IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Attalea marip

amazondk

Sorry, I left the a off of the end of maripa.  It should read Attalea maripa.

dk

I was over at the city of Itacoatiara down the Amazon River some 280 kms from Manaus the past few days.  While there I took a few shots of some Attalea maripas which I thought might be interesting.  These palms are more like weeds here as they grow anywhere pretty much there is disturbed land.  They are pretty palms though.  One thing which was interesting was the quantity of wasps nesting amoung the seed pods of the trees.  Also you might notice that it is quite dry.  It has not rained much in the past 3 months.  Eventhough we do not expect to have the problems of last year when there was a record drought and low water levels.  This year there has actually been above average rainfall in the area.

It has been real hot, average daytime temps over 40 C.

dk

OrlandosInajas.jpg

OrlandosInaja6.jpg

OrlandosInajas3.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Here are a few more shots from the same place.

dk

Orlandosinaja4.jpg

OrlandosInajas2.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don:

This amazonic Attalea (formerly described as a monoespecific genus Maximiliana) has been in my wish list for a long time now. Lorenzi's book brings an amazing illustration too, but from your pictures I understand now how the leaf arrangement in four opposite sides is interesting and different from the other species, and also the fronds don't bring the sharp twist in the tips like the other species in the genus. I have received many maripa seeds from Belém last year and shared a few with other friends, but none of mine have sprouted here yet...the germination does not seem very easy but I am still optimistic. Thanks for sharing these photos.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Gileno,

I should be able to get you some seeds, there were a lot of them on the ground where I was.  And, there are a lot of these palms around Manaus.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello Don,

Do you think you might be able to get some fresh few seeds of the Attalea maripa?

There is a friend of mine in Germany who is looking for fresh seeds.

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Simona,

Getting fresh seeds is really no problem.  The problem is sending them.  I have not been very good at getting this done.  If you declare them at the post office they make a big deal and send you to the Agriculture Ministry.  There lays the problem.  But, is solveable and I do need to get this done.  I will see about that part next week since I will be in Manaus all week.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Thank you a lot, Dot. I will pss over your answer to my friend. Sche'll be extremly happy about your positive reaction. Take your time and thank you, again.

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Just heard from a local guy who had collected Attalea speciosa seeds locally .

Seeds had not sprouted after 18 months , so he emptied the pot , gave them another soak , and placed on top of the media in full sun . He got sprouts a few months after that .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Some time ago I collected A. maripa seeds in Suriname. The fruits are sold at market places there and taste pretty good. I took a lot of seeds home, sprouted some and gave the rest away to other enthousiast, who also had no problems sprouting them. Here's a picture of one of my seedlings about a month ago...

post-1050-1208076510_thumb.jpg

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands