IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Pembana

TimHopper

Dypsis Pembana...I have a few of these ground planted now. I got them as two leaf seedlings from Jeff at Floribunda. Here are some  photos of ten months of growth of my container grown one. Tim

Dypsisp.jpg

and the offset just sprouting.......

Pembana2.jpg

and current photos of the same plant

Temp012.jpg

Temp013.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Wow!, that is fast growth, and the palm is stunning. I never knew D. Pembana was this pretty of a palm, I have got to get a few of them.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Very, very nice - really like the trunk.

How tall will the pembana get?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Sunny,

According to POM, the stems will be 4-12 m. tall (12m=40 ft), and adding the crown, a mature individual is probably going to be around 50-55 ft tall. My tallest one is about 35 ft right now. It was planted in 1996 from a 5G pot and I'm estimating it was about 6-7 years old at that time. In other words, to reach 50-55 ft we're probably looking at 20-25 years from germination. Assuming an individual begins to trunk 3 years after germination (which would certainly be considered quick), and to reach that height in 20 years, that's roughly 2.5 ft of new trunk per year. That's pretty good.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Palmgo LIKE Dypsis pembana, even better than beans and cigars!

Look for a bunch of crazy men roaming the countryside with that buggy-eyed look, in search of D P . . . .

Me among them.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I planted one in June from a 7g pot.  When I potted it up from a 2g to a 7g, there were roots coming out the drain holes of the 7g pot about 4-6 weeks after moving it!  If anything it's sped up in the ground and I think it will handle full sun when it grows through the temporary banana canopy.   So far I'd say it's definitely a winner.  We'll see what winter does to it.  

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

My mom's 2 gallon is handling 1st half of the day full sun.  It's in a pot and she only waters once or twice a week no matter how hot it is.  Mine handled being dug up put back into a pot last winter with only older leaf burn.  It's now back in the ground and jammin'.  If you can, grow this palm, you'll like it!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Growing like a weed.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I need a D. pembana fix!

Wow, super nice palm and incredible growth.

Really glad to hear of a palm that grows that fast.

Well....I've always been crazy :P .... and after looking at the pics, my eyes are popped out.....soooo....."come out, come out little pembana....come out where ever you are!......." :laugh:

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

I think Dypsis Pembana are going to be really popular among collectors. They are very nice looking, and a fast easy grow. I'm not so sure that there is a solitary form. Mine have all typically grown an offset when the trunk base caliper reached about two inches. I have seen photos of single Pembana, but I wonder if that is a result of growing conditions. Tim

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Nice pics. I think these may be the next big thing. I just planted one yesterday from a 300mm pot with a base around 80mm across. These pics are inspiring. They get thru our winter real easy here, even opening new fronds during winter. Not bad for a palm from 5 degrees South.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Nice, fast grow :) Does somebody can tell me what the lowest tempeture he can got ? To germinated this palm, is that easy of must you wait a lot of months ?

Greetz robbin

Southwest

(Exotic Life @ Sep. 15 2006,11:14)

Nice, fast grow :) Does somebody can tell me what the lowest tempeture he can got ? To germinated this palm, is that easy of must you wait a lot of months ?

Greetz robbin

Easy germiantion, much like lutescens. Will probably survive close to 0C but will burn when young. Again, much like lutescens. I wouldn't think frost hardy at all.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 2 years later...

Come on moose, you're unearthing these great threads and not adding anything.

Do you have any pembana and if so how about a pic.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hmm.

This week on "Dypsis pembana Revisited:"

Two Palmers, sitting down to tea in the er, lush surroundings of Dave's estate, with servants hovering in the shadows:

"Well, I've found Dypsis pembana to be an enormous disappointment."

"Why?"

"It hates the sun, grows slow, and croaks easily."

"Perhaps you're being a bit hysterical? Have you considered therapy . . . . ."

"I've grown more than ten of them."

"Oh."

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wal,

hey... it's a terrific break from all those Jubea, jubeabutia, JubeaX syagrus, Jubea X syagrus X jubeopsis, jubeX jellybeans, parajubea,etc. threads. :lol:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

No one ever posts photos of pembanas of any size on this forum. Are they that new to cultivation?

I've seen maybe two images of tall ones by doing google image searches. I want to see one with a few feet of trunk.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

No one ever posts photos of pembanas of any size on this forum. Are they that new to cultivation?

I've seen maybe two images of tall ones by doing google image searches. I want to see one with a few feet of trunk.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm having a hard time getting them to grow to any size . . . .

The pembana I mentioned in the old post above did great. Here are a couple photos from last fall, it's added two rings of trunk since then (~2 feet of clear trunk now). This is the only pembana I've grown...maybe I got lucky. It's fatter than it looks in these photos, the base is about 8" thick.

IMG_2928.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Here's my Mom's that I refered to earlier in this thread.

It's funky lookin'. It's in a wierd spot that gets no sun in fall and winter but half day full sun in spring and summer. So it's constantly battling a shade grown leaf vs. a sun grown leaf. Back and forth it goes. Maybe it'll get used to it as it gets older. It is suckering as you can see.

post-126-1244665123_thumb.jpg

post-126-1244665144_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Sorry Wal - it was dark out when I posted.

Photo #1 glaucous crownshaft

Photo #2 overall view of palm

post-1729-1244665586_thumb.jpg

post-1729-1244665639_thumb.jpg

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Seems people are interested in seeing photos of Dypsis pembana so I will post a few pics here showing my one plant (clumping form) growing in the garden. I have posted a couple of these some time ago in another thread but here goes anyway.

post-90-1244681367_thumb.jpg

post-90-1244681404_thumb.jpg

post-90-1244681422_thumb.jpg

post-90-1244681443_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

That's what I'm talkin' bout! Those mildly droopy leaflets are a trip, and the trunk classic Dypsis. I have three about 5 gallon size, and am bent on getting at least one to make it here.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)