Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Question for RLR

Phil

Robert,

I've noticed on my computer with the new Site that sometimes the text and pictures take up about two monitor frame widths.  And, I have a 23 inch monitor.  It gets frustrating to keep going back and forth to see what is written.  But, sometimes on other posts it's all in the screen.  Is this at your end?  Or, do I need to do something at my end?  I didn't have this problem with the old Server.  Or, perhaps I've missed a discussion on this previously.

Phil

Jeff Wilson

Hi Phil,

I'm not attempting to speak for RLR, but I think the problem is that you need to put your resolution at a much higher setting. You also may need a good video card through the AGP Port with 128 to 256Mb of RAM. I do not know how old your monitor is. There may be some resolution limitations if the monitor is old. I have not had the problem you are referring to, but my resolution is set via: control panel -> display settings at 1280 x 960. Hope this helps.

Jeff

bgl

Jeff,

Not convinced that that's the problem/solution. My computer and monitor are both less than a year old. I decided to check a number of recent threads and this is what I found:

FITS ON MY SCREEN:

Basselinia gracilis

HIPS meeting

Old date palm

My first picture..

Palms planted in unusual...

Mazari Palm

Madagascar Exp....

DOES NOT FIT:

Langkawi

Singapore

Garden photos

Pritchard & Liv....

First pics.

ALMOST FITS (just a fraction of an inch too wide!):

The sun...

Thrinax....

C. macrocarpa

I noticed that all the ones that do NOT fit have photos, but there are also a number of threads with plenty of photos that do fit.

Bob??

Bo

Dypsisdean

Hey Phil,

I have a feeling it's on the user's end. Everything works great on my screen. However, it is a wide screen. And it is a Mac, so everything always works. :D

Dave Butler

Hey Phil, Don`t feel like the lone ranger I also have this problem and my res is set at 1024X768 and I have a 21in Sony trinitron. I have noticed this happens when a web page is made and you over extend the width.

Trópico

Some of the forum topics don't fit for the simple reason that there is at least one picture linked from a photo service (ie. photobucket) that was not resized to fit the screen. I always resize mine to fit the forum standard size. For me, 50% from original (1 Meg) works fine.

Mike in Houston

Trópico has the correct explanation. The problem is caused when one post in a thread contains a photo with a pixel width greater than your screen display resolution. If someone links (or uploads) an image that is greater than about 800 pixels wide then the entire message thread will display at that extra wide width.

An ideal solution is to only link to or upload images that are no more than 800 pixels wide.

It should also be noted that linked images in high resolutions can be quite large, even several megabytes, causing long download times for readers with slow phone modems.

So please downsize your large images to around 600 to 800 pixels wide before uploading or linking.

Phil

I didn't have this problem on the other (old) site.  Computer 1 year old, state of the art.  Screen 23 inches.  Only at this new site do I have problems.  No other locations on the net.  I think Mike might have it in that some contributors post big guys and that resizes everything.

Phil

Phil

BTW,

I posted at the Administration board the question of the blue background.  No responses.  I think it's harder to read than the previous white.  I'm sure those of you who are under 40 wouldn't understand this comment, but you will in time.

Phil

Trópico

The blue background is certainly easier in the eye but a contrasting font color will work best. The optimum setting on the other hand will be a light font on a dark background.

Orlando

Hey, guys, why are you using those large screens at those low resolution modes??  :o

Maybe you just need a most knowledgeable advice on this, so here it goes...  :;):

As someone already mentioned, the reason for that happening has to do with pics own resolution. For instance, if you right-click one of those Langkawi ones and select Properties you will see they have a 1144 pixels resolution on their largest side. Add to that the framing of the board and you need over 1280 pixels (I have a 19" monitor set at 1280x1024 and it still is a tad larger).

For instance, Phil, on a 23" monitor, or even Dave on a 21",  you should be able to set up to a maximum of 1920x1200 resolution and so get to see everything, with a medium graded graphics card... you can always choose an intermediate resolution (like 1600x1200 or 1440x900) and/or increase the size for your desktop fonts (in Display Properties) if they get too small to be easily read.

However, you should always choose a resolution that keeps your screen ratio, 4:3, 16:9, 16:10 or whatever (just think of your T.V. sets and the deformation that occurs when you do not set the image to the correct size according to the format of what you are watching).

Here is a link from Wikipedia with a more detailed explanation on the subject:

Screen resolution

Hope this helps and I will be glad to answer if any further questions arise!

Cheers.

Orlando

(Trópico @ Jun. 26 2006,11:10)

The blue background is certainly easier in the eye but a contrasting font color will work best. The optimum setting on the other hand will be a light font on a dark background.

Frank, light fonts in very dark backgrounds do really strain our eyes... :(

According to what I have read on the subject, the best choice is a neutral medium background (like silvery gray) and darker fonts.

Dypsisdean

For those with older eyes, here is an  extremely valuable trick when viewing webpages I haven't heard mentioned.  On a PC, when on a webpage, hold down the control key and use the scroll wheel on your mouse, or the "+" or "-" key if you have no scroll wheel. You will see the font size increase or decrease. (A different key stroke works on a Mac. PM me if you want to know.)

As mentioned above, many older folks have used other tricks to increase their font sizes for easier reading. Unfortunately this usually entails changing the resolution so some things do not fit your screen.

By using the scroll wheel trick, you can keep your resolution high and still read webpages with ease.

Robert Lee Riffle

Phil--

Please refer to Mike in Houston's response above, in the "Blue Background" thread.  It's quite quick and easy to have the alternative "skin" (called Easy Read) installed for your view of the board.

In addition last night I made the default post color black; so that should also help a little.

Please let us know if this is an improvement for you.

--bob

• Upvote 1

Moose

Hey Phil, Don`t feel like the lone ranger I also have this problem and my res is set at 1024X768 and I have a 21in Sony trinitron. I have noticed this happens when a web page is made and you over extend the width.

:lol: One of the original Stumpheads! LOL :floor:

Raymond

What's a Stumphead Moose ?

Raymond

PALM MOD

What's a Stumphead Moose ?

Raymond

A Stumphead is someone who has been banished from the Palm Garden of PalmTalk.

Raymond

Thank you for the answer.

Raymond