...

Gary

Sounds lie a good idea ..Gary! Problem is ...which forest? Mardy describes the area as montane which would be difficult to find in the far south of Madagascar. Presumably he means sub-montane ie. isolated 'mountains' or mountainous areas greater than about 500m to about 1100m in altitude that have clear signs of much lower forest canopy. (The nearest montainous area that has true montane zones is the Andringitra Special Reserve and well inland from Manakara). So...somewhere near Taolagnaro (Fort Dauphin) might be the best bet. As you know Mardy very well perhaps he can be more specific ...then you and Bruno can proceed...with some confidence and maybe great success!

Last quote I heard for helicopter hire in Mad was about $4000 per hour!! Bruno is keeping fit so good luck!

Bill, your description fits that given to me from Mardy, I remember specifically he said it was inland from the coast. I will try to get more details from Mardy when I see him. My guess is the best possible location would be in Andohehela Reserve, but Andringitra also is possible.

Gary

Was reading thru this thread and was curious if Gary could tell us (or another Madgascar expert type person) how close this is to the Ranamofana Botanical Garden that the March 2012 IPS journal just said that the Dypsis robusta was "discovered" in. (All this to see if this lends creedence to the Dypsis robusta being the Dypsis "whitestem") :blink:

Bill - is it time for your ...:huh:

Bueller?

Bueller?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 7 months later...

I decided to take a chance and pot mine up today. It was really ready to go into a larger container. Very root bound in a 15gal.. I put it into a 25gal. Check out the orange color @ the base. No way is this D. Robusta. Looks very different in person. Especially side by side. Enjoy!

post-260-0-84016400-1354502101_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-57623600-1354502172_thumb.jpg

Excellent Ron! Thanks for an update!

I noticed about every dypsis gets that orange under the soil level. It looks like where you removed soil up against the stem during the re pot. The palm itself is getting pretty big now Ron, but you should just plant the thing in your yard so it grows even faster.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Yea Gary, I will probadly plant it in the spring. I was actually hoping someone would come along with a bag of Kuggarands and buy it from me. My garden is getting smaller as my palms get bigger!

• 1 year later...

Dypsis robusta and Dypsis sp. 'white stem' still confuse me. What's the skinny in their differences?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I think a palm that is probadly extinct is worth whatever one asks!

LOL....it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, and not a cent more.

Once someone bought a piece of french toast that looked like the "virgin mary" for $28,000.00... And if things really got rough you could actually eat the toast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4034787.stm

Certainly looks like robusta to me. What Darien has is no doubt Dypsis robusta. There are many Dypsis mysteries still out there but this is not one of them. The orange coloration is not uncommon.

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI