IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

June 2008 Weather Thread

Daryl

Humidity is fierce as usual in South Florida.The Thunderstorms have become more predictable.It will remain about the same until Late August through Mid-Septmber,when the Monolithic Panic Train commences off Cape Verde!

What you look for is what is looking

I've had rain for 5, yes 5 consecutive days. Something is in the air.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

That's VERY strange, Ray for this time of year down there, but good because you didn't have to water as much...... We've been relatively dry up here with the exception of Monday night where I thought my yard was gonna blow away... We had this thunderstorm come through with 80mph winds - but miraculously, I had no damage... there were massive power outtages and trees down all over the place.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Hey...whats going on?

No such luck a bit further west!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

And here we are on the Gulf Coast breaking some all time record lows for June. Strange year indeed. I am still in Florida, but sure hope we had a few rains this week. If not, I am pretty sure I will have lost at least 2 palms, maybe 3.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Temps so far this month, see if you can notice any trends:

Day H L

1 98 75

2 98 76

3 100 76

4 98 75

5 94 79

6 96 79

7 97 77

8 97 77

9 98 77

10 99 77

11 97 76

12 97 77

13 98 77

14 97 77

15 99 75

16 100 75

17 99 76

AV 97.8 76.5

CDD first 17 days: 381

I thought we were the only folks to have High Low Temperatures.Is that normal?Also, what is your Humidity level?Interesting stuff.

Our High/Low yesterday was 90/72.I would say that is about normal.Year to Date Rainfall is 23.76" with normal 23.50".Lake Okeechobee is 9.25 ft. with average at 13.72 ft.South Florida Water Management likes to breed mosquitoes in our canals!

The rain still continues in Manaus. By this time there normally is a lot less rain than we have been having. The La Niña effect they say. I am here in Boa Vista north of the equator and the rainy season is in full force and the rivers are all high.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I thought we were the only folks to have High Low Temperatures.Is that normal?Also, what is your Humidity level?Interesting stuff.

Our High/Low yesterday was 90/72.I would say that is about normal.Year to Date Rainfall is 23.76" with normal 23.50".Lake Okeechobee is 9.25 ft. with average at 13.72 ft.South Florida Water Management likes to breed mosquitoes in our canals!

Yes, it is normal, the normal averge low right now is about 72-73F and is about 75F in Jul and Aug. So we're a couple degrees above normal I guess. The Avg in July/Aug is about 96/75 (with numerous 100s).

It also can get very humid around here, heat indexes are usually in the 100s. The high dew points come when the winds are off the gulf. We are only about 140 miles or less from the gulf. In general though, we are slightly less humid than FL, due to the fact that we are away from the gulf by 140 miles, as opposed to FL, where no place is more than 60 miles from water. San Antonio sits right on the border of extremely humid soupy SE weather, and drier air from the SW, so a lot of it depends on wind direction and whether air is coming off the gulf or not. This year probably isn't quite as humid because we haven't been getting any rain.

Edited by syersj

Gonna be a hot few days for Southern California this week. Yesterday topped off at 93 degrees in Huntington Beach. My pool was a balmy 88 degrees at 8:00pm. The palms and plumeria are loving it. Lots of growth and hopefully blooms to follow shortly.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Severe clear and upper 80s by the coast in SD. Supposed to cool down to low 70s by next week.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Unbelievable that we have still yet to have even one good summer thunderstorm here. I am going to bed yet one more night just leaving the sprinkler running all night in one of my large beds. And I promise you in the morning, we will not even have a single puddle to show for it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I got back from north of the equator yesterday and it looks like the summer dry season is starting to kick in here. But, there is still plenty of rain around. It rained a lot in Boa Vista, but then it is the winter rainy season there. I cleared up Thursday night and my partner and I had a good night listening to Brazilian country music, eating a good pizza and drinking more than we should have. It was about 72 F with a light breeze and nice humid air. A typical Amazon night.

dk

The local cowboy band. Boa Vista is cow country.

post-188-1214055064_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

115F high yesterday, making 5 of the last 6 days at 110F or above( a 109F in there). Now this is hot, dry or not. Only a fool goes out in the sun in the middle of the day for long. With the dry hot, I am adding sprinkler rain at the end of the day to cut the heat, limit the desication of fronds. This is the toughest time of the year for most of my palms, except bismarckias, and brahea armatas. Butias, sabals and even chamaerops slow down in this heat and may get dessicated frond tips. This mornings low of 74 F marks a 41F temperature drop since 5PM yesterday, the temp extremes are greatest in the dry/hot. Once the humidity rises to around 50%RH in the july/august monsoon, morning lows will be in the 90's, with lower daytime highs(106-108F). The shadehouse topped out at 105F(90% RH), 10F lower than ambient. Everything is happy in there with an hourly sprinkle and enough air exchange to allow for evaporative cooling.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

It'll probably only last 30 min or so, but I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF A THUNDERSTORM with big old raindrops. Yahoooooooooooooooooooooo. :D:lol::winkie::winkie:

We need this emoticon with a smiley. :badday:

No measureable rain in N. Calif. since Feb, and after a late cool spring, we bounced right into Summer. Yesterday and today in Walnut Creek it hit 106F. A forcast of cool breezes coming in from the Bay tonight, which will be a welcome relief for me and the palms.............and my dogs. It's so hot they have hung around in the air conditioned house all day.

Dick

Richard Douglas

It hit 96F yesterday and 93F today. The hardest part is it's still 80F at midnight, and I don't have air conditioning. :bummed:

Not stopping the palm planting though... This weekend I've planted 3 D. leptos, 1 B. hapala, and tomorrow I'm planting my C. macro' which is now opening it's first red leaf since I got it in November. Pictures to come.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Received 1.66in/42.2mm of rain yesterday. Today I have received .21in/5.3mm. June so far 5.07in/128.8mm and more on the way.

Scott-

Looks like I hogged some of your rain! 2.46" yesterday and 1.50" today. Although we really need the rain, enough already! A few days in a row with all these clouds I am wishing for blue skies again. Times like this make me realize that a rainforest climate would probably drive me nuts!

Also, if my station reading is indicative of what the official station in town read, then we broke an all time record low high temperature. The old record was 84F (1980), but with the rain that lasted all day, I logged a high of only 80F. However, the record high amount of rainfall on that date was 4.08" (1976).

Larry 

Scott-

Looks like I hogged some of your rain! 2.46" yesterday and 1.50" today. Although we really need the rain, enough already! A few days in a row with all these clouds I am wishing for blue skies again. Times like this make me realize that a rainforest climate would probably drive me nuts!

Also, if my station reading is indicative of what the official station in town read, then we broke an all time record low high temperature. The old record was 84F (1980), but with the rain that lasted all day, I logged a high of only 80F. However, the record high amount of rainfall on that date was 4.08" (1976).

Larry,

Send it my way. I could use it everyday for a week at least.

Keith

Cool world temperature map. Check it out.

post-1207-1214188484_thumb.png

Scott-

Larry,

My climate here is a rainforest climate and we get about twice the amount of rain that you do a year. But, it is sunny most every day. At least for part of the day. And, even in the wettest months it rarely rains all day. But, when it rains it can drop a lot of water real fast. It can be cloudy for several days in a row though. But, this does keep the temperature down. The big difference is that you never ever have to worry about having a freeze or anything close. The night time lows are always between 72 and 74 F. When I watch those of you up north during the winter watching incoming cold fronts and then dealing with the subsequent damage it makes me glad that this is not a factor that I have to deal with anymore. The worst I have to worry about is keeping things watered in the dry season. And, even then it rains.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Larry, You can hog all my rain for the next few days. I need to dry out a little. I also only recorded 80F on Saturday. Saturdays high temp. was 80.4 F recorded at 9:49 am/ Low temp 71.7F recorded around noon, that is the time pea size hail had covered the ground.

A very strange weather system moved through N. Calif. this past weekend. It was extreamly hot, (100+ F) but high based puffy clouds moved through the area. They were full of lightening, and moisture, but the air was so hot and dry hardly any of the rain reached the ground. The lightening started hundreds of forest fires in N. Calif.

This morning the air smells of smoke and the smoke haze is so thick you can look directly at the rising sun and see a large orange orb. The entire sky is pink. The news is reporting several large fires around the Bay Area, but fortunately the wind is coming in off the ocean and cooling things off and the temps. are back to normal. It's actually chilly outside this morning.

This has been the dryest spring on record for the Bay Area and the brush is tender dry. They are telling us to expect a long fire season and lots of them.

Dick

Richard Douglas

My climate here is a rainforest climate and we get about twice the amount of rain that you do a year. But, when it rains it can drop a lot of water real fast.

That is how I like rain to come......a big heavy downpour for a very short period (preferably in the afternoon), then the sun comes back out. Its the days like this past weekend where it really never cleared out that makes me long for the sun.

The big difference is that you never ever have to worry about having a freeze or anything close. The night time lows are always between 72 and 74 F. When I watch those of you up north during the winter watching incoming cold fronts

Awwww! Whats the fun in that!?!?!?!?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

The cold fronts keep things interesting :rolleyes:

Larry 

Larry, You can hog all my rain for the next few days. I need to dry out a little. I also only recorded 80F on Saturday. Saturdays high temp. was 80.4 F recorded at 9:49 am/ Low temp 71.7F recorded around noon, that is the time pea size hail had covered the ground.

I didnt get any hail in Tarpon Springs. I wish we did as Im sure my 3 year old daughter would have loved seeing it in the yard!

Larry 

The city just north of us got hail and 6" in rain in one hour. Caused a few logistical problems, but not something we are not used to.

12 inches of rain here since June 9th.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray, I figured you must be getting rain up there. I haven't heard any of your ramblings about the "south tampa desert" lately :lol:

Unfortunately, we can get 12" of rain in one day here, like we did last month.

So far this rainy season has been very nice with beautiful sunny mornings. Then it clouds up in the afternoon and usually starts raining around sunset. The cloudcover keeps the temps down in the afternoon and then the rain cools everything down further. June and July are my two favorite months to be in Costa Rica.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Larry,

I guess that does keep life more interesting. It is pretty boring here, no hurricanes, no cold fronts, and the days all about 12 hours long.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Ray, I figured you must be getting rain up there. I haven't heard any of your ramblings about the "south tampa desert" lately :lol:

Unfortunately, we can get 12" of rain in one day here, like we did last month.

So far this rainy season has been very nice with beautiful sunny mornings. Then it clouds up in the afternoon and usually starts raining around sunset. The cloudcover keeps the temps down in the afternoon and then the rain cools everything down further. June and July are my two favorite months to be in Costa Rica.

You have no idea about desert conditions :winkie: We have a a total of 3.94 inches of rain this year, and basically no rain in the last 12 months or so, and it has been near or over 100F every day for about a month straight if not more.

Update as of today, June 23rd. So far a total of 0.01" of rain this month. I LOVE HEAT, THIS IS WHY I LIVE HERE..

Day H L

1 98 75

2 98 76

3 100 76

4 98 75

5 94 79

6 96 79

7 97 77

8 97 77

9 98 77

10 99 77

11 97 76

12 97 77

13 98 77

14 97 77

15 99 75

16 100 75

17 99 76

18 99 73

19 102 74

20 94 72

21 98 71

22 100 71

Holy crap, now that's a hot place to live! We rarely reach 90 this time of year with much of the daytime temps in the 80's and nights in the low 70's.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Jeff,

That is what you get for living in the humid tropics, it is climatically boring. But, great to grow plants.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Quite an unusual spring here at my place. We average 60+ inches of rain a year, but have had less than one half inch of rain in the last 60+ days. During that time, just 20 miles away I have watched flash flood watches on the news. Definitely rain in the area, just not here. Frustrating as h@(( I tell ya. I planted over 15 new palms this year and so am dragging hoses all over these 3 acres, not to mention my $110 water bill last month.

Keith,If you get 60 inches a year,how far below are you this year?

Quite an unusual spring here at my place. We average 60+ inches of rain a year, but have had less than one half inch of rain in the last 60+ days. During that time, just 20 miles away I have watched flash flood watches on the news. Definitely rain in the area, just not here. Frustrating as h@(( I tell ya. I planted over 15 new palms this year and so am dragging hoses all over these 3 acres, not to mention my $110 water bill last month.

I'm one state over and I get about 30 inches a year. I don't believe we have ever had 60 inches in history. most ever is around 50.

I'm one state over and I get about 30 inches a year. I don't believe we have ever had 60 inches in history. most ever is around 50.

30" a year would be a flood here, might have to build an ark. We average 8 1/2 and the greatest in the last decade was 13. I suppose its all relative. Actually had some clouds today, kinda getting sick and tired of that blue sky, bring on clouds if not rain. We've had 1.5" since february. Im so thirsty for some rain!

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Keith,If you get 60 inches a year,how far below are you this year?

This is what is being reported at the local airport.

Year to date precipitation 18.82, normal average 27.84, so by that we are approx 9" below.

But most of that rain fell in winter, we had a wet one of those for sure. Spring and summer have been very unusally dry. Also I know for sure, we missed several big rains that hit the airport. I would bet we are probably closer to 14" than to the 18.82 reported above.

Good news is last night we got about a 1/4" and today at least another 1/2". 60% chance tomorrow too, so maybe things are returning to normal.

As Tom says it is probably all relative. The skies have held firm this week for the most part. There has been some afternoon build up, but no rain to speak of. I do not know exactly what the rainfall has been this year as it is not to easy to get this data on the internet for my location. But, it has probaly been between 1500 to 2000 mms or 60 to 80 inches this year so far. The transition to the dry season appears to be happening now. It still has been relatively mild with the temperatures in the high 80s or low 90s. I did see a street temperature sign today while driving around at 36 c / 96 F around noon. The temperatures in the weatherunderground banner at the airport which are normally a little lower than in town.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg