IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So Who Here is Growing Mangos

epicure3

Mangos are just about my favorite fruit. I just purchased 2 new mango trees. A Nam Doc Mai variety and an Alphonso variety. One Indian and one Asian variety. I also have a Glenn which gives me about 30-40 fruits each year. What are you guys/gals growing and what are the challenges that you have, if any?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I grow Nam Doc Mai and Bailey's Marvel. The Nam Doc Mai was in heavy flower when we had a cold snap in January, all the flowers and much of the tops was lost. (One fruit was formed after this freeze from that early flower, it was a panicle close to the ground, but the fruit split about half way to maturity. It now has two fruit from a subsequent flowering in April (I think). The only problem with it has been the occasional cold snap.

Here is a pic of the fruit from a few years ago:

DSC01666.jpg

The Bailey's Marvel was not damaged in the cold (it is rumored to be the most cold-hardy mango type when mature). It flowered some time ago, but like last year the fruit came off early and did not ripen. It has made only a few fruit with each flowering. It is a vigorous grower and so is the Nam Doc Mai.

My Nam Doc Mai is like a big bush as a result of the cold of 2003, it regrew above the graft many leaders which I left to grow as they will. It is about 10-12ft tall and about that wide.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Do Mangos from seed produce decent fruit? If so, how long from seed does it take a Mango to reach fruiting size?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Do Mangos from seed produce decent fruit? If so, how long from seed does it take a Mango to reach fruiting size?

Mangos from seed rarely produce good fruit. I don't know why....that's just what I have read. You want to have grafted trees.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

I grow Nam Doc Mai and Bailey's Marvel. The Nam Doc Mai was in heavy flower when we had a cold snap in January, all the flowers and much of the tops was lost. (One fruit was formed after this freeze from that early flower, it was a panicle close to the ground, but the fruit split about half way to maturity. It now has two fruit from a subsequent flowering in April (I think). The only problem with it has been the occasional cold snap.

Here is a pic of the fruit from a few years ago:

DSC01666.jpg

The Bailey's Marvel was not damaged in the cold (it is rumored to be the most cold-hardy mango type when mature). It flowered some time ago, but like last year the fruit came off early and did not ripen. It has made only a few fruit with each flowering. It is a vigorous grower and so is the Nam Doc Mai.

My Nam Doc Mai is like a big bush as a result of the cold of 2003, it regrew above the graft many leaders which I left to grow as they will. It is about 10-12ft tall and about that wide.

Alan

Nice looking fruit. How do you like the taste of the Nam Doc Mai vs the Bailey's Marvel?

My alphonso and NDM originally came from Pine Island Nursery in FLA. My Glenn was locally grown in Southern California.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Mangoes are either monoembryonic or polyembryonic. The monoembryonic types do not come true from seed, while the polyembryonics will produce a seedling true to type, trouble is, as the name implies, they make more than one seedling per seed, and usually the less vigorous seedling is the one true to type, though with multiple (more than two in some cases) it can be hard to pick a winner. The easy answer is get a grafted tree.

Seedlings can produce in a few years (5 or so) but have been induced to fruit (using magic and incantations) to fruit in as little as two years.

As I said and epicure said, get a grafted tree, unless you have lots of time and room for trees to produce or not to produce quality fruit.

You could always top-work a tree of poor quality with a good type, I guess, if you find grafting a fun-time thing to do.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

My Bailey's Marvel came from Pine Island Nursery as well. It was Eric there who first told me that the BM was a good candidate for cold hardiness. The Nam Doc Mai is excellent, even still green. When green it is rather tangy, when fully ripe less tangy and sweet with low fiber.

As to the Bailey's, ate one and pretty good but can't remember any details except I liked it.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

here is our kilimukku variety the tree is around 48 to 50 years old...it growing preety massive so every 2 to 3 years we keep trimming it ! and its around 3 floors tall ?

post-108-1212555918_thumb.jpg

post-108-1212555962_thumb.jpg

post-108-1212556001_thumb.jpg

post-108-1212556047_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

here is our kilimukku variety the tree is around 48 to 50 years old...it growing preety massive so every 2 to 3 years we keep trimming it ! and its around 3 floors tall ?

Kris, that is a phenomenal looking tree and fruit. You are truly at the epicentre of the mango world. How is the fruit?

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Kris, is it true? Are those thumbnails I see in your post? Have you gone to thumbnails like the rest of us?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I misread this but will respond as a Tropic. The Mango wars start religiously in all Neighborhoods in South Florida around August.To the victor go the spoils.

What you look for is what is looking

I remember seeing an article about the mangos of Merrit Island Florida in the Aug/Sept 2000 issue of FLORIDA GARDENING MAGAZINE

These are some of the northern most growing mangos that regularly produce fruit.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Dear Epicure :)

this is basically grown for the unriped fruit,which is used exclusively to make jams & pickels..! but ripe fruit taste mat (not too sweet) this is a feature of all the kilimukku's. i was told that it was propogated through seed.

And 90 perecent of indian mangoes we propogate through seeds and very rearly we buy hybrids or grafted ones..

here our popular varities are banganapalli,malgova,AApuus_local alphonsa's,runami,he mamm,sendura,peethar,neelam...the line-up seen here is based on its fruit taste !

while keelimukku is out & out used for making jams & pickels only !

Dear Keith :)

i have used thumbnails to upload pictures here because those stills were beyond two thousand resoultion mark so i had to downsize it any way and uploading such huge stills of my mangoe tree in others topic might slow down the pages loading..in return would irriate the topic starter ? And the day when this forum bans uploading of hi-res plams stills in anyform,i will quit this forum.. :unsure:

since i always think big is beautiful,be it a car,a mansion,a tree or for that matter a well built person ! i simply admire them.... :)

thanks & love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

OVer here, the most popular mango is Kensington Pride. Has a great flavour, really juicy, not too much fibre and is a tough plant. Has been around for many decades. I have tried a lot of the new introduced varieties, but this one still comes out a winner. It grows well from seed too.

The only trouble with seedlings is they can get quite large...here is one in Rockhampton.

big-mango.jpg

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

We have 3 mango trees here, 'Carrie', 'Keitt', and 'Ice Cream'. All flowered heavily this year . 'Carrie' and 'Keitt' are holding some fruit but 'Ice Cream' aborted all of them when they were about grape-size.

'Carrie'

img_1685.jpg

'Keitt'

img_1663.jpg

'Ice Cream'

ad49.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

OVer here, the most popular mango is Kensington Pride. Has a great flavour, really juicy, not too much fibre and is a tough plant. Has been around for many decades. I have tried a lot of the new introduced varieties, but this one still comes out a winner. It grows well from seed too.

The only trouble with seedlings is they can get quite large...here is one in Rockhampton.

big-mango.jpg

regards,

Daryl

I've seen mango trees that large in Hawaii and I always wonder.....what the heck are you going to do with that thing? How do you get the fruit before it crashes to the ground? They are spectacular to look at....just not eater friendly I would think.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

This is the largest I have seen around Orlando. There are lots of young trees that are bearing and getting some size to them. Many places sell them and the last decade has been very kind temperature wise.

e8d0.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 months later...

We have 3 growing. Looks like with a little tender care they will make it. I have no idea that species they are because my wife just throws seed out from the mangos we eat. We get all varieties here so it could be any one of them. These are the ones that have survived. We do have another one that is growing under several bananas.

DSCF2153-1.jpg

DSCF2152-1.jpg

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F

Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F

The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches

regards,

Daryl

WOW! That is the biggest mango tree I have ever seen.

Here is one that is gowing on the bay in Kehma, Texas and it was loaded with young fruit when we took the picture in May.

mango.jpg

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F

Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F

The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches

I have a small Nam Doc Mai in the greenhouse. This is probably a dumb question, but, if it flowers, why doesn't it always make mangos? Mine flowered (looked a lot like the photo Eric posted of Ice Cream) but the flowers just wilted and fell off. Instead of making fruit, the plant then made a new side shoot, kind of like plumerias do when the bloom and branch.

I live mangos, in fact I just had a Champagne mango about 30 minutes ago! Next to Guavas and Goji Berries they are my faves.

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

My wife loves mangoes.... I've been looking at planting a grafted tree soon.... I heard that "Keitt" was pretty hardy- 30 degrees young and 25 when established...and fruits within 4-5 years after planting.

Can anyone comment on which variety you would recommend for inland So Cal?

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

I've got a Glenn. It seems like it's having trouble getting started. It's thrown many branches but they're all small and don't look to be anything structural. I assume it's growing roots though, so next year I'll try and prune and get some decent growth.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Picture633.jpg

mango tree in bali.

i think thats where they were invented.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

mangos need a dry spell when flowering for good fruit set .. so now my massive trees are flowering , the rains are falling !! thus no mangos for me .. They do best in the dry tropics , or up on the tablelands . I had a very large one in Childers . They do very well in the sub-tropics , and many are grown in NSW .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

It will be a good mango season this year.... We have way TOO DRY dry season. Yum.... I can see them all around the mango farm already. Mine are still a few years away yet.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Here is a 30' mango tree in Point Loma, San Diego, CA. I believe it is the variety Haden.

There are many mango trees grown in San Diego. I have many pictures.

post-1786-1221370772_thumb.jpg

There are many fruiting mangoes in the Perth area. Some have planted them as street trees. The biggest one I've seen over here, would have been 40ft tall and about 40ft wide. Kensington Pride is the variety of choice, and is available in many nurseries.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

THey respond very well to pruning . Most commercial growers keep them very short and open to ensure ease of harvest .

They have a very deep root system so tolerate drought very well once established .

Great thick trunks and solid branches make for an easy tree to climb , so send up the little monkeys [children ] to harvest .

Thanks for the pruning tip Michael. Good to know.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

It will be a good mango season this year.... We have way TOO DRY dry season. Yum.... I can see them all around the mango farm already. Mine are still a few years away yet.

Hi Ari, how about a photo of those Mango plantations???

The first mangoes of the season have just started hitting the stores now...you beauty!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

There should be mangos on the trees along the road just before Ellis Beach . For some strange reason they are always super early . I have never stopped to try one , but when I drove the coast road frequently , I always saw people walking up and down the road with picking sticks and bags full of fruit .

• 1 year later...

Mango season started one week ago.

These are the old "gomera" mangos: rounded, yellow, fibrous, resinous, from hardy trees with stiff leaves.

RIMG0031.jpg

Mango has started really early this year... apparently even before mango pickers get to town :unsure: . Actually my 2 mango trees produce fruit this year!!! I have Kengsington Pride & Nam Doc Mai. I might take photos later this afternoon.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

• 10 months later...

I posted a "wants" earlier for mango seeds, and wouldn't mind discussing the virtues of a few varieties, since it's that time of year. I've decided to plant maybe 20 or 30 mango trees in the garden, and thought that Nam Doc Mai would be worth a shot. Why? Well, I'm not in a hurry, I don't have money for grafted seedlings, and I have plenty of space. Plus, it sounds like the best of the polyembryonic varieties if you are determined to go that route, as I am - although I'm welcome to any cautionary advice.

I'd like to container grow them in the ground, and wondered what sort of size they will reach before fruiting, hopefully within 5 years. Can they be pruned heavily in the years before setting fruit to create a dwarf tree? Looking for options, advice, and ultimately some seeds to work with.

You have to make sure they have polyembryonic seeds, otherwise they won't grow true to type. I have been told Nam doc mai is one of them. You can be lucky and they might produce beautiful mango anyway, but you might have to wait a bit longer than if you buy grafted trees..

Unfortunately, I don't grow them from seeds, so I can't offer anymore information for you about seeds grown mango trees.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

You have to make sure they have polyembryonic seeds, otherwise they won't grow true to type. I have been told Nam doc mai is one of them. You can be lucky and they might produce beautiful mango anyway, but you might have to wait a bit longer than if you buy grafted trees..

Unfortunately, I don't grow them from seeds, so I can't offer anymore information for you about seeds grown mango trees.

Thanks anyway, Ari. I'm interested to know where this species is sold - the fruit that is. Anyone who knows if they are available from their local market could be of enormous help! Also, a few members here are growing Nam Doc Mai, so I hope they might have some advice on growth rate, soil requirements, pruning etc. and container growing. It's irrelevant to me whether your mango was seed-grown or not, as I am talking about plant care 3-4 years down the line, and as you point out Ari, Nam Doc Mai is a polyembryonic variety.

I haven't seen them at the market, yet... John, probably a bit early yet. But they are available here locally. My tree is a tiny one. It has 2 fruits last year, and I aborted both of them since I want the tree to have some height before producing any mangos.

Soil requirements?? Can't be too picky.... as our soil is not the greatest... I know the mango farm next to our place prune their trees every year, but I am not sure whether you can prune them before they fruits... Probably ok though, as they only flower & fruit on new wood. Someone hopefully will correct me if I am wrong.

Another variety to try from seeds are Kensington Pride. Very tasty too... I had 12 from my tree last year...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I haven't seen them at the market, yet... John, probably a bit early yet. But they are available here locally. My tree is a tiny one. It has 2 fruits last year, and I aborted both of them since I want the tree to have some height before producing any mangos.

Soil requirements?? Can't be too picky.... as our soil is not the greatest... I know the mango farm next to our place prune their trees every year, but I am not sure whether you can prune them before they fruits... Probably ok though, as they only flower & fruit on new wood. Someone hopefully will correct me if I am wrong.

Another variety to try from seeds are Kensington Pride. Very tasty too... I had 12 from my tree last year...

Ari, I had a look at the Kensington Pride on the website of the Queensland Government (http://www2.dpi.qld....lture/5359.html). It says this variety is prone to irregular fruit-bearing, with low to medium yields, despite being the No.1 grown variety in Australia. I guess it doesn't matter if you grow enough of them. Some of the nurseries here in Spain do cultivate this variety, which means I can probably find the fruit locally. I'd much prefer to find a variety that isn't grown here.

So it looks like mango season down in the southern hemisphere is still about a month away? If you want to cook up some mango recipies Ari, I will pay for the ingredients! Seriously, I'm really keen to sow some of these polyembryonic varieties. Nam Doc Mai would be my first choice, but on the whole I'd be interested to know how much your mangos cost, since they are not a cheap fruit here, whether imported or locally grown.