IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ceroxylon seedlings, how much sun?

Bennz

I've got a couple thousand ceroxylon seeds with beginnings of germination. I'm curious about how much shade they actually need when they break the surface, and if they would survive at least half-day sun from emergence.

I started growing Archontophoenix and Rhopalostylis in shade because that was what I was told to do, but now I find they grow well and with less hassle if in full sun right from germination.  They have far less issues with acclimatisation at planting.

My climate in Eastern NZ is reasonably sunny, and with high UV levels, with moderate humidity levels (average summer around 70%), and mild temperatures. Incidentally this is why so many NZers die of skin cancer, we get high UV levels with mild temperatures, encouraging outside living. Most of our neighbouring Aussies just get too hot around midday in comparable UV levels, and stay out of the sun where possible. I digress though...

Any expereinces with sunny Ceroxylon?

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Be careful!

I know you've got the clouds, but, I've found that Ceroxies KFC very easily when small, even under overcast conditions.  

On the other hand, you have a lot to work with, so you can experiment.  But if you want to be safe, keep them in the shade, or under shade cloth.

If you end up learning otherwise, do share with us.  And I'll pray for the souls of C babies I've inadvertently murdered . . . . . :(

On the THIRD hand (sprouting right out of my chest), you may be on to something with your observations about Rhopies and Archontophoenix.

Keep us apprised, mate!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I've got 100+ Dypsis baronii single trunk form seedlings grwoing in full coastal sun for at least half a day and doing great!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Dave,

your kfc ceroxylons, is it when they are introduced to sun for the first time, or is it plants acclimatised to winter sun that get burned in summer? Thinking obviously that if they oculd be started in at least some sun the adjustment might be less traumatic, as is certainly true  with Archies and Rhopies.

Dave, I'm currently introducing 3 leaf D. onilahensis to full sun too. A little burning so far, but hopefully they will be good ina few months..

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

• 5 years later...

In my experience with Ceroxylon and germinating rainforest palms in general,they tend to adjust to whatever sun they are placed to grow their first leaf at but...they may still burn when the temperature gets higher or the sun hours longer due to the sun movement. What i have found interesting about Ceroxylon though is that although most palms grow faster with more sun,Ceroxylon do not. They prefer a ''canopy edge'' type of position,with a few hours of sun(2-3hours of low angle sun seem the best with no noon sun) and high humidity,although that last one isnt necessary. So i think providing them with that,you will get the fastest growth and no burning problemssmilie.gif In my climate,Ceroxylon can handle a couple hours of noon sun during the winter but they burn partially when our hot sun and high heat of our summer are combined. As a few year old young palms though,they survive that fine with about 50% leaf burn annually and less growth of course than Ceroxylon growing at the canopy edgesmilie.gif

I hope that helpssmilie.gif

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Hi Ben, I think it depends on the species somewhat though I have not conducted thorough testing. A 2 leaf parvum put straight into most of the day sun never batted an eyelid but my Qunidios which are interplanted with camelias for establishment tend to burn a little as they reach above the canopy at about 8 feet. Amazonicum is another which seems to prefer some shade. Best is some sun some shade I think. And always keep the roots cool.

Ben I think some shade will help keep the numbers up but growing from seed in pots in direct sun will give you less survival rate but much stronger palms.Air movement is another factor.I have had pots of 50seedlings from shade put into more light and sun and half dropped dead within 6months.To much shade in winter I have found bad for seedlings as well.

Gary

Strange to see this old thread revived after 5 years! An update; I lost most of the seedlings to a night of infamy rat visitation. Then I planted a stand of the survivors seedlings in a small gully near a stream with remnant rainforest. The palms were handling the sun very well, but had less success when the neighbours cattle got in and ate them. A surprising number of the palms started to grow again, and the new growth was handling the full sun very well. Then we had a record wet spell back in april, when a little over 750mm (30 inches) of rain fell in a little under 48 hours. The entire plantaiton got covered in a massive earth slip. I have found one small leaf pushing through the mud. It doesn't look happy, but is handling the sun.

It turns out full sun was the least of my problems!

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat