IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix

toto

from a higher ground somewhere down in Madagascar which should be more cold hardy. Does such a place with such B. exist. It is not the B. from the south , it should be a new third place.  Thanks toto

16E 43N

9b zone

There is suppose to be a third species of Becc. JD thinks there is and I assume he is still working out the kinks. It's found in small valley's.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Jeff Searle @ Sep. 15 2006,17:52)

There is suppose to be a third species of Becc. JD thinks there is and I assume he is still working out the kinks. It's found in small valley's.

I'd love to hear more about this one. Any pics Jeff.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks Jeff....all i know is that the seeds were collected by a Italian expedition some five years ago. The palms (eight available) are much better responding to low winter averages like we have here in Europa on 43N then the two other Beccariophoenix. Even ted days with temps under 10C takes the palm without a problem. In a few days i will have one in my hands so i can tell the difference from the other two variety's. The only info about the site down in Madagascar is that the site is +1000 m high.   thanks toto

16E 43N

9b zone

toto!

Nice to meet you!

Where are you?  Yeah, yeah, I know, lat' and long', alla that, but why not come out and say?

Whatever.

As for the beccariophoenix, it's hard to say.  Some are definitely hardier than others, and you're in a place where that hardiness will be tested.  

For certain, the "no window" kind is much hardier -- though much slower-growing, at least while young -- than the "window" kind.  I've heard tales of other types, but no real taxonomic study.

A picture would be nice, and if you're having trouble, we'll be glad to help.  

We're all ho's for pix around here!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yes. I'd love to see a pic when you get it. If it grows for you, you will have a plant that looks like a coconut at 43N. Cool.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Toto,

I do not have any pictures of this potential third species. I did watch a couple of years ago, a slide presentation that John Dransfield gave and he showed us a couple of far away shots of this palm. It would be nice if he could maybe make a comment on this topic.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Not much to look at, but here is a B. 'new species' from Floribunda in a two gal.

post-11-1158442266_thumb.jpg

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

At that stage it looks like most Beccies look. But when it gets older it will be interesting.

regards

Tyrone

Jeff, About a year I bought some seed marked 'Beccariophoenix Sp. "third form".Last time I looked I had about 10 or so coming up.If you want some I'll bring to the sale in Nov. for you.Remind me.John

Old Miakka, Florida

23 miles inland from Sarasota Bay

Zone 9b

middle of a swamp in SW Central FL