IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dysis White Stem (the monster one)

BS Man about Palms

Hi guys, I'm one of those "occasional readers" to Palm Talk, but none-the-less, still a Palm Lover. I see how long and of importance this post is so I decided to give my .02 as well. I'm going to have to upload a photo of a seedling I have in my collection that hopefully someone could ID. I'm not saying it's the "Elusive, Anointed" but I just want to know if it's a curly dypsis or "you never know" the Elusive. I thought it was worth the time. I'll upload the photo later today or tomorrow. Keep a look out.

• 1 month later...

So I have to ask...What are the tell-tale characteristics/ trade marks of this palm? How can you tell from a seedling if it is "white stem" or "big curly" or "prestoniana"?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

So I have to ask...What are the tell-tale characteristics/ trade marks of this palm? How can you tell from a seedling if it is "white stem" or "big curly" or "prestoniana"?

At this point I would just lay odds its a Prestoniana/big curly. (yep, you saw it here.)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 9 months later...

Having seen Mardys again today, I thought about this thread again. I will add that Mardy has noticed that the palm has a definite tristichous growth habit. The newest leaves open just barely above the others with a slight rotation. It is a beautiful palm, and I wish it wasn't so rare.

Jeff- Did you ever get to talk to John D?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I just looked at the pics again. I'm not that impressed by this palm. Looks like several others in the complex. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful, but not worth all the fuss.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I just looked at the pics again. I'm not that impressed by this palm. Looks like several others in the complex. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful, but not worth all the fuss.

Perhaps the recession has brought us all down to earth. It's a nice palm, but there are many, many nice palms in the world, and probably a few not yet discovered. I will stick to my pledge of $200 if anything develops. However, time has shown the palm is not worth anywhere near what sellers were asking, else it would have sold. Even with a price adjusted downward to reflect reality, I expect that palm is doomed. (Sniff :crying: ) Cue: les sanglots longs des violons.. :violin::violin:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

So...how's the 3 prestoniana's doing out there these days? :)

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

That would have been one very EXPENSIVE prestoniana at $50,000, little lone 5 million!

Those prices make Bills' prestoniana a bargain! :)

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Tell you what Jeff. You convince one of the 3 owners that all they have is a prestoniana, and will dig it up and have it alive in a pot (growing) and I'll give them $5,000. for one of those 4 palms!!! :P:blink:

That would have been one very EXPENSIVE prestoniana at $50,000, little lone 5 million!

Hey Scott, thanks for the ID. Can you tell us how you came to the conclusion it is a Prestoniana? Thanks buddy.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Calm down Len. Its OK. Really. We've seen what very few folks have. All 4. :D

Hey Scott, thanks for the ID. Can you tell us how you came to the conclusion it is a Prestoniana? Thanks buddy.

Len,

Wait one minute! I should get the full credit on this one, shouldn't I? Thought I would stir it up a little during the holiiiidays.

Wait....it does resemble a canaliculata also. Anyone care to update some pictures?

BTW......how's the wife and kids? :)

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Len,

I "concluded its inclusion" in the prestonianna complex based on the posts of several forum members familiar with this palm, one of which started this thread!!! Your welcome buddy! :winkie:

At this point I would just lay odds its a Prestoniana/big curly. (yep, you saw it here.)

But mainly I was just having a little FUN, like Jeff !!! :)

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Len,

I "concluded its inclusion" in the prestonianna complex based on the posts of several forum members familiar with this palm, one of which started this thread!!! Your welcome buddy! :winkie:

Ahh. So you do listen to others. To bad in this case it is incorrect including Bill's assessment as he will freely admit. Thanks for joining us in Dypsis discussion by the way Scott. :winkie:

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len,

Wait one minute! I should get the full credit on this one, shouldn't I? Thought I would stir it up a little during the holiiiidays.

Wait....it does resemble a canaliculata also. Anyone care to update some pictures?

BTW......how's the wife and kids? :)

Jeff

I know you were joking since you can at least ID palms :)

Trying to make it out for your sale in Spring. I have a business trip to VA then I figure a short little flight south might be nice.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I saw a photo of White Stem in habitat, definately not a Prestoniana or in that complex.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Sorry- But this reply is "taken out of context". What I was trying to imply is NOT that the palm I mentioned is a "Prestoniana/big curly", BUT that the likelihood of you looking at seedling trying to decide if its D. "white stem". That seedling is MOST likely to be a " Prestoniana/big curly". (The last part in parenthesis was to imply I had "given in" to the idea that Big Curley was prestoniana.)

C'mon. I started this thread, I know its NOT like the rest. I could have typed my reply better, but I was thinking about "new seedlings" in that post, NOT the 4 mentioned here. They most assuredly ARE NOT D. prestoniana.

Gary, any chance of posting a habitat pic of the palm in question?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Picture was taken from distance and at dusk. Won't help other then show it is tristichous.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Is seems like the same guy that took the pics of big foot took the pics of this palm.

Picture was taken from distance and at dusk. Won't help other then show it is tristichous.

Edited by tikitiki

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Is seems like the same guy that took the pics of big foot took the pics of this palm.

I would tend to agree , with one caveate... the guy who took BigFoots' pic wasn't able to get underneath him, or close enough to collect hair (SEED) samples!

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

• 2 weeks later...

You know, with the weather in So Flo this past week, it brings up why I was not a fan of getting one of these to the Fairchild versus Hawaii. Anyone know how the Fairchild has fared so far?

You know, with the weather in So Flo this past week, it brings up why I was not a fan of getting one of these to the Fairchild versus Hawaii. Anyone know how the Fairchild has fared so far?

You ask!

And you shall receive, Sire.

[WARNING: THIS MAY BE DISCONCERTING TO SOME VIEWERS!]

Icy-weeds-at-dawnWeb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Bill,

If any of the fantastic four have lost their specimens, then the world is just that bit worse off :(

Ps Bill Beatie is going back to Mad soon, I hope he finds one in habitat and brings back some seed, either way He will SHARE what he finds with those who are seriuos about palms.

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Bill,

If any of the fantastic four have lost their specimens, then the world is just that bit worse off :(

Ps Bill Beatie is going back to Mad soon, I hope he finds one in habitat and brings back some seed, either way He will SHARE what he finds with those who are seriuos about palms.

Just to clarify Bruce if you missed at first. When first found LOTS of plants were for sale and "around" at first. Its just a lot of people were still learning "big Dypsis" care and Mardy thought he could go back for more.

You ask!

Icy-weeds-at-dawnWeb.jpg

Dave,

Do I understand you that this picture was recently taken in Fairchild Gardens? I don't recognize the area if so.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

You ask!

Icy-weeds-at-dawnWeb.jpg

Dave,

Do I understand you that this picture was recently taken in Fairchild Gardens? I don't recognize the area if so.

Excellent question!

I don't recog the area, either. But it was on their website, so . . . .

But, dunno fer-sure . . . . :huh:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Bill,

Just to clarify Bruce if you missed at first. When first found LOTS of plants were for sale and "around" at first. Its just a lot of people were still learning "big Dypsis" care and Mardy thought he could go back for more.

Sorry Bill.

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

You ask!

Icy-weeds-at-dawnWeb.jpg

Dave,

Excellent question!

I don't recog the area, either. But it was on their website, so . . . .

But, dunno fer-sure . . . . :huh:

This aroused my curiosity, so I visited the Fairchild web site. The photo is of Fairchild Farms -- those are mango trees with frost on the weeds below. Richard Campbell, curator of fruit, has a blog about frost watch on the farms, and from what I read, they had temps in the low 30's for six nights -- and some of these were 33 and 35F, not so bad by California standards. (Not much discussion about palms.) You can read all about it here: http://www.fairchildgarden.org/livingcolle...Fairchild-Farm/

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• 1 month later...

I think I MAY have something interesting to add on this thread. There MAY be another one in Florida. I went to a garden this afternoon (snuck out of Jeffs) and saw a palm that Christian thought may be one of these. (That was mentioned to me in an off-hand way AFTER I had taken an interest in it. )The more I looked the less sure I was as which or what palm it is. I took a lot of pictures and will compare it to many pix I have of the few true sp. white stems at home.

If it is one, This is GREAT news. It is not far from the Fairchild. Also, it was not a "recent" palm. The owner bought it from an older seller at one the Palm shows here that just had that one type palm among the others, and they had had it for a long time. (8-10 years?)

If I had my camera cables I would post a couple pics.

Pictures, people, pictures!!!!!!! Not just words. I'm getting sick of reading!!!! :)

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 1 month later...

I took some pix of Doc Mardys D. White Stem today and its showing white!!! I've decided to start a new thread because most won't read a thread this long.

(I'll just have to put a link to this thread for all the people that think they have one. ;) )

PS- still not sure about the recent possible one in FL. Can't rule it out.

I'll probably start in a couple days as I have approval from all parties, so I'll post ALL my pix. (probably 40-50)

I am just going to say that if I had a palm so rare as this seems to be and it was surviving at my place, then I would keep it. Maybe if its survival wasnt assured then it may go elsewhere for posterity. When someone has put in the research and time, or even if they just fluked it...it belongs to them, if they can recoup some of their costs by selling it, good for them. Who is to say what is a fair price. I know I would have to be bribed considerably to part with a species so rare. Why give it away and risk someone that you dont like getting some seeds ? :D

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

a few photos

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

• 1 month later...

By the way, The So Cal tour will be at Mardy's on July 17th. If not the indoor one, at least the outdoor one will be available to be seen.

Be there!

By the way, The So Cal tour will be at Mardy's on July 17th. If not the indoor one, at least the outdoor one will be available to be seen.

Be there!

Bill - Jeff Searle has about 100 of the "white stem" Dypsis in all different sizes.

He kept them hidden when you visited. blink.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Ha-Ha I know better, plus, I went on hands and knees thru his nursery and house..