IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When Virtual & Real Worlds Collide

RainForestt Robert

By the time we got to the crater all we were able to see was a bank of cloud that enveloped everything. BS Man about Palms strained mightily to see into the crater but had no luck.

DSC_0067.jpg

Surrounding vegetation.

DSC_0059-1.jpg

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

After spending 20 minutes or so hoping that the clouds would dissipate I decided to return to the visitor centre along one of the trails. I spotted a gentleman wearing a hat from my alma mater, Howard University. We had a chat and I found out he was originally from Guyana but had retired to Costa Rica. I felt then that CR has retirees from just about anywhere. He did indicate to me that the Arenal Volcano is spectacular to view at night.

After leaving the crater (I'll take everyones word that it was there) we ran into some schoolchildren on their way to visit the fog bank. They were just too thrilled to have their photos taken.

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

On the way to the Poas Volcano I had noticed many trees covered by red bromeliads. Some trees were positively spectacular.

DSC_0068-1.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

Along the trail we saw many interesting plants. I don't recall seeing any palms but there were numerous interesting ferns and flowers.

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0078-1.jpg

DSC_0079-1.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After the disappointment of the cloud cover at the volcano crater it was on to the La Paz Waterfall Gardens, which is billed as a hotel, nature park and wildlife refuge. There was no disappointment here and I can see why this is one of the regions premier attractions. When we got there our first stop was the rest rooms. It was the first time I ever took a photo of a bathroom.

DSC_0101.jpg

The rock to the left of the trash sign, with a frog relief, controls water output which then comes down the rock above the sink, a la "a waterfall". Very ingenious.

Looking out over the gardens you intially have little idea what lies there. Even though this is a very commercial enterprise, somewhat Disney-esque, it is somewhat unobtrusive.

DSC_0103.jpg

However, as you proceeded along the trails you began to encounter manicured beds and introduced species in a dizzying array. There were numerous native species, such as this Rattlesnake plant, Cascabel bijagua. This perennial herb is named after the greek word 'kalathos' for basket, because the flowers are surrounded by bracts. The common name, Rattlesnake plant, is derived from the fact that the flower bracts look like a rattlesnake's tail.

DSC_0104.jpg

This sign along the trail gives some idea about the range of attractions at the La Paz waterfall gardens.

DSC_0107.jpg

My first stop was the aviary. This was one of the occasions that we experienced some rain during the biennial. It was a little difficult protecting the camera from rain and dragging along my 20 year old heavy tripod, which I barely used. The aviary was a large, tunnel shaped structure in which many of the birds were able to fly freely. A sign indicated that all birds were legally obtained, some were confiscated by the CR government, and then donated to La Paz.

DSC_0109.jpg

Some feathered friends.

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0114-01.jpg

Another attractive bird

DSC_0131-1.jpg

I'm just too lazy at the moment to look up the correct name for this toucan in Ryan's thread. Go help yourself.

DSC_0136-6.jpg

DSC_0137-1.jpg

I caught this bird eating an insect for lunch. After he seemed pretty satisfied.

DSC_0147-1.jpg

DSC_0148-1.jpg

From the aviary it was on to the butterfly enclosure. Butterflies in all stages of development were everywhere, alive and dead.

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0189-01.jpg

There was a nice Areca specimen in the butterfly enclosure. Areca triandra? I'm unfamiliar with this species. Nice, glossy leaves.

DSC_0208.jpg

There was a beautiful passion flower vine along one rail.

DSC_0176-1.jpg

Red seemed to be the power color of the day. This cordyline also stood out.

DSC_0126-1.jpg

Numerous hummingbirds gathered at feeders. These gems of nature need to feed constantly to get the required energy for beating their wings rapidly when flying.

DSC_0218-1.jpg

Orchids. I loved the small orchid section. Many of the orchids were mounted and there were a few floriferous specimens. The high humidity resulted in many of them being covered with moss.

DSC_0019.jpg

I noticed the following orchid growing at the side of the road on our trip to the Arenal Volcano the previous day.

DSC_0021.jpg

Loved the sculptures here, and at other areas in the gardens.

DSC_0029.jpg

IMHO, Heliconias are some of the sexiest tropical flowers. La Paz's collection was pretty decent :drool: .

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0035-1.jpg

DSC_0037-3.jpg

For me the real attraction at La Paz was the waterfalls. That was the only reason I brought that heavy tripod so many miles. In the end I did not really need the tripod as I was able to get good shots at slow shutter speeds. These two are my favorites and I plan on having them printed and mounted.

DSC_0105-2.jpg

DSC_0160-1.jpg

I was impressed by the use of bromeliads in the landscape at La Paz. There was a dedicated bromeliad garden, but many of the blooms there seemed to be losing their edge, except for this magnificent Aechmea mariae-reginae.

DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0256-1.jpg

Additional bromeliads

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0236-1.jpg

Alcantera imperialis is really impressive in the landscape. Before going to Costa Rica I was only familiar with this bromeliad through Bo's photographs. I saw a ton of them over there. I was lucky enough to collect a few suckers in CR. The survivors seem to have rooted and are sending out new leaves. I anyone knows of a source of seed for this species please send me a pm.

DSC_0229.jpg

Sculptures at La Paz. These give an idea of the content of the gardens, an idea I like. Are there any good palm sculptures out there?

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

Robert! LOVE those waterfall shots, brings back some awesome memories!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Robert,

Great shots of birds and plants! And I certainly enjoyed La Paz too...and the lunch was pretty good as well. Definitely better than some of those lunch boxes! :lol:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bill, I really enjoyed the height, volume and thunder of the waterfalls! I took many, many photos and while there were a few nice ones, those two stood out. I am glad that they brought back nice memories. I know they do for me.

Bo, if the next biennial was in Costa Rica, I think that I would go again! But I am looking forward to Brazil where I hope there are no box lunches! The lunch at La Paz was delicious, and the choices were varied. Really good.

Outstanding photography, Robert! It was difficult to photograph the birds and butterflies, so I'm glad you got these great shots. Like Bill said, brings back some fun memories.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thank you, Kim. I also enjoy your photographs. Those from you African safari and Madagascar were awesome!

I'm coming to the end of the official part of the biennial, but I have a few more random photos that I might throw in here and there.

While on our way to the Poas volcano we noticed an elaborately designed cart that was drawn by two oxen. Little did we know that it was on its way to La Paz.

Here is a photo of Andrea Searle in the cart. Rumor has it that she has registered on palmtalk, but is a lurker who does not want her identity revealed. Come on out, Andrea. Wait, that may mean that Bilbo will be pm-ing you constantly. Andrea, Kathryn, Judy - Queen of Bling- were among the many catalysts for all the fun (and drinks) on bus 4. Could what was done in Costa Rica be legally done in the US?

DSC_0045.jpg

During the previous days, bus 4 attendees had contributed a gratuity for the CRT guides and driver(s). After leaving La Paz, Jeff Searle made a short speech, thanking them for their efficiency, knowledge and assistance in making our stay in Costa Rica so memorable.

DSC_0196.jpg

All the while we were surrounded by landscape which had a dreamlike quality.

DSC_0200.jpg

With all the formalities out of the way, I guess it was party time. All week long beer (Imperial) was the beverage of choice. For our last bus trip Andrea, Judy et al decided that mixed drinks would be served, in addition to beer. In addition, attendees were asked to showcase some skill in the Bus 4 Talent Show. Juggling, fire-eating, opera and pop singing, body contortions and some persons simply took their clothes off. Here are some of the highlights.

Paul Norris as hooter guy, delivering an Imperial beer to Jim Glock in his inimitable fashion.

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

I wish my lens was wide enough to capture the expression on Jim's face!

Fire-eater Bilbo

DSC_0206.jpg

Bill Olson, Opera singer extraordinaire

DSC_0208-1.jpg

Cindy Anderson, doing an excellent Celine Dione cover.

DSC_0209.jpg

All this was going on as the bus darted in and out of traffic on winding roads. It was a lot of fun. In Trinidad we would say that it was a nice 'fete', a good 'lime'.

I am sure Ryan may have a few high(low)lights to add.

Except for the farewell dinner that was it for the formal part of the biennial for me. That was only half of the fun of the biennial.

Earlier in the week on my way to the mall near to the hotel I noticed a number of ferns and other plants on the inside of a building I would later come to know as the convention center. Always eager to take a look at plants (I wish we could have checked out a nursery or two, or one of the businesses with those extensive shade houses) I stopped to take a look. Apparently it there was a plant exposition taking place that week and what I was looking at was the set up. I explained who I was, visiting Costa Rica with the IPS (this opened a lot of doors - think Cyrtostachys renda seeds) and I was invited to take a look around. I was told that the show would be opening a few days later. I noticed that a couple of the palms were mislabeled. To the unsuspecting or unknowing, membership in the IPS bestows a certain degree of authority. I made suggestions as to the true identity of the palms and there was much head shaking and note taking. Needless to say I looked forward to attending the expo. The previos day our return from the Arenal Volcano was delayed. After La Paz, we returned to the hotel relatively early and I quickly showered, changed and headed up the street.

24th Convention of Garden Clubs of Central America and Panama

Verde y Exuberante

Costa Rica - 6, 7, 8 May 2008

By the time I got to the auditorium I had only about 45 minutes to take in the exhibit. There was a lot to see. I could not really assimilate everything. In the end I took as many photographs as I could. This was a whole new dimension to drive by shooting.

Sign announcing the theme of the Expo

DSC_0219.jpg

Driftwood surrounded by cordylines, dracenas and heliconias. While traveling around the country I noticed many fields that were covered with Drancenas and cordylines. I imagine that somewhere a number of heliconias are grown for export.

DSC_0247.jpg

The focal point exhibit consisted of an artistically rendered waterfall surrounded by a recirculating streat, bamboo, dracenas, cordylines, philodendrons etc. I was quite impressed.

DSC_0222.jpg

More cordylines and dracenas.

DSC_0220.jpg

The exhibit had a bit of something for everyone. There was jewelry and art for sale, floral arrangements, orchids and plants for sale, educational exhibits and some lovely plants on exhibit.

DSC_0246.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

Among the plants that could be purchased was this Cyrtostachys renda, labeled as Tallo Rojo

for 25,000 colones. At 500 colones to 1 US$ this comes to about US$ 50.00. A pretty good deal I think. I looked closely at the potting medium and noticed that it was a combination of soil and rice husks, the latter an additive to potting medium that I was to see again in Costa Rica. I have since taken to incorporating the same into my medium with good results.

DSC_0229-1.jpg

Sculptures on exhibit

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0236.jpg

Prior to going to Costa Rica I was in touch with Dutch Vandervort from California and inquired about bromeliad nurseries in Costa Rica. He had linked me up with Chester Skotak, one of the premier bromeliad hybridizers. On the biennial free day I was to visit his nursery. Attending this expo convinced me that I had made the right decision in bypassing the white water rafting, zip lining activities the following day.

Bromeliads on exhibit

Vriesea splendens "Major" inflorescence

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0281.jpg

Aechmea fulgens

DSC_0279.jpg

Tillandsia

DSC_0292.jpg

The variety among bromeliads is astounding.

DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

I happen to grow this bromeliad. I love the foliage, as well as the flower.

DSC_0307.jpg

Close up of the flower.

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

Dutch! I know Dutch! He's the guy who first took me by Pauleen Sullivans D.D.!! Great guy.

Oh yeah- Great pix too :o

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Chester Skotak! Dish, please, more info... :bemused:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Spectacular bromeliads! And you obviously made good use of that Friday! Great pictures! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Incredible photos Robert. Ryan gave me the info on the lens you are using. I'm not going to be able to stop myself from picking one up.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes