IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dysis White Stem (the monster one)

BS Man about Palms

After watching this topic snowball into a monster, I agree with certain ideas and not so much on others. I agree with Jack, and won't pay a dime for an over-priced palm of anykind. And really, what's overpriced? But in reality, do you really think your going to find 400-500 people to donate $100? Fat chance. One or two anonymous donors, this I could really see happening.

In my personal feelings, if, and this is a BIG if, this palm was eventually bought, I really think the best place to find a suitable home for this palm would be in a botanical garden, and not end up in a private garden. Not that there are not a couple of people that come to mind in Hawaii that I totally would think this palm would have the very best care, but were talking a long, long time for this palm to mature. And what happens is people pass away, or move on, maybe go through a nasty divorce, and property is sold, new home owners take a different approach or whatever. I mentioned Hawaii earlier, and I know all about restrictions on bringing plants into Hawaii, BUT, there could be a chance if certain people got involved and "PULLED a few strings" to get something like this onto the island. Which is where I think it would do the best. In a botanical garden, it would have the safest chance to survive.

In ending.........I will contact John Dransfield to take a moment of his time and maybe he could give us all some of his thoughts and ideas on;

A) what he thinks this palm might be

B) what areas of Mad. it might come from

C) and....some bloody HELP !!!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

What about the conservatory at the Hungtington in CA? No importation hoops, no barerooting, no wind, climate controlled, no earthqu...oh, nevermind.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

After watching this topic snowball into a monster, I agree with certain ideas and not so much on others. I agree with Jack, and won't pay a dime for an over-priced palm of anykind. And really, what's overpriced? But in reality, do you really think your going to find 400-500 people to donate $100? Fat chance. One or two anonymous donors, this I could really see happening.

In my personal feelings, if, and this is a BIG if, this palm was eventually bought, I really think the best place to find a suitable home for this palm would be in a botanical garden, and not end up in a private garden. Not that there are not a couple of people that come to mind in Hawaii that I totally would think this palm would have the very best care, but were talking a long, long time for this palm to mature. And what happens is people pass away, or move on, maybe go through a nasty divorce, and property is sold, new home owners take a different approach or whatever. I mentioned Hawaii earlier, and I know all about restrictions on bringing plants into Hawaii, BUT, there could be a chance if certain people got involved and "PULLED a few strings" to get something like this onto the island. Which is where I think it would do the best. In a botanical garden, it would have the safest chance to survive.

In ending.........I will contact John Dransfield to take a moment of his time and maybe he could give us all some of his thoughts and ideas on;

Jeff

Jeff,

I thought for sure you would be the first to volunteer and head the expedition. :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Matt this is a great idea. I think if it had come from a more respected member, or someone that knows more about palms, or just simply from someone people liked on the board, I believe this suggestion would have been better received.

What about the conservatory at the Hungtington in CA? No importation hoops, no barerooting, no wind, climate controlled, no earthqu...oh, nevermind.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Patience Len. When ideas are ahead of their time, one must wait until the time has come for them to take their turn in the time of the great ideas to come.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Another bad habit of mine :blink: --- I always look for potential problems.

Does the Huntington have the space (or willing to take the precautions) to keep it away from any other Dypsis they may have indoors to prevent cross pollination?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I know the curator Dylan of the Huntington conservatory, he is passionate about palms and this would be the easiest option. I still like Fairchild as the first option and I believe the palm would thrive. This palm is real marginal in So Cal, it definately needs a subtropical environment. I don't know of any palms from the southern montane forests of Madagascar that do not grow in Florida. Dypsis Marojejya is in the north and Dypsis Dicipians is a cool central plateau palm.

I think this is a great idea either way and I would donate for the project. The biggest obstacle I think is getting Ron to part with his palm, when Ron gets on this thread he can blow it up or show interest in selling for a good cause, until then were spinning our wheels.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Any negotiator would have to be a professional. This is not an amateur gig.

I've seen Bill with ranch hands, that's professional enough for me.

Ah geez, once again, just like every other bloody thing, it comes down to $$$, or does it ?.

If I had a plant, I'd donate it up front no questions.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Jeff

Jeff,

I thought for sure you would be the first to volunteer and head the expedition. :)

Dean,

Well, there are certainly a few people quite capable of going there in search of this palm. I for one, would definitely like the opportunity to go back. There would have to be some real homework done and looked into before going. And I would even fund my own way,but donations would be gladly excepted, if you know what I mean.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I'm going back anyway very soon, maybe I can plan my whole trip around searching for this palm. My guess is the most feasible way to find them would be to fly over the forest in a low flying helicopter, but they may not be possible to find in Madagascar.

Another possibility is to fund Bruno to find it, he knows the area, people, language, etc...

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I'm going back anyway very soon, maybe I can plan my whole trip around searching for this palm. My guess is the most feasible way to find them would be to fly over the forest in a low flying helicopter, but they may not be possible to find in Madagascar.

Another possibility is to fund Bruno to find it, he knows the area, people, language, etc...

Gary

This is good, if it's still there, what do you say Bruno old pal ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I am sure we would have no problem accepting a plant like this at Fairchild! Christie and I (with the aid of those with Malagasy experience) could probably find a nice place in the Rainforest or the Conservatory/Palmetum for it. I could see it taking the place of the Lodoicea that will eventually blow through the roof, and possibly the Welfia regia, as both are too big for the space provided for them.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I like Hoagies guidelines.... I'll donate for a decent price....

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Hi Guys,

Bill what a great topic you started off, there’s being some great responses

And idea’s Put forward by many people keen to see this rare palm planted

In so many various areas thought-out the world, it is great to see that many

have a true passion to save a true Beauty. Excellent to see, most are in

As far as a true collectors point of view and not the money side of things

(A dollar value has being talked about).

But we all know at the end of the day cash doesn’t come into the saving of

Something that is on the edge of extinction and the saving of this palm comes

First way before dollars. Man has done enough damage to the planet already

So it must be time we helped in some way even if it just with a small start,

To those luck enough to have them think real hard to

what you do with them. It would be any ones dream of a live time to be the

Holder of this wonderful looking Dypsis, But if someone was to sell or donate

A plant, in my view a Botanic Garden would be the best choice that way many

Could see and share in so many ways. But where would be the best place, If

One was available for planting the place of choice (as mentioned) I’d say it

Would have to be Fairchild, that way who ever does donate a palm could be

over see what happened to the seed of this ‘sp’ and that way get some form

Of reimbursement back or some agreement of the first couple of crops of seed.

Regards Mikey……….

Edited by calyptrocalyx&licuala freck

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Gary

Sounds lie a good idea ..Gary! Problem is ...which forest? Mardy describes the area as montane which would be difficult to find in the far south of Madagascar. Presumably he means sub-montane ie. isolated 'mountains' or mountainous areas greater than about 500m to about 1100m in altitude that have clear signs of much lower forest canopy. (The nearest montainous area that has true montane zones is the Andringitra Special Reserve and well inland from Manakara). So...somewhere near Taolagnaro (Fort Dauphin) might be the best bet. As you know Mardy very well perhaps he can be more specific ...then you and Bruno can proceed...with some confidence and maybe great success!

Last quote I heard for helicopter hire in Mad was about $4000 per hour!! Bruno is keeping fit so good luck!

I can't see how any one man can go into a forest and find this palm unless he has a lot of spare time. You surely need a team of at least 4 to 6 with marker poles and a gridded map, otherwise you can't leave and say with absolute certainty that, "It's not there". As sad as it would be to conclude, that is really what you need to be able to confirm once the expedition was over. As for helicopters, even trained crews struggle finding people in emergency situations, so what hope for an albeit expert picking out a palm in all that foliage. Even if you thought you saw it, once you land, you'd probably never get to the spot where you thought you saw what you thought was the Dypsis White Stem. Just my two cents on a fascinating discussion.

WOW! When I started this thread, I just wanted to let people about a very fascinating palm that just happened to be exceptionally rare. I had daydreams of trying to purchase one, but it often ended in "but would it grow and seed here" and what steps would I take to ensure its best hope for survival?"

I will try to contact several involved parties off line and get some answers or direction.

It is amazing to see the interest this generated.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Gary

Sounds lie a good idea ..Gary! Problem is ...which forest? Mardy describes the area as montane which would be difficult to find in the far south of Madagascar. Presumably he means sub-montane ie. isolated 'mountains' or mountainous areas greater than about 500m to about 1100m in altitude that have clear signs of much lower forest canopy. (The nearest montainous area that has true montane zones is the Andringitra Special Reserve and well inland from Manakara). So...somewhere near Taolagnaro (Fort Dauphin) might be the best bet. As you know Mardy very well perhaps he can be more specific ...then you and Bruno can proceed...with some confidence and maybe great success!

Last quote I heard for helicopter hire in Mad was about $4000 per hour!! Bruno is keeping fit so good luck!

Bill, your description fits that given to me from Mardy, I remember specifically he said it was inland from the coast. I will try to get more details from Mardy when I see him. My guess is the best possible location would be in Andohehela Reserve, but Andringitra also is possible.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Ok I'm on board for both ideas I'll take 2 shares in the over priced palm and I'll volunteer as a self funded expeditioneer.

Patience Len. When ideas are ahead of their time, one must wait until the time has come for them to take their turn in the time of the great ideas to come.

:)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Kris, your the only one who understands me. :D

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Ok I'm on board for both ideas I'll take 2 shares in the over priced palm and I'll volunteer as a self funded expeditioneer.

Oscar! Is "stach yu"?

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This is a very interesting thread and I almost missed it, travelling in the South.

Please count me in for a donation too. No need of seeds while the species is still endangered. The future generations deserve to benefit from this nice species too. And we all, Palm admirers in special, must realize that this Planet's biodiversity requires us of such conscious gestures.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Not a big update here, but one nonetheless. Thru a recent "hearsay" conversation with Mardy, he at one time when he first brought seeds in, he had " thousands of them" . And quite a few were sold were or traded. Then a rough winter happened some time back and wiped out all but about a hundred. Those have been traded off, sold off, or damped off, are the remaining "accounted for 6" or ???

If any of you read the thread about Pauleen Sullivans home for sale, there is a possibility she has one in Kapoho, Hawaii. I have not called her to ask.

The above gives me slight hope that someone is growing one well somewhere, under the radar as it were.

As for the sale or purchase or donation of the "best condition" remaining palm. Not likely. The owner at this point is not sure whether they want to keep it or sell it or how much to sell it for. The best hint I got was that it would be a good palm for "Nong Nooch" (Anders do you read here?) :huh:

If I know more I'll post more. I hope to maybe get some updated photos at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

I just spoke with Mardy about this palm. He is asking 5 million. Gary, You said you were calling me out! Well now I am calling you out. You want to save this palm put up! Or as they say shut up! It is forsale! Don,t insult me!

I am imagining a PRA where in I transplant the sucker from the pool house back to Madagascar, you in with me Jeff? Who else?

I also want world peace and BS Man in a black teddie! :floor:

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

I just spoke with Mardy about this palm. He is asking 5 million. Gary, You said you were calling me out! Well now I am calling you out. You want to save this palm put up! Or as they say shut up! It is forsale! Don,t insult me!

Mardy Jr. :drool:

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Whoa! easy up Ron, were just ribbing you a little, no insults intended. But no, I don't want to save the palm that much, things go extinct every day, so this might just be one of those destined to disappear.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

• 3 months later...

Can't believe it was just a few months back we went through this.

But here are some pictures of Mardy Darien's White Stem in his pool house provided by Phil. Still waiting for Gary to get some bigger pix... :lol:

You can see the pool house helps it look more tropical.

post-27-1225635986_thumb.jpg

post-27-1225636001_thumb.jpg

post-27-1225636043_thumb.jpg

Upon looking closer, I do see some good news in my previous post. Those are TWO of the Dypsis White Stems!!! One in the pool house, the other "outside", both at Mardy's place. Looking good at this point at least.

5 million? Why not make it 100 billion? I don't even think I can count that high.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

matt i know you can count up to 5 at least,its almost a six-pack.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: ...........and one more :lol: that was good!

Jeff....and still laughing on this one.

Oh... so what did everyone agree on? That it's just another D. prestoniana? Good news! Well, many of us have a "million dollar" palm in our collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: ...........and one more :lol: that was good!

Jeff....and still laughing on this one.

Oh... so what did everyone agree on? That it's just another D. prestoniana? Good news! Well, many of us have a "million dollar" palm in our collection.

Dude! You saw Jeff's in person! I can't believe you are serious on that last comment. One of my legs is long enough, you don't need to pull it! :o:blink:

• 2 months later...

Some more recent pics of Mardys White Stem from Kim...

And now for the very, very, very rare. Some of you will know this palm by the arch in the frond, the heft of the leaflets, and the slightly blue cast of the color:

post-216-1233813064_thumb.jpg post-216-1233813091_thumb.jpg post-216-1233813104_thumb.jpg

This palm is far larger than it appears in the photos; in fact it's hard to get the whole leaf in a photo. This is the elusive Dypsis "White Stem". When he first saw these in habitat, he says the big white crownshafts seemed to glow in the fading light of the day, and he crossed a crocodile-infested swamp to reach them. The Doc had many of these at one time, but less than a handful remain. Years later when he returned to the swampy area where he originally collected them, the forest had been completely eradicated. It is not known if any remain in habitat; this is one of the great Dypsis mysteries.

post-216-1233813050_thumb.jpg

edit:

Hmmm. not working, have to do this the old fashioned way.

You can also really see the rearward sweep of the leaves on some shots.

post-27-1233896656_thumb.jpg

post-27-1233896694_thumb.jpg

Two more. Thanks Kim! (and Mardy!)

post-27-1233896780_thumb.jpg

post-27-1233896815_thumb.jpg