IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ryan/Palmarum's Costa Rica thread

bgl

Ha ha , sucked in, I knew if I said something you Ryan worshippers would fall in line, ha ha ha.....no I didn't, Robert's correct, I'm just anxious to see it all because it's about the best professional thread I've seen on this board since one of my own, not sure which one, but it's up there with this one of Ryan's.

Okay then, I'll just have to post some more of my own while I'm waiting, oh and thanks Ryan for that response and I understand the Photobucket to and fro situation, it is why I adore the new setup here that Dean has introduced with large picture files being able to be uploaded from my own pc, exit photobucket as far as I'm concerned.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Now we're talking'.................. how about the size/height of those Pinanga caesias?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Great picture of Rebeca! And yes, she was indeed very helpful and instrumental, and always responded right away to e-mails.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Now we're talking'.................. how about the size/height of those Pinanga caesias?

Wal,

I would say they wer somewhere in the range of about 6-8 meters, or about 20-25'.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Great picture of Rebeca! And yes, she was indeed very helpful and instrumental, and always responded right away to e-mails.

Yep! I'm glad Jeff pointed her out and said to make sure we said HI REBECA!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Ryan,

the mystery palm in post #61 and 62 looks like a Heterospathe. First I thought it was H. glauca but inflorescence appears to be quite different. Here's one of my H. glauca.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1215994322_thumb.jpg

post-22-1215994342_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

It really does resemble that Heterospathe that you have. I have never seen a Heterospathe look like that before, it is quite nice. Many of the species here in S. Florida usually have a rough-textured trunk and different leaf bases. The seed and inflorescence I photographed do resemble a Heterospathe, now that I look at it again. I think the reason the inflorescence looks different in your photo, is that it is newly emergent and purple in color. After it flowers and holds mature seed it will probably turn grey like the one I saw on the farm. It gives me a reason to try to grow H. glauca again.

Ryan

South Florida

• 3 weeks later...

Ryan,

Are you out there? You kind of just left us all hanging out here. Please don't drag this thread out.....

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

He was tired after the trip to the Herreros. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Ryan,

Are you out there? You kind of just left us all hanging out here. Please don't drag this thread out.....

Jeff

:mellow: You should have posted that last month, Jeff. Do you think he has been kidnapped? Did anyone get a ransom note? Check your PMs!!!! :winkie:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Ryan,

Great to see that you've started posting again! I was beginning to wonder if you were planning to stretch it out until the next Biennial! :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

That Bactris hondurensis in the parking lot caught ALOT of attention. I wonder if anyone "pinched" a few seed, and if they have started to germinate. This is a palm I have never seen offered before.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

Funny you should mention this now! For aiding and abetting, a couple of seeds were donated to me and one has germinated so far. I'm pretty sure some seedlings may show up as some of the So Fla palm sales in the future!

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Jeff,

Funny you should mention this now! For aiding and abetting, a couple of seeds were donated to me and one has germinated so far. I'm pretty sure some seedlings may show up as some of the So Fla palm sales in the future!

Robert

Robert,

I have no idea to what you are talking about. :winkie: But, I think your right, I'm sure a few plants will show up here before too long, yea.... :)

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan,

Thanks for posting all the photos yesterday and today. Certainly brings back some nice memories! I thought it was interesting, and a sign of how many PalmTalk members participated, that the last photo in post 104 shows 6 Biennial participants. And all 6 are Forum members! :)

Bo-Göran

Ryan,

Who knew that we saw so many different palms in Costa Rica!!!! Good job on the identifying. Hard for me to see the differences somethimes.

Robert

bgl Posted Yesterday, 06:49 PM

...Certainly brings back some nice memories! I thought it was interesting, and a sign of how many PalmTalk members participated, that the last photo in post 104 shows 6 Biennial participants. And all 6 are Forum members!...

That was a key moment in the biennial for many people, as it was their first few steps into a rain forest. It is amazing how many more Forum members there were in Costa Rica compared to the Dominican Republic. The increased popularity of the Forum is directly responsible I believe. The next biennial in Brazil will fill up even faster and they will have to increase the amount of attendees or it will sell out like a concert.

RainForestt Robert Posted Today, 09:40 AM

...Who knew that we saw so many different palms in Costa Rica!!!!...

Before the biennial, I went over the native Costa Rican palms that I see here regularly, but that was a small amount compared to what we saw there. The research helped a little in identification, but I saw palms I didn't know very well at all, namely the Geonoma species which we don't grow here often. It was a challenge for sure, but I enjoyed every moment of it.

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan,

As your posting almost everyday now, the memories are really coming back and it's hard to believe it was back in May. I'm still looking forward to some of the other parts of the trip, and like Kathryn said, the people pictures are sometimes the best. (except when I'm in them) Thanks !!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ryan,

As your posting almost everyday now, the memories are really coming back and it's hard to believe it was back in May. I'm still looking forward to some of the other parts of the trip, and like Kathryn said, the people pictures are sometimes the best. (except when I'm in them) Thanks !!

Jeff

Come on Jeff, a female friend of mine saw your picture and asked who the handsome guy was. She keeps asking about you and I told her that Andrea would knock her out!!

Aloha Ryan,

Regarding “Day 04: Tuesday, May 6th 8:32AM: A minute later, we made a slight turn to the right and we could see in the far distance the Pacific Ocean. This might sound a bit corny for those of you who live near it, or have traveled a bit, but this was my first time laying eyes on the Pacific.”

Glad you finally took the advice to “Go West Young Man”.

Keep the great photos coming!

Dan

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

This is a wonderful documentation. Perhaps it could be made into some kind of a formal electronic documentation and distributed. The palm pictures are great, better than anything my primitive equipment and methods could produce. I completely missed Cryosophila guagara at Carara, great to see it documented.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Looking at Ryan's photo's I am seeing areas of Carera that my group did not explore. Not to mention numerous palms/plants etc. One lesson that I learned is to prepare before the biennial by checking out which palms can be found in the various areas.

Robert

Aloha Ryan,

Regarding your comment in Post # 163 in 2008 Biennial of the International Palm Society – Members Unite in Costa Rica, Featuring 8 Days of Palms, Biennial Life and the Exploits of Bus #4: “4:43PM: Graffiti was a popular sight among downtown buildings and structures. I could not read any of it, but there seemed to be a constant message that was trying to be implied.”

I also noticed quite a bit of similar graffiti lettering when our good friend Donald Sanders (Forum Member Name “Donald Sanders”, lives in Holualoa not far from my place here on Big Island) took me and Mike Lock (Forum Member Name “MikeL”, lives off Hana Road on our neighboring island of Maui) on the “Tico locals bus” to downtown San Jose for some choppin’ (shopping) at the open market El Mercado Central. Because I could see the acronym C.A.F.T.A. among some negative Spanish words I thought the graffiti might depict local sentiments against the Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA). I later did a web search, and below is a web link for those who are interested in learning some background on last year’s anti-CAFTA demonstrations in Costa Rica:

http://americas.irc-online.org/am/4062

Mahalo to our palm pal Ryan for continuing to post the great photos and commentary!

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

Ryan,

Jeff

Come on Jeff, a female friend of mine saw your picture and asked who the handsome guy was. She keeps asking about you and I told her that Andrea would knock her out!!

Robert,

Hmmmm, sounds interesting. But for now, I have enough women in my life. Well, maybe another grandaughter would be nice. :)

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ryan,

Really enjoying all your great photos and documentation of the Biennial! Gives us all a great opportunity to experience it all over again. :) And even though it would be tough to pick one day as the "favorite day" I would pick the Arenal day if I had to.... That was spectacular, to say the least. BTW, the plant in the second photo in post #184 looks like Miconia, but I'm certainly no expert!

Bo-Göran

That was one rollicking bus 4! What a trip. One for the ages, by far my favorite day of the biennial!

Ryan, I think Paul was signaling his intentions to vote early, and often with his index finger!

Robert

I forgot. Can't say this too often. Awesome coverage. Photo journalism should really be your calling.

Robert

Ryan,

I keep finding myself checking in everyday for more pictures and more updates. Keep it up!!!!!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Mike in Kurtisstown Posted Aug 30 2008, 02:07 PM

This is a wonderful documentation. Perhaps it could be made into some kind of a formal electronic documentation and distributed. The palm pictures are great, better than anything my primitive equipment and methods could produce. I completely missed Cryosophila guagara at Carara, great to see it documented.

Thanks Mike,

Finding C. guagara was a great find for me personally, as I like all members of the genus. There are tentative plans to make an extended version for Blu-ray DVD so it may be viewable on HD TVs. I have to wait for Blu-Ray technology to catch up, so it becomes cheaper as the presentation would never fit on a normal DVD.

RainForestt Robert Posted Aug 30 2008, 03:46 PM

Looking at Ryan's photo's I am seeing areas of Carera that my group did not explore. Not to mention numerous palms/plants etc. One lesson that I learned is to prepare before the biennial by checking out which palms can be found in the various areas.

Robert

During that segment of the topic, I forgot to mention that there was a fork in the trail about 2/3rds of the way through. There was sometimes, but not always a CRT staff member there to direct attendees to the right or left. The right fork led people much quicker to the exit and therefore the buses, while the left fork was an extended loop that went all around that corner of the park. I chose the left fork with the small group I was with. This area held much of the items of interest I photographed in the topic.

KONADANTOM Posted Sep 2 2008, 10:07 PM

Aloha Ryan,... also noticed quite a bit of similar graffiti lettering when our good friend Donald Sanders (Forum Member Name “Donald Sanders”, lives in Holualoa not far from my place here on Big Island) took me and Mike Lock (Forum Member Name “MikeL”, lives off Hana Road on our neighboring island of Maui) on the “Tico locals bus” to downtown San Jose for some choppin’ (shopping) at the open market El Mercado Central. Because I could see the acronym C.A.F.T.A. among some negative Spanish words I thought the graffiti might depict local sentiments against the Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA). I later did a web search, and below is a web link for those who are interested in learning some background on last year’s anti-CAFTA demonstrations in Costa Rica:

http://americas.irc-online.org/am/4062...

Dan, Thanks for the added info. It helped a great deal in understanding what I saw in San Jose.

Ryan

South Florida

Ryan, just a short note to say Thank You very much for posting the Biennial thread! I really enjoyed it and you are a great photographer.

San Francisco, California

In Post # 262, the plant with the red-flowered terminal umbel is a Bomarea species, (Liliaceae). There are even a few species that I can grow here in SF!

San Francisco, California

Darold Petty Posted Today, 10:40 AM

...the plant with the red-flowered terminal umbel is a Bomarea species, (Liliaceae)...

So that's what that weird plant is. Myself, along with a few others in that small group, were really impressed by this plant. I had not seen any member of the genus before and we were wondering if it was a more temperate vs. tropical plant. We were still very high up on the side of the mountain range. The blooms were very stunning and the leaves were strange as well. It is always good to affix a name to a mystery plant one photographs, like solving a puzzle. Thank you, Darold.

Ryan

South Florida

Jeff,

Robert

Robert,

I have no idea to what you are talking about. :winkie: But, I think your right, I'm sure a few plants will show up here before too long, yea.... :)

Jeff

Jeff - the Fall Sale is quickly approaching, how do the Bactris honderensis (sic) seedlinds look?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Moose,

I'm not sure. :winkie: I would think if one was to have a couple, they would be still be pretty small. Maybe just a spike poking through the soil, approx. 3/4 of an inch high, probably showing good green color because their still pulling nutrients from the seed thats attached, just about ready to unfurl it's first new leaf. Yep, I would say thats about how they would look if I had a few......talk to you later, knuckle head.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff and Moose, I'm guessing that if someone were to have a couple, they may look something like this .....................

DSC_0067.jpg

Nice Robert, I am aprehensive about the ones in my seed house - no luck so far!

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Robert,

Wow, and I thought you didn't have a green thumb. :lol: That looks great and mine are right about at that stage too. Maybe a little smaller. I need to check on them, I haven't looked at them in about 2 weeks.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan,

Your most recent pictures of Bus#4 having the talent contest was by far your best work. There were many excellent pictures of everyone, especially of Paul where he looks to be past out...."burp". That was great! Also some of the ones that captured the expressions of Robert, Jack and some of the girls. That day on the bus will go down in history. It was just another classic moment of a great biennial.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

You can get a job with the National Enquirer any day you want! :blink: