IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Transporting palms

palmtreesforpleasure

These are the techniques we used in tranporting many palms.

The palms arrived in an extremely heathy manner and where packed in 100 F around 40c.

When changing countries or states it is assumed all the laws are being upheld.

When the palms where bare rooted (they filled completely a Town and country Chrysler van when in pots) we found in many cases the roots where very stiff and dry. This would have made it very hard to pack.

After washing of the dirt we left all the palms in water barerooted up 2-4 hours some 6 hours, we even let the leaves float around the water. This allowed the palms to soak up an enourmous amount of water. (It was a technique i saw at a nursey that sends 700,000 palm seedling overseas a year.)

The roots all softened and this allowed us to rearrange the roots at will.

3 methods of packing the roots where used

1/ We  packed the roots with green moss to start with but 2 of the bags where contaminated with soil and had to be discarded.

2/ When then moved onto very clean spagnum moss, this ran out during the packing.

3/ Then we used paper newsprint and plain paper.

The paper was socked in water and pulled apart to be able to mould it around the rotts as if it was moss.

In all methods the roots where rapped in wett newspaper and then wrapped in cling wrap which was taped firmly to ensure moisture did not escape

Outcomes

There was no difference found in the freshness of the plants 48 hous later when they where unrapped.

Not sure what would happen with paper over a longer period, if it stays moist there probably be no difference.

Suitcase preparation and Packing

Newspaper was laid into the base and sides of the case and sprayed with water. As the palms went in 3 more layers of wet paper where added separating the palms. balls of newspaper where used to locate and restrict movement of the palms. These where also sprayed with water. The next day before we left for the airport we opened the case and re wet the paper. (Some bubble wrap was added as well to ensure no movement as the palms had compressed over night.)

THe taller palms (about 8-9) where put into cardboard cylinder used for pouring cement columns. This was cut down to size. THe roots where packed in the same way.

The packed root balls where taped into the side of the tube amd the stems and leaved where supported by balls of wet newspaper and bubble wrap.

Outcome

The palms when unpacked and inspected at quarantine before being gassed where healthier than before we packed them. Gassing the plants to ensure no bugs survive, can reduce moisture content up to 30%.

Even after having no wrapped roots for 5 hours during the process other than layers of new wet newspaper over the roots(not packed around the roots) They arrived at the quarantine station (their new home for 2 years) in very good condition. The roots where still soft and had not dried out, the leaves where still full of moisture.

Plants and seedlings totalled 86 in the case and 8-9 in the tube.

It should be noted that the soaking of the leaves allowed them to be bent around the case without damage.

some pictures to follow

hope this information is of use to others

PS Australians would prefer seeds if possible as the cost of Quarantine is exremely high per plant, (think of a number and double it) we do not have the bugs or deseases so we do not complain about it.

pss source of suitcase, second hand store $14

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

This is the most important part of the packing without this it could not have happenned Any one contemplating this should have something like this in the process

species Palmazon

post-197-1158130239_thumb.jpg

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Many Thanks Danny

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Dear palmsforpleasure  :)

the method & explaniation is very clear to me.

and i usually grow my palms in terrace(roof top),

them they are shifted to the pits or ditch that are

dug and left to air for 6 to 8 months.

your tips will be very handy to me.thanks for

sharing your ideas & teqnickes with us.

i also request other members to join in this useful

discussion so as it will be of emence help to palm

transporters and shifters.

Love,

Kris(india).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

It's great to hear that the palms made it back to Oz safely.  It would have been awful if all of that effort and expense had been wasted.  Having experienced varible results with bare-rooted palms that I have received in the past, your experience may have restored my confidence a little.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Wow, what an undertaking!  Colin has the energy of ten men!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Sep. 13 2006,12:23)

Wow, what an undertaking!  Colin has the energy of ten men!

Only ten?

More like fifteen . . . .

He left Danny and me gasping for breath . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hey, Colin, nice to hear you and your wife got back to Oz, each in one happy piece!

And, good on you for the palms, too.

Keep us apprized . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Well done Colin, I'm glad to hear everything made it ok!

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

It's not over yet!  I've still got (6) Zamia variegata and whatever else Colin buys over the phone/internet that I will ship him.  More to come OZ!  I wonder if this is the largest introducton of plant species to Australia by one person.  Colin, "you'll be his, you'll be his, you'll be history!" ....get it, wizard of OZ?  :laugh:  :D  :D

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

When we arrived at the quarantine station only one person can remember palms coming in and that was about 14 years ago. Then they used to charge a few dollars per plant for everything and then they only brought in a few.

Now for the import permit. inspection fees, gasing fees come to $1350 plus monthly charges to come as well as inspection fees

Seeds are good for Australians, so why did we not just get seed?   For some there is no seed (spread by rhizomes)  No seed was forthcoming for jason and Daryl on the species we brought back

And some where the only ones that could be genorously donated to jason and daryl as the seeds had already sprouted.

And some seeds have been sent for other species to Daryl and Jason

Thanks all

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

I'd just like to say that I like the way India Kris spells.

emence and teqnickes for example. Looks better than the right spelling. Don't change Kris.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Dear Wal & Pohonkelapa  :)

Hey guys don't pull my legs in this jovial

fashion !

i will try to correct my Eng Language as &

when possible.

thanks for tolerating my language.

bye for now !

love,

Kris(India).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Sep. 14 2006,16:45)

Dear Wal & Pohonkelapa  :)

Hey guys don't pull my legs in this jovial

fashion !

i will try to correct my Eng Language as &

when possible.

thanks for tolerating my language.

bye for now !

love,

Kris(India).

:D  You kill me Kris. No I was serious, don't change, don't worry about the spelling, it's very cool how you spell.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(MattyB @ Sep. 13 2006,14:42)

It's not over yet!  I've still got (6) Zamia variegata and whatever else Colin buys over the phone/internet that I will ship him.  More to come OZ!  I wonder if this is the largest introducton of plant species to Australia by one person.  Colin, "you'll be his, you'll be his, you'll be history!" ....get it, wizard of OZ?  :laugh:  :D  :D

hey these are around now for only AU$6 ea. BUT if they are the heavily spotted form , they are worth importing

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

The Zamia variegata are extremely variegated and have shiney leaves. The ones that i have already have  a flat green coloured leaf with a few spots over them. These are very different to the ones i have see in Australia.

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Excellent Job, Colin....... You do have a ton of energy.... I can't wait to visit you and Denise in Oz...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Cari and you are welcome anytime

regards

colin

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

2 years - man talk about a money making scam...... By the time you get the palms they will be too big to get home!

Nice info P4P regarding the packing. Thanks

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South