IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

When Virtual & Real Worlds Collide

RainForestt Robert

Incredible photos Robert. Ryan gave me the info on the lens you are using. I'm not going to be able to stop myself from picking one up.

Now Dean. Scroll through this thread, and you tell me honestly, if a thumbnail thread even comes close to the experience. No way. We need to figure this out. Maybe IPS negotiate a secton on Photobucket, or something. It just ain't the same.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,

Let's not muck up Robert's thread with this conversation. But two quick points --- What happens if Robert changes his hosting company next year? And one word --- Bandwidth. PM me if you want to continue the discussion.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Thanks for all the kind words! Kim, I have a whole section on the visit to Chester (what a guy) Skotak, but not sure I will get to it before I head out on vacation next week.

Dean, that 18 - 200 mm Nikon lens is very versatile. You get a relatively wide angle and a decent telephoto in one swoop. There is always something I want to add, but money is always an impediment. My wife says I need to make photography pay to justify the money I want to spend. We can start a thread under administration re: photobucket. I both agree and disagree.

Back to the show! I need to throw in some palm related photos here to keep this on topic.

Close to the entrance of the exhibit the Cocos nucifera leaflets were braided to make this very attractive feature. The braiding is done in a similar manner when leaflets are used to create hats. Lots of skill needed to make these look so neat.

DSC_0212.jpg

Heliconia 'Sexy Pink' provides nice contrast.

DSC_0213.jpg

Gingers in a rustic wheel barrow

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

If you look in the background of photo 1 in the previous post you will notice bamboo poles with a created crown. Instead of being supported by bamboo, some of these were hung from the ceiling. I believe that the green leaves are those of Carludovica palmata, the Panama hat palm. I stand to be corrected.

DSC_0270.jpg

One of the interesting things about Costa Rica is its number of climatic zones. I was not surprised therefore to see an extensive rose exhibit by Solamente Rosas. The exhibitor spoke no English, my Spanish was close to non-existent, so few details were garnered. I don't grow roses, but I like to look at them.

DSC_0252-1.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

Not sure of these flowers, but colorful.

DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

If you were interested in the latest table settings there were many on display

DSC_0268.jpg

Avante garde center piece

DSC_0266.jpg

There was an extensive succulent display and many container gardens. For those with limited space these palnts are very attractive.

DSC_0348.jpg

Echeveria runyonii 'Topsy Turvy'

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

More succulents. I am really disappointed that I did not get the names of these. I would appreciate it if any succulent experts here can offer suggestions.

DSC_0318.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

Cordyline fruticosa 'Red Edge'

DSC_0309.jpg

C. fruiticosa ' Ruster Tail'

DSC_0311.jpg

C. fruiticosa 'Jacky'

DSC_0313.jpg

A small bamboo water feature. Apart from the sound of the water, the filling and emptying of the bamboo, and the accompanying clackety sounds would make a good addition to the garden, probably scaring off transient intruders.

DSC_0334.jpg

Can anyone tell me about mondo grass propagation?

Agalonemas etc.

DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0363.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

Anthuriums

DSC_0368-1.jpg

DSC_0367.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_0366.jpg

There was wide variety of ferns on display.

DSC_0016.jpg

Asparagus densiflorus, not really a fern, but called the foxtail fern.

DSC_0010.jpg

Platycerium stemaria is a lovely staghorn fern.

DSC_0049.jpg

More

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

When visiting the Arenal Hanging Bridges and Volcano our guide indicated that the monkey ladder vines, Entada gigas, as seen in the photo below, were often collected for use in the ornamental trade.

DSC_0216.jpg

Here they are used as a backdrop for philodendrons.

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

There were numerous heliconias on display. From the common H. rostrata to H. She Kong.

Heliconia rostrata

DSC_0076.jpg

H. 'Papa Orange'

DSC_0078.jpg

H. 'Red Caribbean'

DSC_0080.jpg

H. 'Corralisense'

DSC_0082.jpg

H. bourgaeana. I found the color on this heliconia very attractive.

DSC_0092.jpg

H. caribaea

DSC_0094.jpg

H. She Kong

DSC_0142.jpg

H. Red Iris

DSC_0140.jpg

H. Caribea Negra

DSC_0144.jpg

H. Islan Yellow

DSC_0146.jpg

H. Papa Orange

DSC_0148.jpg

H. Champeniana spp Mayan Gold

DSC_0150.jpg

Heliconia bijai ssp Sunsing Orange

DSC_0152.jpg

Heliconia Champeneana ssp Splash

DSC_0156.jpg

That's it for the heliconias!

There was a big display on hydroponic agriculture, complete with examples of the type of crops suitable for this method, medium, fertilizers etc. Some of the vegetables looked as if they were on steroids!

DSC_0204.jpg

The concept of recycling is heavily promoted in Costa Rica. The byproducts of banana cultivation are recycled to produce various paper items. A display showed step by step the process. It also compared how the banana paper was produced previous and the present day refined process. Very informative.

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0222-1.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0224-1.jpg

A couple of days later I saw many of these same items for sale at the airport gift shop. They were a little more expensive that similar non recycled items. All touted the fact that they were made of recycled paper.

A paphiopidelum orchid on display

DSC_0171.jpg

Of the many "floral" arrangements on display, this one utilized a palm infructescence.

DSC_0235.jpg

Art on display for sale.

DSC_0259-1.jpg

There were assorted crotons on display.

DSC_0123.jpg

Codiaeum variegatum cv veichii

DSC_0112.jpg

Codiaeum variegatum cv van Houtte

DSC_0114.jpg

Codiaeum variegatum cv. Mons Florin

DSC_0116.jpg

Codiaeum variegatum cv Punctactum Aureum

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

Codiaeum variegatum cv Show Girl

DSC_0108.jpg

Final croton photograph. Crotons are really great companion plants for the garden.

Codiaeum variegatum cv Grand Paget

DSC_0106.jpg

There were a few palms on display. Nothing special, especially after viewing cultivated and habitat specimens around Costa Rica.

Rhapis sp.

DSC_0099.jpg

A nice grouping of potted Licuala grandis.

DSC_0104.jpg

Cyrtostachys renda

DSC_0101.jpg

I really enjoyed visiting the garden club exposition. It was one of the unexpected highlights of the week. I wish that I had more time to examine everything in greater detail.

By Friday I was thinking that this biennial was a pretty good deal, definitely one of the best benefits of being an IPS member. I had seen spectacular palms and locales, met many new friends, put faces to the names on PalmTalk and really eaten a little too much. Oh yeah, I had collected quite a few seeds. Seeds really do need to be cleaned if you expect to travel with them. I don't enjoy cleaning seeds, and they had accumulated in the hotel room. My first attempt at cleaning had clogged the bath tub! I did not look forward to the task. Some of the other attendees spoke about staying up late at night cleaning seeds. When I mentioned this to my room mate, Donald Sanders, he suggested asking the hotel staff if there was anyone they could think off who would be interested in the job. After a lot of back and forth we found one of the gardener's assistants who said no problem, he would take the seeds home and clean them overnight. (This was Thursday) and bring them the following day. I would collect by 2 pm. So said so done. Best US$20.00 I ever spent.

There was much discussion about getting a phyto certificate. My comrade in seeds Ron Kiefert (Moose Knuckle) was in the same predicament. I mentioned that I would try to get one through Chester Skotak's company, Dura Flor. So on Friday morning Ron, Larry Noblick, Anders Linstrom and myself jumped into a taxi and headed out to Skotak's nursery.

A fine time was had by all at the nursery, we toured the shadehouses, checked out the hybridizing process, hung out in his office, checked out his property, collected a few specimens (Anders), discussed bromeliad production, discussed his book and hung out for a few hours.

Chester Skotak

DSC_0126.jpg

Larry Noblick, Anders Linstrom and Chester Skotak in one of his shadehouses.

DSC_0022.jpg

OK, I am off for a family vacation to palmy South Florida. No more posts for the next week. I hope you have enjoyed the trip so far.

I'm SO jealous that you got to meet Chester Skotak and visit his shadehouses!! Had I known that was possible, I might even have given up my river rafting trip to make it!! Do you have more photos of his plants? He's quite the hybridizer, highly esteemed. Also supposed to have a wicked sense of humor, which shows up in the names of his neoregelia hybirds such as 'Hannibal Lector', 'Clarisse', 'Norman Bates', and 'the Governor's Plea'. Other names he's used are 'Inkwell', 'Brown Recluse', 'Gunpowder', and 'Predator'. I haven't read his book yet, but I hear it's a fun read.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Robert,

Your cover on your travels are excellent. I've enjoyed it all.

Thanks,

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Additional bromeliads

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0236-1.jpg

Alcantera imperialis is really impressive in the landscape. Before going to Costa Rica I was only familiar with this bromeliad through Bo's photographs. I saw a ton of them over there. I was lucky enough to collect a few suckers in CR. The survivors seem to have rooted and are sending out new leaves. I anyone knows of a source of seed for this species please send me a pm.

DSC_0229.jpg

I think that seeds of these are pretty hard to come by because they flower once then die off and I have been told that they can take 75 years to flower. Seeds are also suppose to be tiny an will take ages to grow.

Over here people just propagate the tiny suckers. They speed up once they get a decent root system - I observe.

Best bet is to find yourself a young plant and just harvest the suckers. I think they also produce more of these tiny suckers when they are young. Larges specimens are suppose to make a lot less babies.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Back from the family vacation in Florida. A good time was had by all.

This is the final installments of this thread. Costa Rica is getting a bit passe. Time to start thinking about Brazil! But here are the last pictures.

We arrived at Dura Flor, Chester's nursery, about 45 min to 1 hour from our hotel. One of the first sights was of Alcantera imperialis and Aechmea blanchetiana, two of my favorite bromeliads.

DSC_0003.jpg

After meeting and greeting Chester ("Wow, one week looking at palms?") we moved on to the shade houses. I don't know a lot about bromeliads as yet, but there was a dizzying of shapes, sizes, colors and inflorescences.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

Bromeliad inflorescence

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

In the hybridizing area we looked at workers collecting pollen and pollinating flowers. Chester gave us a lecture on the process of making one successful cross. It is not a short process.

DSC_0080.jpg

Seed trays

DSC_0085.jpg

On the way from one shade house to the next we got our first view of these variegated Alcantera imperialis. Anders Lindstrom was very interested in obtaining a few specimens to take back to Noong Nooch. Unfortunately all but one pup had recently been sold. Apparently his variegated pups are bought and then sold at a 500% markup.

DSC_0090.jpg

Back in another shadehouse ...........

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

After a while of going from one shade house to the next we stopped in the office and talked shop for a while. One of Chester's ranch hands struck a pose ...

DSC_0128.jpg

After a while Chester said he had a palm close to his house that he wanted us to identify. We were happy to oblige, after taking advantage of his hospitality. On the way there, we saw many variegated broms

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg