IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ryan/Palmarum's Costa Rica thread

bgl

Ryan: I think the banana is post 24 on page 1 is Musa velutina. There may be an updated name, but I don't know it. I have some of these growing in my backyard, a gift from a friend. They do well here in Orange County, surviving the 2007 freeze with minimal damage at 29 degrees F.

Alan Brickey

Jeff Searle Posted Oct 21 2008, 08:39 PM

...It was just another classic moment of a great biennial.

BS Man about Palms Posted Yesterday, 10:55 AM

You can get a job with the National Enquirer any day you want!

Photographing the talent show was both hilarious and stunning in regards to what people in that sort of environment will do when 'egged' on and encouraged. Many of the attendees involved had little or no alcohol so that can not be used as an excuse. People felt comfortable and were having a great time on the bus. They had wished to add their own contribution to the mix, being well-blended or otherwise. If I wanted to impress a tabloid, I would not have held back some of the photos, even though people keep messaging me, wanting to see them.

avb Posted Today, 12:16 AM

Ryan: I think the banana is post 24 on page 1 is Musa velutina. There may be an updated name, but I don't know it. I have some of these growing in my backyard, a gift from a friend. They do well here in Orange County, surviving the 2007 freeze with minimal damage at 29 degrees F.

Thank you very much for the ID Alan. That banana was still one of the few unidentified plants left on my list from Costa Rica. It looked to be a great grower and I have been wondering if collectors here in South Florida have grown any. I would certainly give it a try.

Ryan

South Florida

Thank you Ryan for your considerable internal fortitude in not succumbing to the base requests :mrlooney:

Good job, I thoroughly enjoy any event you cover.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Thank you Ryan for your considerable internal fortitude in not succumbing to the base requests :mrlooney:

Good job, I thoroughly enjoy any event you cover.

Robert

I heard Ryan was getting requests for some of "that chocolate cheesecake" ??? some were quite happy with the regular cheesecake too. :lol:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Oh yes, I see Ryan is now talking about the presentation that we used the translators to hear the speech as it was given in Spanish. No problem HAVING a translator, But,

whoever does this in the future, please make sure the "translator" has their equipment set up a good bit on the amplification as you can turn the volume down on your earpiece. It was very hard for me to understand in the beginning (several others said the same) as with my volume all the way up, Fernado was still ALOT louder in the room than my earpiece. It helped a lot when I got the translators to raise up their volume output.

Very fun all in all!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 4 weeks later...

May be we could get a translator who does not "blow the weasel" next time.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

moose knuckle Posted Nov 15 2008, 08:15 PM

May be we could get a translator who does not "blow the weasel" next time.

That poor guide will never be able to say that word again, after our reaction. He has probably switched over to an air horn by now.

Ryan

South Florida

I never saw that weasel again after that....

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan,

The pictures of everyone is once again reminding me of all the good times we had, and how well organized the biennial went. I'm already looking forward to going to Brazil!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ryan,

Looks like your Costa Rica thread is coming to its unavoidable finish! :( Outstanding photos and commentary - as always! :) And now we have a year and a half until the next one!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Ryan,

Looks like your Costa Rica thread is coming to its unavoidable finish! :( Outstanding photos and commentary - as always! :) And now we have a year and a half until the next one!

Bo-Göran

Yes, it is. I am working on the conclusion now, which I am writing as a whole so I can post it all at once. I photographed a wedding this past weekend so that has been eating up all my time in front of the machine.

Ryan

South Florida

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan,

I know that I have mentioned previously how much I appreciate your efforts in documenting the Costa Rica biennial. I would like to repeat those sentiments again. As a first time attendee it can be a bit overwhelming entering a club where everyone is so knowledgeable and at ease with each other. Having spent a couple of years on PalmTalk, my transition was made a bit easier. There were many reasons why I should not of gone to the biennial and I am so glad that I did not give in and stayed home. It will take a lot for me to miss future biennials. Looking at your photographs and reading your comments was almost as enjoyable as being there. I look forward to the dates and itinerary of the Brazil and I am dreaming of Thailand.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Ryan,

Thank you very much for all your work in putting together an excellent thread with outstanding photos and commentary. You managed to capture so much of the Costa Rica Biennial, and do it in a most professional and enjoyable way! And I really appreciated your closing comments. I believe you managed to verbalize the sentiments of all participants! :)

Thank you and Aloha! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

What a great way to re-live a palm and friend filled adventure. Thanks Ryan, for all your hard work.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Much as with the Biennial itself, I am sorry to see the sun set on Ryan's photos and descriptions of the Costa Rica trip. Having been on another bus, I had a slightly different perspective, but Ryan's work has added multiple dimensions to my experience, both in the sense of palms -- thanks for all the names and research! -- and in the sense of people and places. I'm sure I will revisit the thread many times between now and the next Biennial in Brazil.

Thank you, Ryan, for an excellent production.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

A hearty THANKS to you Ryan on your monumental task of documenting, then regaling us with our Biennial trip. I loved reliving it, and I need to get a great picture of me in post #341 in my Zen mode.

You were 100% correct, I had just been on zip lines, been in the rain forest, met a ton of new friends that were close by enough I could join them at any time and I was well fed. That picture captures me in my most relaxed state. Its been my screen saver since you posted it. Thanks :)

post-27-1229884640_thumb.jpg

Love the photo Bill! :)

Ryan, I'm sad to see you finish this also. I always looked forward to your new posts. Your thread is the best documented of all and it really did capture the spirit of the people and the event itself. You are an excellent photographer and I appreciate the time you take to research and post the correct names of the plants and palms you documented.

Thanks again for a great thread!

Pura vida!

Jeff

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Bravo, Ryan!

:D

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

• 2 weeks later...
Ryan,

I know that I have mentioned previously how much I appreciate your efforts in documenting the Costa Rica biennial. I would like to repeat those sentiments again. As a first time attendee it can be a bit overwhelming entering a club where everyone is so knowledgeable and at ease with each other. Having spent a couple of years on PalmTalk, my transition was made a bit easier. There were many reasons why I should not of gone to the biennial and I am so glad that I did not give in and stayed home. It will take a lot for me to miss future biennials. Looking at your photographs and reading your comments was almost as enjoyable as being there. I look forward to the dates and itinerary of the Brazil and I am dreaming of Thailand.

Robert

Robert - I am planning to go to Brazil as well. If the post Biennel rumors are true, that would be a don't miss opportunity. Hope to see you there!

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B