IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dysis White Stem (the monster one)

BS Man about Palms

I wasn't sure how to put it in the title thread, but I wanted to get across that this Dypsis is totally unique and was found and "named" by Mardy D. quite some time ago. Mardy has a couple at his place, a beautiful one in his poolhouse, but stretched and some struggling outside. This one is at Jeff B's "Cuesta Linda" and it is coming out of the funk the cold winter of 06/07 and looks like it will do fine. We have talked about building a "winter house" for it due to its rarity.

Part of why I'm posting to see if the Aussie guys or "whoever" has one. Our Moderator told me he killed a few in his youth when there were some seedlings out there. :crying:

First off, its BIG. The leaves also overlap AND point backward towards the petiole.

(sorry for the poor pics, fixed my camera "just after" going to Jeff's.)

post-27-1212938840_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The fronds are only about 6-7' (about 2m+)long, and VERY different looking!

post-27-1212939015_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

A group of us were there several months ago and noted the soil was starting to get in or near the growing point, we were afraid of "fungus". Jeff cleaned it up and I'm AMAZED for the leaves being as long as they are (around 7') the "crownal region" is enormous! It has to be a foot across!!

Jeff said Mardy said when he saw it in habitat, it was twice as wide a Dypsis Decipeins! (Apparently where it/they were has since been cleared.) :angry:

Anyone else out there know of one? You don't have to say location, just a headcount would be nice.

post-27-1212939442_thumb.jpg

Oops! I just remembered the location of another one. (not in the ground) That makes 3 locations with one.

I'm confused. I thought this was the same as the two Bo has next to his driveway. I also thought Jeff Marcus was now selling seedlings so I assumed he had a large one though I've never seen a picture. I realize that these are all different than Dypsis albofarinosa.

Mike in Scripps Ranch

Zone 10a, 9 miles from ocean

Dypsis "White Stem" and Dypsis sp White are two different plants. The White Stem is what Mardy classifies as one of his top five favorite palms ever. In fact I think it is his favorite one from Madagascar. From hearing stories about it when he got the seed in the wild, it sounds like an amazing palm. I have seen the four Bill refers too (I will be signing autographs later :mrlooney: ) and it bums me out that this plant - at least one - should not be in the tropics somewhere growing. Meaning like in Bo's or Jeff's garden. There is some debate on it and its survivability plus its identity.

Just my two cents. Change please.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I'm confused. I thought this was the same as the two Bo has next to his driveway. I also thought Jeff Marcus was now selling seedlings so I assumed he had a large one though I've never seen a picture. I realize that these are all different than Dypsis albofarinosa.

Len hit the nail on the head. I think "Sp White" came about because no one knew Mardy had already "picked"? that name, because so few are out there.

As Len has alluded to, I HOPE someone else in the world has one or some, for while I don't have the dire predictions Len has, I do believe if these few make it to seeding stage around here, it would 15 years at least!

I have often thought the same thing as Len about this palm. While there are a few struggling here in So Cal. someone needs to get one of these in the hands of Bo, Jerry or Jeff on the big Island where they will not merely survive but thrive and produce seed so that one of the most awesome palms ever to come out of Madagascar does not go extinct.

Steve

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

I have often thought the same thing as Len about this palm. While there are a few struggling here in So Cal. someone needs to get one of these in the hands of Bo, Jerry or Jeff on the big Island where they will not merely survive but thrive and produce seed so that one of the most awesome palms ever to come out of Madagascar does not go extinct.

Steve

I one for sale or trade a while back, and the person offering wanted more money for it than I had ever heard asked for a plant, and this includes cycads. :hmm:

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I'll have to take responsibility for the "Dypsis sp. white" name! :) I began referring to the ones we have by our driveway as the "White Dypsis" when I posted some photos on PalmTalk, and from there it was a short step to "Dypsis sp. white". And no, I didn't really think of checking with Mardy first... We all make our mistakes! :mrlooney:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Steve

I one for sale or trade a while back, and the person offering wanted more money for it than I had ever heard asked for a plant, and this includes cycads. :hmm:

Christian, fix your typo so I understand what you mean.... :huh:

But I heard at one point Mardy would sell one of his for . . . . . . . . . .. . ... . $45,000.!

I might go for a big one if you took a zero off, I dunno.

Bo, you are completely forgiven. :lol:

I also see one of the owners of this palm has recently been reading this thread. :hmm: comments? :unsure:

Christian, Was this palm in Florida or California? Bill, I have heard of bottles of wine selling for 500,000. People have purschased land for 5000.00. Then turned around ten years later & ask 1.5mil. I think a palm that is probadly extinct is worth whatever one asks! Specially if there are only 4 palms total. I don,t see the price of gas going down. If Mardy would sell his today for 45,000. It is probadly a deal. If I had one forsale, which I don,t. I would probadly want alot too. It is worth more than a cycad, because of its rarity.My three cents!

I have this palm for sale for 1/2 price.....only for today.........$19,999.00 send money order or cashier check to

Ali Coopa

1829 Mogu Gabi

Camaroon 2498

If you act quickly I will also throw in 2 fertilized eggs from my chicken. (See picture) People tell me it is a rare bird, but I throw it in for free if you buy my palm today.

Both plant and chicken eggs will be sent overnight to insure viability.

post-97-1212960343_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

To save this species, they need to be sent to the tropics.

Anyone wants to send me some seeds???? I'll grow them :winkie:

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

There is one growing in North Queensland, near an old house

development is getting closer and closer

regards

colin

post-197-1212966409_thumb.jpg

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Colin, not the same palm. The one in your picture is "Dyp. "sp. white" not "White stem". When you see both together, its easy to tell apart. The "sp. white" shows a white petiole fairly early on. The "White stem" I think got its name from its look at maturity, you will notice the petioles are quite green.

Bill

Christian, Was this palm in Florida or California? Bill, I have heard of bottles of wine selling for 500,000. People have purschased land for 5000.00. Then turned around ten years later & ask 1.5mil. I think a palm that is probadly extinct is worth whatever one asks! Specially if there are only 4 palms total. I don,t see the price of gas going down. If Mardy would sell his today for 45,000. It is probadly a deal. If I had one forsale, which I don,t. I would probadly want alot too. It is worth more than a cycad, because of its rarity.My three cents!

Ron- I think the value and the rarity is a different subject, although connected, to the continuation of the species.

Thanks Bill

is there many Dypsis sp white around in the US

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

rem

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Colin, I know of several in "pots" around, but none planted in the Mainland. Since Hawaii is the US, there are several planted and growing well there, Bo's to be specific.

Wal- your pic is "sp. White". Oops- your pic was sp. white.

Colin, I know of several in "pots" around, but none planted in the Mainland. Since Hawaii is the US, there are several planted and growing well there, Bo's to be specific.

Wal- your pic is "sp. White". Oops- your pic was sp. white.

The largest "Sp. White" I know of is in Jeff Marcus's garden. One of the most striking palms in his garden. The petioles and new spear feel like styrofoam.

P1010870.jpg

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

I think a palm that is probadly extinct is worth whatever one asks!

LOL....it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, and not a cent more.

Hi Bill,

Nice, It is really different thanks for show that Rare Beauty

to us.

Regards Mikey.

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Sp. White is one fine looking palm. Doesn't Floribunda have seedlings? Is the cold tolorance anywhere near D. decipens? This might have to be a candidate for a "courtyard palm" when I build in a few years.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Hi Bill

Super rare is the word or Highly endangered also would come to mind.

It’s quite amazing and totally different to any of the other Dypsis I have seen! :drool:

I remember seeing this one a few months ago when Dean put a link on another topic I think it was: Dypsis sp? By jdapalms the link then went to the garden of Jeff and Christine brosseau in Vista California. It only showed a photo of just a leaf of this species but that was enough to see that it was something special!!

I asked Jeff Marcus about this species and he does not have this species growing but remembered that Marty D. also had something like this as well.

I also pass the link to Bill Beattie but Bill would have liked to see more of the palm before he would pass any comment.

I have not seen anything like this in Australia and remember reading that there might be only one Palm left in of this species in Madagascar? :hmm:

So it’s up to you guys in the US to look after these last remaining plants and get them flowing and then distribute the seeds as this species looks to be only represented by these last plants noted above, once these are gone we have lost another fantastic Madagascan Palm.

Ps by the looks of the ones in the photos one of these last, 3 ? Remaining plants needs to be grown in a more tropical environment! :hmm:

Clayton

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Clayton and Mikey, Thanks for weighing in your comments. Good news and bad I guess. Good news because I have been able to view something very rare, bad news because I was hoping there might be some "seeders" over there. I searched around a bit and found some older photos.

This first one I believe is an old shot of an area of Mardy's garden. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is a "White Stem" on the left and an "OCWS" (discussed in the past around here) on the right.

post-27-1212979472_thumb.jpg

This next one is a few years back, at Jeff's place, photo courtesy of Daves Garden.

Dwhitestembig95921025ZClqcG_fs.jpg

This other PalmBob photo I found helps show the leaf arrangement better.

post-27-1212980132_thumb.jpg

Bill, I saw the large plant Mardy had in a trash can. It is a knock-out palm. Totally unique. I would be stoked if Bill Beattie has seen this palm in Madgascar. I am afraid it is gone. I know of one forsale. Not cheap! Someone will profit now. If it goes to Hawaii & set seed , someone else will profit in the future. Anybody interested?

Hi Bill

Mardy D. Must have been the collector of this species and only distributed maybe seedlings or plants of this species to a very limited amount of lucky people, I did read some where that it was though that there “Might” be one remaining palm left in Madagascar but this plant was not mature? :hmm:

Also this species looks like one of those Dypsis that can take over 12 to 15 years just to form a trunk, it’s going to be quite some time before we are going to see any seed from this species, that was why I suggested that it would be nice to have at least one of this species growing in the tropics for seed production which might increase the chances of it’s survival.

Really this palm is 100x more rarer than Tahina Spectabilis when it comes down to it!

So maybe the IPS could help fund some sort of project? Or at least try to get one into a Botanical gardens?

How about Fairchild B.G.? Hey Christian here’s one you need to get into the Gardens!

Ron you know Mardy quite well he would the one to talk to about this species!

I don’t think Bill Beattie has seen this species in habitat before? as I asked him about it a few months ago!

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Clayton, This palm White Stem may be the rarest palm today. Tahina, not rare! Everybody in the world just got seeds. We are talking about maybe 4 palms total in existence. Yea and you always have the wise guy masking a crack about how someone has it cheaper. Yea right! Get a grip! It should go somewhere tropical without an EGO! Maybe back to Madagascar! Don,t have the answer. But one can be had for the right price. Any rich guys out there?

No....I have not seen this palm in Madagascar! If we had we would have published photos on Palmtalk. Amazing plant!!! Clayton showed me a photo some time ago but I assumed it was a deformed palm....eh?!

Best thing to do is to contact Mardy and ask him if he remembers where he collected the species...and eventually someone will try and relocate it. Anyone out there know Mardy sufficiently well to ask?

In terms of rare Mad palms this must be included among quite a few species yet to be refound in habitat...yet specimens exist in a few collectors' hands. Dypsis sp 'bejouf'.. (not D. bejofo)... the one with the small, deeply grooved seed is another and yes, there are many more. Will post pics soon. Cheers!

I vote for one to go to the yard of the current IPS president..... Now if we just arrange for some grant money....

Oh yes, Thanks Bill for your input on this one.

Ron, does rich with love count? Then I sir, will take one.

Someone should try to guilt Jeff B into 'donating' his to Fairchild. :drool:

Clayton, This palm White Stem may be the rarest palm today. Tahina, not rare! Everybody in the world just got seeds. We are talking about maybe 4 palms total in existence. Yea and you always have the wise guy masking a crack about how someone has it cheaper. Yea right! Get a grip! It should go somewhere tropical without an EGO! Maybe back to Madagascar! Don,t have the answer. But one can be had for the right price. Any rich guys out there?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

:rolleyes: bump for those that only read at work...

I remember dypsis white stem seeds offered on Rare Palm Seeds months back and it was quickly sold out. I wonder if this is the same palm.

If it is Toby can trace if some seeds went to a more hospitable (warmer) part of the world to grow in.

Now I want one!!

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

False alarm!!! I just checked the archives of RPS and its 'Dypsis White Petiole". The picture of teh palm there is not the same as this one. Bummer! :bummed:

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

I see these all the time at Mardy's house and have talked quite extensively with him about the palm. First of all, there are a total of six specimens left in the world. Mardy has three in the ground outside, one looks pretty good and the others don't look like they will survive. Then he has one large and gorgeous specimen in his poolroom, this has the best chance of all to possibly produce seed some day and it is getting large with eight foot leaves now. Mardy also has one more small plant in a 33 gallon trash can. After Mardy, Jeff Breusseau has the one plant shown in this thread, it has been in the ground for many years now and hopefully will survive to make seed someday. It is very marginal and Jeff's has been through a funk on many occasions coming out of winter, so all it will take is one bad winter and it's gone. The last plant is Ron Lawyers who has it in his greenhouse in San Clemente. One correction, Bill mentioned it is a large palm, it is actually a small to medium size palm with a truck that gets six inches maximum in the wild. According to Mardy, it has a very long crownshaft that is covered in white powder. Mardy found the colony of these palms in the very south montane forest area of Madagascar. He has been back there on more than one occasion and there is no forest left in the area where he collected the seed, so it is most likely extinct. Since there are only two palms left in pots, Mardy has one of them and the other is Ron's, one of these guys should absolutely drive to Florida and donate it to Fairchild or Montgomery Botanical Garden. It is selfish to keep these last remaining specimens in Southern California where one day they will surely die. Since either Ron or Mardy won't do this, you can count on Dypsis "White Stem" to become extinct.

Gary

Edited by Gtlevine

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I see these all the time at Mardy's house and have talked quite extensively with him about the palm. First of all, there are a total of six specimens left in the world. Mardy has three in the ground outside, one looks pretty good and the others don't look like they will survive. Then he has one large and gorgeous specimen in his poolroom, this has the best chance of all to possibly produce seed some day and it is getting large with eight foot leaves now. Mardy also has one more small plant in a 33 gallon trash can. After Mardy, Jeff Breusseau has the one plant shown in this thread, it has been in the ground for many years now and hopefully will survive to make seed someday. It is very marginal and Jeff's has been through a funk on many occasions coming out of winter, so all it will take is one bad winter and it's gone. The last plant is Ron Lawyers who has it in his greenhouse in San Clemente. One correction, Bill mentioned it is a large palm, it is actually a small to medium size palm with a truck that gets six inches maximum in the wild. According to Mardy, it has a very long crownshaft that is covered in white powder. Mardy found the colony of these palms in the very south montane forest area of Madagascar. He has been back there on more than one occasion and there is no forest left in the area where he collected the seed, so it is most likely extinct. Since there are only two palms left in pots, Mardy has one of them and the other is Ron's, one of these guys should absolutely drive to Florida and donate it to Fairchild or Montgomery Botanical Garden. It is selfish to keep these last remaining specimens in Southern California where one day they will surely die. Since either Ron or Mardy won't do this, you can count on Dypsis "White Stem" to become extinct.

Gary

Gary,

Your comments are very interesting, and somewhat on the bold side. As much as I would love to see this growing in Fairchild Gardens, I'm absolutely sure that this palm would do much better, and grow much faster in one of the public gardens on the big island of Hawaii. With the uncertainty of Mardy's property for the future and the much slower growing conditions of So-Cal. the place where this palm would do it's best, would be in Hawaii. Just my thoughts.....

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.