IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PERU....IPS POST TOUR 2008

Jeff Searle

Don,

Yes, the river was way down, several feet. But no, they really didn't mention much about the rainy season.

Jeff,

Thanks, and there are a few more.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I only remember seeing one specie of Geonoma growing in this area. This is G. macrostachys.

Jeff

post-23-1213929328_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Another one growing. We were able to find a few seeds of this one.

Jeff

post-23-1213929792_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Our guide Carlos, pointed out that these were illegal "houseboats" that were mining for gold along the river banks. They would drop their suction lines down into the water and suck up the muddy water trying to filter out any gold dust. Not chips, but "dust". If that makes sense.

Jeff

post-23-1213930017_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Andrea, Jim, Judy, and Heather Martin after eating our lunch at the nursery/farm.

post-23-1213930140_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Part of our group on the trail.

post-23-1213930209_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bactris concinna

post-23-1213930269_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Phytelephas macrocarpa, with no trunk.

post-23-1213930344_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

We saw only two or three of these, Desmoncus polyacanthos.

post-23-1213930447_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Another Geonoma with a red emergent leaf. So pretty when you see them. They reminded me of some of the small understory Dypsis we saw in Madagascar.

Jeff

post-23-1213930601_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Last of the Geonoma's.

post-23-1213930663_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ferns carpeted the forest floor.

post-23-1213930729_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Some of our group leaving the farm, to head back to the lodge.

post-23-1213930801_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

An interesting Philodendron I suppose. Any aroid people outhere that can help with an ID?

post-23-1213931218_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I just found this picture, as we were still on the trail and had not yet got onto our boat. It had been a long day, walked alot, and as you can see, Andrea had way too much energy for us. I have no idea what she was thinking. And neither did Jim!

Jeff

post-23-1213931427_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I just found this picture, as we were still on the trail and had not yet got onto our boat. It had been a long day, walked alot, and as you can see, Andrea had way too much energy for us. I have no idea what she was thinking. And neither did Jim!

Jeff

:lol: :lol: looks like jungle fever Jeff, good on ya Andrea for having fun, that does look like bug and critter country to me, any worries with local fauna ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Jeff

:lol: :lol: looks like jungle fever Jeff, good on ya Andrea for having fun, that does look like bug and critter country to me, any worries with local fauna ?

Wal,

Like in Costa Rica the week earlier, you really don't want to start walking off the trails too much. In fear of snakes. But, we made it back, no fang punctures,rashes, or upset stomach virus. But thanks for asking. I'm sure you could walk with the "big boys" as well. :) You seem like a tough lad....

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Andrea and I with our hostess.

post-23-1214010053_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

One last pic. with Carlos and I. I'd like to mention that when we were down there, I explained all about the IPS and what a great group of people that are associated with it. He had a sincere desire to learn much more about his native palms in that area. He asked me how to order a couple of palm books and I plan on sending these along with some other little things that he would like to be able to use. I told him about PalmTalk and he said he would like to register soon and hopefully contribute from that part of the world.

Some of the palm species that we saw;

Geonome macrostachys

Phytelephas macrocarpa

Desmoncus polyachantus

Oenocarpus mapora

Bactris concinna

Chamaedorea angustisecta

Astrocaryum murumuru

Socratea exorrhiza

Mauritia flexuosa

Euterpe precatoria

Attalea butyracea

Iriartea deltoidea

Bactris gasipaes

post-23-1214010795_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

It's not a very good picture at all, but it was pretty cool to be able to leave such a tropical country such as Peru, and then in such a short period of time, to be able to look down at the snow covered Andes Mountains on our way back to Miami. Thats all.........

Jeff

post-23-1214011042_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff

Wal,

Like in Costa Rica the week earlier, you really don't want to start walking off the trails too much. In fear of snakes. But, we made it back, no fang punctures,rashes, or upset stomach virus. But thanks for asking. I'm sure you could walk with the "big boys" as well. :) You seem like a tough lad....

Jeff

They don't call me "nails" for nothing, oh geez, I shouldn't have said anything, here comes Angela for sure.

Thanks Jeff for the trip, I would love to see Euterpe in habitat, any of the Euterpe species really, that genus is one of my favorites but to see them live unplugged in situ would be a grand thing indeed.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Jeff,

That was obviously a very memorable trip! Enjoyed all the excellent photos! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Jeff

You know, this picture reminds me. Where are the"Turtle pics" from Costa Rica....? :rolleyes:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Jeff

You know, this picture reminds me. Where are the"Turtle pics" from Costa Rica....? :rolleyes:

Bill,

You know, Ryan has all those pictures, so if he evers get posting, I'm sure their going to come up.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

I was just looking at the map and where you went is real close to where I was in Bolivia last year. You may remember the thread of the charter plane trip over there. Puerto Maldanado is on the road that will eventually link Brazil to the Pacific in Peru. The Madre de Dios River flows into Pando where I was in Bolivia. It is also not far from where the uncontacted indians were filmed a few weeks ago. Did you see much bamboo in the forest understory? When I went into the forest in Acre the Brazilian state bordering on that part of Peru I was impressed with how much bamboo was growing in the forest. The same thing I noticed in Bolivia. The forest is really quite a bit different there from here. It also has a more marked dry season and gets hit by the tail end of cold fronts coming up from Argentina this time of year. Flying over the Andes is a beautiful sight. Thanks again for the pictures.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Great pictures Jeff! The thumbnail size and quality is perfect!

Well thank-you Kate, and the rest of your comments from everyone.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 1 year later...

UPDATE........

Nothing real exciting, but today I potted up about 40 Cham. angustisecta's from the seed house into one gallon pots and will have them available at my next sale. I look forward to getting a few of these in the ground, maybe spring of 2010.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

great pix,jeff! i recognize the martins form palm meetings here in SD! great to see some locals getting out of the comfort zone,its inspiring me to do the same.

maybe. :(

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Paul,

It was a pleasure to meet them, and actually spent lots of time with them during the days. Good people! This was a nice lodge and was well worth the visit. I would do it again.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.