IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

THE LEGEND OF SYAGRUS ABREOJOS

pogobob

I've got several that we dug (plucked) up from Bob's garden last year. They're in tall 1 gallons and are throwing broad strap leaves about 18" in length. I've got a great group planting planned so I'm hoping that they come true to seed. Anyone have any large ones that came from Bob's plant? Do they look like the legend palm? BTW, I've had only one seed germinate out of about 30. Don't know why when they seem to sprout up all over Bob's yard no problem.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

if i can have some seeds i can be the johnnie appleseeds of baja california for this palm should be planted in our peninsula it is from here ! :mrlooney:

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

• 3 weeks later...
It was July, 1979, and I was in Baja California Sur Mexico 600 miles south of the border on a surf trip at a place called Punta Abreojos (open eyes) when I discovered the palm. On a cervesa run into town I noticed a lonsome palm tree planted in a truck tire. There were 15 ft of closely ringed trunk with hundreds of bottle tops for mulch in the coastal desert sand. This palm was very unique as only intrduced date palms and native Washintonias and Braheas are to be encountered in the arroyos and canyons. It was obvious to me that it was some sort of Syagus, as its trunk and seeds were similar. After purchasing a few cases of Pacifcos we stoped at the ice factory,as this town is a fishing villiage, and this is where we found the palm growing next to the loading area living on leaking ice bins, fish guts, piss and rusting bottle tops. What really caught my eye was the leaf structure, being extremely plumose, having about 3 times the number of leaflets of a normal queen palm (Syagrus Romanzofiana). This palm was wind blasted and stunted but loaded with large bunches of ripe fleshy fruit. There were no other of its kind around the villiage, and no one knew where this palm came from or how long it had been there. I collected 200-300 seeds and grew a good many to 5gal size. I planted one and sold or gave the rest away over the years. My palm is now about 30 ft tall and twice as robust as its mother, probably due to the better climate and culture here. Palm enthusiasts and casual plant lovers are always blown away by this beutyfull palm. Many collectors and knowlegeable palm experts have tried to identify her and so far no one can say with certainty what we are dealing with. The leaves are abou 20ft long and are endowed with about 3 times more leaflets and are much darker green than your average queen. The petiole is bare for the first 5ft. The fruits and seeds are larger and rounder and the whole fruiting bunch is considerably larger also. I recall a travel log storey on Palmtalk some time ago with photographs of some very simular syagrus growing in a mountain valley somewhere in South America. I think the author was from England. Anyway, to make a long storey short, and clarify any false hopes of finding the palm in Baja, unfortunatly the original has fallen victim to road expantion about 10yrs ago. This palm under a full moon on a windy and clear night is a breathtaking sight, a real eye opener, "Syagrus Abreojos"

Most me a pic Surf Nazi!

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

It was July, 1979, and I was in Baja California Sur Mexico 600 miles south of the border on a surf trip at a place called Punta Abreojos (open eyes) when I discovered the palm. On a cervesa run into town I noticed a lonsome palm tree planted in a truck tire. There were 15 ft of closely ringed trunk with hundreds of bottle tops for mulch in the coastal desert sand. This palm was very unique as only intrduced date palms and native Washintonias and Braheas are to be encountered in the arroyos and canyons. It was obvious to me that it was some sort of Syagus, as its trunk and seeds were similar. After purchasing a few cases of Pacifcos we stoped at the ice factory,as this town is a fishing villiage, and this is where we found the palm growing next to the loading area living on leaking ice bins, fish guts, piss and rusting bottle tops. What really caught my eye was the leaf structure, being extremely plumose, having about 3 times the number of leaflets of a normal queen palm (Syagrus Romanzofiana). This palm was wind blasted and stunted but loaded with large bunches of ripe fleshy fruit. There were no other of its kind around the villiage, and no one knew where this palm came from or how long it had been there. I collected 200-300 seeds and grew a good many to 5gal size. I planted one and sold or gave the rest away over the years. My palm is now about 30 ft tall and twice as robust as its mother, probably due to the better climate and culture here. Palm enthusiasts and casual plant lovers are always blown away by this beutyfull palm. Many collectors and knowlegeable palm experts have tried to identify her and so far no one can say with certainty what we are dealing with. The leaves are abou 20ft long and are endowed with about 3 times more leaflets and are much darker green than your average queen. The petiole is bare for the first 5ft. The fruits and seeds are larger and rounder and the whole fruiting bunch is considerably larger also. I recall a travel log storey on Palmtalk some time ago with photographs of some very simular syagrus growing in a mountain valley somewhere in South America. I think the author was from England. Anyway, to make a long storey short, and clarify any false hopes of finding the palm in Baja, unfortunatly the original has fallen victim to road expantion about 10yrs ago. This palm under a full moon on a windy and clear night is a breathtaking sight, a real eye opener, "Syagrus Abreojos"

Most me a pic Surf Nazi!

Hey Thugnut! just sent you some pics. We have thousands of seeds, want to trade for a board? :rolleyes:

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

i was over at boba a few weeks ago and grabbed some seed off the ground. and i have had no problem germinating out of about 2 or 3 hundred seeds id say a hundred have germinated in a few weeks... id get this stuff while its at its prime ripness

i was over at boba a few weeks ago and grabbed some seed off the ground. and i have had no problem germinating out of about 2 or 3 hundred seeds id say a hundred have germinated in a few weeks... id get this stuff while its at its prime ripness

I guess I need to start frisking you palmfreek! :lol:

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Anyone have any large ones that came from Bob's plant? Do they look like the legend palm?

Does anyone have photos of smaller 'abreojos'?

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Lets rename her the Queen Mary :hmm:

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

• 2 months later...

Hey Bob!!!

Had a baby,,, it's a boy!!! And yes,, i'll name it BOB!!!! i FINALLY GOT ONE TO GERMINATE!!! I hope many more will,

Thanks again!!!!!!

Mark

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

the legend palm is full of seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

I would love to stand in line for some of those seeds.

Jim Robinson

Growing in:

San Antonio, TX Z9a

Key Allegro, TX Z10a

I am not a Queen fan but that looks like an awesome variety.Great story and discovery.I think it deserves a re-name as" Du Jour De Jong". Queens seem to always look better in Cali.

What you look for is what is looking

• 4 weeks later...

I´m wondering,......f Syagrus ´´abreojos´´ is a hybrid the offspring probably will not be uniform in appearence.On the other hand if it is a queen mutant and it is self pollinated the offspring will look like mummy...Am I wrong?

Who can show some pics of how look the offspring of this fabulous palm????

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I only have one strap leaf seedling, but it has grown fairly fast with my cool nights. It's two or three years from having any adult characteristics. I think the guys in S. Calif. have some larger ones.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I think Deezpalms has one of decent size. I think it was in a 15 gallon but it might have been a 5 gallon one.

I have two in 5 gallon and they have been growing in quite a robust fashion. I'll have to take a look and see if the are pinnate yet.

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

I am not a Queen fan but that looks like an awesome variety.Great story and discovery.I think it deserves a re-name as" Du Jour De Jong". Queens seem to always look better in Cali.

Bubba, I'm not a big Queen palm fan either but this thing is on steroids :drool::drool: A truly legendary palm for sure! I have lots of 5 gals. and I'm planting at least 1 here in Cali.

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Bubba, I'm not a big Queen palm fan either but this thing is on steroids :drool::drool: A truly legendary palm for sure! I have lots of 5 gals. and I'm planting at least 1 here in Cali.

Stevo

Stevo you gotta take some to your pad in leilani :)

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Stevo

Stevo you gotta take some to your pad in leilani :)

Pogo, Thats a great idea! They would grow off the charts in Leilani. I was looking at the leaf structure of yours when I was there a few weeks ago and it's amazing! Nothing like a standard Queen.

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Hey thats a great story, you sound like Higgins on Magnum PI. What is the germ rate on this baby's seeds.

What kind of mulch are you using Corona caps or Pacifico?

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Hey thats a great story, you sound like Higgins on Magnum PI. What is the germ rate on this baby's seeds.

What kind of mulch are you using Corona caps or Pacifico?

Lately Stienlager caps have been the best mulch! Hah hah, Higgins would'nt last 5 min in my world old boy, chubby cheeks and all! :lol: As far as germ rates, 50% is reasonable, if you don't try too hard. They seem to germinate more readily on the ground beneath bigmomma. But then again, you are "The Germinator" What is your rate? :)

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

• 1 year later...

Hey All,

We have grown a group of the "abreojos" up to 15 gallon sizes and we are curious on how fellow "abreojos" palms are growing for those of you out there who have either gotten seed/ seedlings from us in the past. They seem to look more robust for us in 15g sizes already, any observations out there???

Braden :hmm:

Braden de Jong

Hi Braden

This is one of 6 that germinated from 100 seed ,growing slow but steady in my greenhouse until it gets to around 90 cm .

post-1252-12711433115302_thumb.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I planted a 15 gallon last year, but it looks like a typical queen palm at this stage.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I've got 8 busting out of their 5 gallon pots waiting to be planted. Mine look just like regular queens at this stage also.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I have one coming in the near future but if it multiplies anywhere near as much as a normal queen palm I should be able to supply the planet with seeds and seedlings in a few years time. (for a small consideration of course) I dont even have to pick them...the flying foxes eat the fruit and spit out the seeds which ricochet off my tin roof at all hours of the night and have to be raked up next morning. Those that I miss will germinate anywhere and everywhere. Maybe I could be the mother of the abreojos, sort of like a 21st century foxtail fad.

Peachy :rolleyes:

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

• 2 years later...

What's the verdict on syagrus abreojos? I've got one of these and it wants to be planted in the ground. Is it a regular queen or do the offsprings get real big like the original one?

It would be nice to know as it will determine where I plant the bugger.

When I see the pictures from Bob/Willowbrooks, it's clear this thing is a monster form of a queen:

syagrusabreojos2-450x600.jpg

I don't think it's any bigger than a regular queen. Just different looking.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

• 4 months later...

With all the seed Pogo distributed, the legend will continue.

Pogo - did the Blonde find a sugar daddy yet? :rolleyes:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 11 months later...

There are a lot of young plants out there; it's a queen palm through & through. Just a variable species.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I have one of these and I don't see anything special about it, there are quite a few local queen palms that look like Abreojos. I did also plant a Santa Catarina queen, this one is 3x the speed of the other queens, it's definitely a different beast.

I bought a bunch and didn't germinate a single one.....pretty depressing. Do any of the babies look like the mama?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 9 months later...

I have one of these and I don't see anything special about it, there are quite a few local queen palms that look like Abreojos. I did also plant a Santa Catarina queen, this one is 3x the speed of the other queens, it's definitely a different beast.

Hmmm, that may be a valid observation ... :interesting:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Hmmm, that may be a valid observation ... :interesting:

Especially the first part... But, I did get a good chuckle about it's "legend" status.

lol....

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

:greenthumb:

That middle one definitely has something going on. I assume that this one will eventually look most like it's mother.

post-126-0-33653800-1433432599_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-07222400-1433432604_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

To me they look like nice queens! Do they look any different from a regular queen grown up in San Diego,Matty?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

No, mine look just like a lot of the Queens around here. But the middle one has long petioles, a stiffer leaf, and more leaflets so I think it looks more like Bob's mother plant.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"