IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So Who Here is Growing Mangos

epicure3

I posted a "wants" earlier for mango seeds, and wouldn't mind discussing the virtues of a few varieties, since it's that time of year. I've decided to plant maybe 20 or 30 mango trees in the garden, and thought that Nam Doc Mai would be worth a shot. Why? Well, I'm not in a hurry, I don't have money for grafted seedlings, and I have plenty of space. Plus, it sounds like the best of the polyembryonic varieties if you are determined to go that route, as I am - although I'm welcome to any cautionary advice.

I'd like to container grow them in the ground, and wondered what sort of size they will reach before fruiting, hopefully within 5 years. Can they be pruned heavily in the years before setting fruit to create a dwarf tree? Looking for options, advice, and ultimately some seeds to work with.

I can only comment on indian varieties ; almost none are grown from seed except when planted for ornamental reasons (courtyards, footpaths, etc) and these take 7-10 years to start bearing fruit when grown in good soil and climate. The grafted ones flower earlier but are naturally more costly, and have other disadvantages. But I can safely say that trees grown from seed display ten times the growth vigour of grafted trees.

When grown in the ground from seed (which is one of the easiest things to do I assure you) a good vigourous speciment will reach 20-30 feet in five years if not trimmed. Trimming must be done carefully for mangos as once they start to bear fruit, the load on the branches increases a lot and bad trimming and bad plucking can easily damage large parts of the tree. My trees fruit in a complicated cycle; on average each produces more than seven baskets of 15-20 kilos each.

The trees in commercial plantations are quite small, never more than 2-3 storeys high (25 feet) but those are all grafted.

I have two mango trees of two very different varieties at my Calcutta home - planted by me in 1989 / 90 and. The older one started fruiting in 1996 and the other in 1998. Both have been trimmed extensively once. I find that growth has slowed down a lot although the trunk continues to increase. Here are two photos taken a few months ago during the fruiting season

post-4418-12825058092838_thumb.jpg post-4418-12825057413075_thumb.jpg

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

We used to play "combat" ( yes I was Vic Morrow) with green mangoes as grenades..

Did anybody else do this ? :huh:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

About $2-3 a kg John during the peak of the season for normal season - cheaper by the box usually. I will let you know if you want. My husband is keen on drying them... I will let you know how the season pan out.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thanks Ari, sent you a PM.

Kumar, thanks for your photos and comments. I also heard that non-grafted varieties yield more fruit. Can you climb a mango tree as easily as an avocado tree? Just curious, how do you reach the fruits at the top?

You don't.... that is why you prune... and yes... you can climb mango trees...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thanks Ari, sent you a PM.

Kumar, thanks for your photos and comments. I also heard that non-grafted varieties yield more fruit. Can you climb a mango tree as easily as an avocado tree? Just curious, how do you reach the fruits at the top?

I use a bamboo pole with a 'V' crafted at the end by tying a flat long bit of wood or metal that has a sharp end. It's visible in one of the photos

And yes, non-grafted varieties do yield more fruit, usually of inferior quality. my mangos are good for chutney, pickle and raw - but not for eating ripe.

Climbing is easy though young trees have brittle branches

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

You can never have too much mango chutney Kumar, especially on a good curry!

:greenthumb: Even better to have it by itself. I finish bowls of the stuff, chilled in the fridge.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Calcutta, India

I found the videos at link below, featuring Dr. Johnathan Crane of the University of Florida, to be quite interesting with regard to the different characteristics (vigor, taste, texture, aroma, etc.) of various mango varieties.

It appears (from the series of short videos) that Johnathan is somewhat of a connoisseur when it comes to judging mango qualities.

If you love mangoes and don't have any juicy ones to eat, then I wouldn't advise you to view the "putting mangoes to the taste test" at below link, as it should make your mouth water:

http://fruitscapes.blogspot.com/

Mad about palms

Though I don't have one in my yard, they will grow in La Habra.

There's a specimen at the corner of Whittier booley and Orange Street, on the north Side, in the yard of the Hyland Motel, next door to Salinas Tire, Wheel and Noisy Stereo . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 years later...

We have 3 mango trees here, 'Carrie', 'Keitt', and 'Ice Cream'. All flowered heavily this year . 'Carrie' and 'Keitt' are holding some fruit but 'Ice Cream' aborted all of them when they were about grape-size.

'Carrie'

img_1685.jpg

'Keitt'

img_1663.jpg

'Ice Cream'

ad49.jpg

Those are great cultivars Eric. Many consider the mango the King of fruit. You sure do gain alot of friends when you trees are loaded.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B